Dreams

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Lighthouse, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    In your opinion what are Dreams? Some say its your brain expressing your phylogical feelings in a form of art, some form of time travel ( lulwut ), while some think its just an un-explained Scientific thing that could never be understood.

I honestly think that its Phycological because I have been thinking about something before sleeping and then I dream of it that night. Or when I have been worried about something I dream about that. I really can see no way else to prove it but go ahead and tell us what you think.
  2. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Dreams are messages sent by aliens bent on dominating our world. They plant hidden messages in our subconscious.
  3. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Dreams are the product of your mind processing information and trying to predict future events.
    Of course, variables for future events are endless, so dreams don't always make sense.
  4. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Fjandinn á manna vita áætlun ! Við verðum að drepa Chelsea!
  5. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    They are basically hallucinations.
  6. bender Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    a few days ago i was dreaming and in my dream i said something like
    "we should hire people with missing limbs so we spend less on food"
    i have no idea whet that means or what i was dreaming but i woke up laughing.
    ClaymanV likes this.
  7. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hmm, I thought the general explanation was that your brain was processing information you've gained beforehand. It's very suggestive, though. Still, apparently you've seen the face of every single person in your dreams, meaning that your brain holds much, much more information that you can "remember".

But really, dreams are messed up things that you experience while unconscious. It's just best to clean up your sheets and pants when you wake up and go back to sleep and forget about them as quickly as you can (which you do anyway), as they hardly have any meaning to them anyway.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  8. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I think a religous text once said that dreams are past events in your life or future events in your life. They were talking about reincarnation. Highly doubt it though, because I have had dreams about chucky and Jason killing people, and there fictional characters.
  9. Sisyphus New Member

Message Count:
    I know a lot of neuroscience is thinking that they have a lot to do with learning tasks, a sort of simulation. This kinda explains why they can be so odd, if you are trying to simulate a lot of random tasks you need to improve at or your brain thinks you need to improve at and you do this all in one night you could end up with some odd combinations. Personally I think Freud was full of it with his ideas of dreams. I'm not the biggest fan of him though so I guess I'm a bit biased.
  10. stupified619 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's just what they want you to think.
  11. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    We have already been over this. All dreams are masturbation dreams.
  12. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    The aliens want us to have masturbation dreams. Perverted or some kind of master plan?
  13. ClaymanV Member

Message Count:
    From what I know dreams are visual representations of feelings in your life and can be either direct or extremely indirect representations. Also sometimes your dreams don't make sense because your mind "connects" things quickly.

Examples,
    Direct: Say you dream about fighting in WWIII. That could mean you are afraid (when you go to sleep) and your brain put one of your fears (this time fear of being in a war) into place to represent that.
    Indirect: Say you go to bed happy about you're sports team winning their big game, then you dream about having sex with Jennifer Lopez while being King of Earth. You did not have sex with J-Lo, nor did you become King of Earth, but your brain took your happy feeling and represented it in a indirect way.
    Quick "Connection": Say you dream about a bunny running through a field, then a dragon killing it, then Napoleon leading an army onto the field. Then he gets off his horse and runs over to your crush and starts hitting on her. All of a sudden you get ready to move forward, but you've been on a giant floating pillar all along. It doesnt make sense... or does it? Your initial dream could very well have been about the bunny, but your brain quickly connects that to killing a bunny in skyrim, that reminds it of skyrims dragons, dragons make your brain feel empowered and strategic, that's where Napoleon leading an army comes in, and him hitting on your crush is what happened last week in school (well not napoleon himself, but someone short hit on her), and your brain feels the nervous afraid feeling of being near your crush uses that to connect and remind itself that your afraid of heights, and shows that by putting you atop a pillar.

And everything in your dreams you have seen before in your life, although they are not exact.

Example: You dream about a pervert driving a ice-cream truck with white wheels and pedo-bear on the side driving down the road. The pervert has the face of an old man and is skinny. You have, in fact, seen all of these before, but not the way your dream represents. You saw that old man in a wheelchair missing a leg when you were 3. You were scared of him then (because you didnt know better) so you'r dream changed it a bit so that he drove an ice-cream truck. You also saw an ice-cream truck before, but your brain (for whatever reason) decides to change it so that the wheels are white. Also your brain associated that perv with pedo-bear, so it decided to put him on the side.

Hope this all makes sense.
    TheKoreanPoet and UnitRico like this.
  14. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Dreams are successions of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that occur involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream

I don't even know how I got that kind of text. That's how right it is.
  15. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    dreams come when the brain is trying to arrange the stuff you have experienced or learned during the day.