Do you think we are alone in the universe & why?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by JayJayGT, Apr 10, 2011.

?

Do you think we are alone?

Yes, I think we are all alone in this vast universe 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No, I think there is other intelligent life in the universe 5 vote(s) 5.2%
Maybe, but I'm not really sure 91 vote(s) 94.8%
  1. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    anyway all i was trying to say was it is a more real possibility than commonly believed. I am in no way trying to say tht there is definately 100 percent evidence that aliens exist just tht it is more real than we may think

edit:I was reading TIME magazine for the last 20 minutes and came across this interesting topic....

"To look for interesting life, you have to start by hunting for new planets. Without the proper place to live, life-at least as we know it-can't exist. That means a world that orbits a parent star in the habitable zone, just far enough away that its sun's heat keeps water in the liquid form. It has to be the right size too, up to three times Earth's size but not much more, with an atmosphere that maintains a climate that is neither too hot nor too cold. Two new studies suggest that these requirements may be easier to find than scientists believed.
    Both papers deal with climate simulations. In one, a French team analyzes Gliese 58Id, a planet that orbits a red-dwarf star about 20 light years from Earth. About twice as big as Earth, 58Id had been written off because it has one face almost permanently turned away from its star, rendering it too cold to possibly sustain life. Climate modelers, however, report that the light from 58Id's star is redder than that of our sun, which means it would penetrate the planet's atmosphere more efficiently. In addition, winds would carry heat from 58Id's day side to its night side, preventing total freeze-out.
    In the second,, more theoretical paper, scientists looking for greenhouse gases that wouldn't turn to frost when they got cold, the way CO2 and water vapor do, realized that hydrogen fills the bill. That means that for a planet up to three times the size of Earth, a hydrogen-heavy atmosphere could exist-and the heat trapping effect of the gas would allow life-sustaining water to stay liquid."

Srry for quoting TIME but it was easier. This could mean it could sustsain small bacterial life or no life at all or even life like ours.
  2. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I read a book that studied the future at the end of it. In it it spoke about three scientists that had a conversation about civilizations other than our own, the conversation moved on but then one of scientists shouts out where are they all? In theory there COULD be millions of civilizations throughout our universe, which would pose the question: Where are they all? If they developed a few million years before us then surely they should have the technology for them to arrive at our planet. The thing that worried him most was the realisation that not all would survive, and if his calculations were correct then the chances for our civilization to survive is minimal. Especially when you think about random events, meteor strikes, natural disasters, raptures (joke). Not to mention the human variable in the experiment of life, nuclear war, revolutions, genetically modified diseases.

However, there is another equation, The Drake Equation, that states there should be close to ten "Level 3 Civilizations", to quote Michio Kaku than inhabit our galaxy and as I'm sure you realise that severely decreases our chances of encountering any other advanced life. Lets not forget that our own evolution was a complete fluke. If dinosaurs had never become extinct, if our world was less fertile. A wide number of variables decrease the chances of advanced life. Furthermore, this theory seems to be more accurate and sustainable mathmatically and is probably completely correct.

I hope this helps you a bit.
  3. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Interesting. I think at least one civilization has to have survived long enough to have the technology to reach here. Who knows? Maybe they figured out how to use wormholes! But for the most part I agree with what u typed
  4. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    There is a distinct different between believing in the drake equation (kinda old nowadays anyway) and aliens that visit Earth.

Even then if life is kinda a universal norm (as the drake eq would lead us to believe) and at the risk of attributing human thoughts to aliens, why would a Dyson sphere equivalent species (magnitude of energy needed for wormholes) want to visit us?
  5. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    our resources. Like I said earlier, the survival of the human civilization way back when we first evolved COULD have been engineered by foreign lifeforms. So we might actually be based off another lifeform from a completely different planet

edit: also to see how advanced we are and to see if we would ever develop th technology to visit them and pose a threat to them in the distant future. also becuz they can
  6. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    Strangely one theory of the evolution if life is that complex chemical compounds originating from bio-material coated on an asteroid hit pre-historic earth, with bacteria and subsequent organisms evolving from that. Its kind of a cop out answer as more research is showing how complex carbon chemistry evolved on the planet, and how its possible to go from inanimate matter to bacteria, but its still a plausible theory.
  7. Watari Member

Message Count:
    This whole 'alien' explanation is starting too look very much like religion, you have a lot of questions and you answer them all with one answer. Religious people answer every question with god and you answer every question with the presence of aliens. It could be but it is very unlikely to be the answer to every one of those questions.
  8. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I think mythology as to be based on historical events and just misinterpreter of "mythified" Can we really think the ancients just made up seeing these "gods" come from the stars?
  9. Tito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Statistically, I would be very surprised if there isn't intelligent life other than us in such an immensely huge universe. However, the chance of us crossing paths is very unlikely. Or maybe it's inevitable that civilizations destroy themselves. We'll never know.
  10. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yes, if their isn't a shred of evidence.
  11. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    they dont just form one day and say "hey u no we should just decide that right now a random awesome dude came down from the sky 10 seconds ago" :roll:
  12. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    Statistically you really can't say anything if you only have one sample
  13. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, statistically it is an inevitability! Becuase, you calculate the chances of life being produced of more than a quintrillion number of planets in our universe. It is impossible that we are the only one.
  14. Kalalification Guest

Just an FYI that's not statistics in the conventional sense. You can't predict anything with a sample size of 1. But you could modify the statement to 'planets capable of supporting life' and model it. Evaluation of the material composition of our galaxy would probably give us a good idea of how many planets capable of supporting life as we know it there are.
  15. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    What if I said because the universe is infanatily large an infanite amount of types of lifeforms should exist
  16. Kalalification Guest

Problem there is that matter is finite, and life is made of matter.
  17. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    Mind boggling big finite, but yeah the 'statistical models' rely on a boatload of assumptions to define what a habitable planet is, and a leap of faith in determining what will start life.
  18. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    We cant be the only ones in the universe. Out of all the planets and stars out there and if the multiverse theory is true, u would have to be some medieval catholic priest to believe we are the only ones in the universe
  19. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This forum currently contains three midevil, catholic priests.
  20. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    theyve come back to haunt us.