Can there be another Yugoslavia?

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by TheKoreanPoet, Nov 13, 2011.

1. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Right now, the Yugoslavic region is split into several medium sized countries and a few small countries. My question is can they put their differences aside and form a unified country of South Slavic States. I don't think they can. Serbia fucked it up royally with their "ethnic cleansing" of the Muslim Bosniaks. Plus the crescent border between Croatia and Bosnia was formed over a war over land in that area. There is too much blood on each countries' hands to form Yugoslavia. Share your opinions.
  2. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If you go to Bosnia you know why new Yugoslavia is not possible for at least another two generations....
    Seriously one country has like 3 smaller country's, and if you are Croatian in Serbian territory in Bosnia you are going to be beaten or worse.
    And every territory has its own government etc there is of course the parliament but nothing gets done because when Serbians suggest some reform the Croatians and Bosnians kill the reform etc
    and a random fact: 60 % of Bosnia's budget goes to government officials :D
  3. ddbb089 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sfter the wars they fought to be free from multinationalism I think it won't happen by will but it could be if they need to but that's not really possible.
  4. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Tito was a one-off. Yugoslavia is gone. It's not coming back.
  5. mdhookey Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'm doing my master's thesis on Slovenia right now. Having been in Ljubljana this summer and Belgrade back in 2009, I talked to a lot of Serbs and Slovenes, plus two of my best friends here are Kosovar Albanian and Croatian. The most common feelings run something like: "Yugoslavia worked in the old days, but now it's impossible. It was a nice idea then, but it turned into chaos."

Slovenes turn to Italy or Austria for influence and virtually ignore old Yugoslavia. Croats still thump their chests proudly that they beat the Serbs in Serbian Krajina, but want into the EU quickly. Montenegrins want little to do with their neighbors, wanting more European and Russian tourists instead. Bosnia is a ticking time bomb between the Bosniaks, Croats and Serbs. Serbs have moved toward pan-Slavic nationalism, believing fellow Orthodox Russia guarantees their protection, while harboring very bitter feelings about Kosovo. Kosovo is mired in intense corruption and struggles of legitimacy as a separate state. And Macedonians struggle to make ends meat while accommodating a sometimes hostile Albanian minority.

In short, any pan-South Slavic state is pure science fiction for several generations.
  6. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    I'm pretty sure there is still too much tensions there and even a possibility for MORE war depending on who is in power in Serbia.
  7. Tito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I've spoken to Serbians when I was in Bosnia, and it was pretty hilarious. They go and attempt to wipe out Bosnians, and receive not much more than a slap on the wrist after 3 years of it. Then, when NATO finally gets off their asses and bombs Serbia to stop their genocide in Kosovo, they cry like little bitches about how the west is conspiring against them and everyone hates poor, innocent Serbia. Serbian nationalism is truly one of the most disgusting and destructive forces of the twentieth century.
  8. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Serbia is the real problem in the region, with some misconcieved notion they're going to unite former Yugoslavia.
  9. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    About Kosovo, do you think it should be its own country or should the region be split between Serbia-Montenegro and Albania? I think it should be split giving Albania most of the region and Serbia-Montenegro the northern part that actually might be Serbian.
  10. mdhookey Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I've talked a lot about this land transfer with my Kosovar friend (who's an awesome girl...she went through an enormous amount of shit in the war). On paper, it would look great. Kosovars feel very close to their Albanian brethren, and would give Kosovo sea access. Places like Mitrovica and northern Kosovo, which are Serb dominated and have no love for Pristina, should be handed back to Serbia. Additionally, the Presevo Valley in Serbia, which has an Albanian majority and also feels little allegiance to Belgrade, should be given over to Kosovo.

Sadly, any creation of of a Greater Albania would be the wet dream of every far-right Serb nationalist to call for a Slavic Orthodox crusade against the Albanian Muslims, who, by the way, are about as "Muslim" as most French or Czechs are "Catholic" (ie: not much). "It would cause World War III. Best not to," as my friend says. Serbs and Kosovars have maybe the most poisoned relationship in all the Balkans. They can't bear each other in the same room, let alone negotiate. Serbia sees Kosovo as its holy land, the site of the Serbs' famous defeat in 1389 by the Turks. Kosovars see Serbia as the beast that keeps stomping on their autonomy and culture. Serbia probably will not recognize Kosovo for years, it not decades, while Kosovo is recognized by 85 UN member states (nearly half the world).

It's a totally messy situation that has no easy answers. But, at least on paper, these land exchanges would probably solve a number of ethnic tensions.
  11. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Simple answer-no.
  12. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    I think we can all say we hope that another war in the region will not happen and we can hope they will reunite, but that is where it ends, at hope.