A Quick Opinion Poll: Foundations

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TheEmperorAugustus, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Which principle should ideological frameworks seek to primarily achieve?

Liberty 7 vote(s) 29.2%
Justice 8 vote(s) 33.3%
Order(Security/Stability etc) 9 vote(s) 37.5%
  1. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    So, I'm for the newsletter I have started writing about sub-concious effects of ideological foundations and how that effects the structures of society and ideologies within different parts of the world.

This is likely a topic far to large for the newsletter and is something I'd like to cover in more depth later in my career but I generally find the middle east protests to be somewhat uninteresting, just personal opinion.

Anyway: the question is what do you identify as the primary issue which and ideological framework should seek to uphold. I'm primarily concerned with the difference between Liberty, Justice and Order (Security) but feel free to comment if you have a different opinion.

Also, if you could post your place of residence and culture of upbringing that would be helpful.
    Feel free to discuss/comment as you wish.
  2. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Are the first two not related? I would argue that one cannot have liberty without justice and vice versa
    battleearl and slydessertfox like this.
  3. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Non of the principles here are mutually exclusive the question is whihc is more important. Perhaps by Justice I should have used Justice/Equallity, in fact thinking now I definately should have. For instance in a system of social health care should a privatised ulternative exist even if it lowers the standard of the public service. Yes would be liberty focused, the other Justice/Equality.

edit
    Im also more concerned with thought process. When you establish a legal system is it to ensure everyone obeys the same rules (equality), to protect people from having liberty infringed by others, or to ensure a society that is free of crime. Setting up a legal system will achieve all of these in varying measure, but what effect was most desirable to you?
  4. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sure freedom is nice, but I'd rather not have my people dying so the KKK can march.
  5. Kalalification Guest

Freedom is considerably more important than order and equality. There is no justice without liberty. Liberty is not simply some means to a better world, it's an end in and of itself.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  6. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    Preferably you'd want them all. If I had to pick though? Order.
  7. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    I'm going to pick order because you can't really have the other two without it.
  8. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
  9. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    Part ways correct.
  10. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    Best kind of correct.
  11. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    I like the order, but when does it become too much and inhibit Liberty.
  12. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Liberty. I live in Americana and was brought up in well not really one specific culture but I could guess Italian mostly. Why do I need to tel you my culture and country?
  13. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    As I said they are in some ways very interconnected. What I want to know is which is the most important one in your ideological opinion. Do you establish a Ordered society to ensure a maximisation of Liberty or do you establish an Ordered society as a goal in and of itself, with an increase in Liberty being a potential side-effect.

I'm interested in a personal hypothesis that hopes to (in some ways) explain differences in the success of different ideologies in different regions based on a subconcious ideological foundation. Read the newsletter if you want more :) Provide i finish in time, if not I'll submit it next month.
  14. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    Honestly, because order is closest to what I would have picket had it been an option. Function.
  15. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Thats perfectly valid. Mind if I ask your Cultural upbringing? I'm presuming Western-American but do you have any other influences in early development, or more specific influences?
  16. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    Texan. Lower middle class most of my life. Mother is fairly classical liberal, grandparents heavily conservative. (All in the American sense mind you.)

Probably not the sufficient answer you were looking for, but I suppose you can ask specifics if you want.
  17. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    No thats fine, and interesting. I recognise that a deep exploration of an individuals thought process is hard to do on a forum, and would provied masses of data mostly unusable as I'm interested in sub-concious effects.

Is classical Liberal in the American Sense equvilent to European Classical Liberalism or is it more American Social Liberal? : /
  18. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    European Classical Liberalism I guess. Probably would have been easier to say American Libertarian.
    TheEmperorAugustus likes this.
  19. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    It's liberal individualism. That being said, regionally (the south, bible belt states) you'll see some pretty Burkian conservative viewpoints regarding family values and the fabric of society being the most important.

To me you can't have liberty without justice because what good is liberty if it isn't enjoyed by everyone?
  20. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Born and raised in a Portuguese/Italian neighbourhood to a Portuguese/Slavic mother, with strong connections to her family, and a Germanic/English father, with much more ties to Hispanic culture than his own. I picked an answer based on what I believe is more of a necessity currently, and looking towards what has been happening in the past decade, I do agree we need all of it, but this is not the point, the point is if we were in a dire situation what would we choose, and why would we choose it, based on our cultural upbringing. (parents teaching you their history and culture) That being said, I picked order, we need secure jobs and an efficient method in keeping those jobs without major Corporate decisions to monopolize too much of what they do not need to, and we need stability to help bring this towards security.