Election reform muthafuckah!!

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Romulus211, Jan 22, 2012.

?

Yay or nay

Yay 14 vote(s) 70.0%
Nay 6 vote(s) 30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Well i have put forward a reform for the election that was looked by 2 mods and and they both agreed with me, (Uni and Observer) so basicly this is exactly what I proposed with minor changes to the length of the election and nomination period;

Aight bitches, no, i'm not going to do that. I will calmly write a list of reforms that I will create a thread about, my reforms:

1. Nomination question;

1a, user must have 5 nominations from users (to prevent randoms and clean up the election poll)

1b, users must state there nominations by post rather then like, this will make it easier to track nominations and make sure that people do not support more then one person, if in the case they change there vote, said user must then delete the post that they nominated the possible tribune in.

1c, Possible tribunes can not nominate themselves, this will allow people with the adequate support to run, and not worry about other nominees splitting voters because they share virtues, and want to enact the same "reforms"

2. Campaign threads;

2a, Nominees cannot create there thread until they received an adequate 3 nominations, this will help keep the PA clean and not clutter it with numerous threads.

2b, Nominees may not slander other nominees. (although I think this may violate free speech.) I think that it should be necessary to not slander other nominees, as this creates unwanted animosity between users and might create unwanted social cliques that will turn against each other into all out hate speech.

3. Actual Election time;

1a, once the nomination period ends which should take 5 days, after that a 1 day period of campaigning and waiting time will commence. (for aesthetics and final promises)

1b, The election will take 3 days of voting, during this time the poll will be created and monitored by staff.

State your opinions and problems with this system, and vote too.
  2. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sounds to complicated. The Rules currently are just fine if you ask me.

Also I hate to bitch but, 5 nominations? 50-60 people use the forum regularlly! We would get 1-2 people in the ending election.
  3. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Did Fey weigh in on this as well Rom? He had ideas for reform as well.
  4. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Exactly, it will keep the unmotivated out of the election and it will value peoples votes.

Well i created the thread yesterday and he hasnt been on that much so i figured I would take the initiative.
  5. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Careblast.

I doubt the majority of the fourm even care about these elections, I mean it was all fun and games in the start but now... meh. Sorry if i burst your bubble.
  6. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Also did you talk to the mods?
  7. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:

Yeah, but I admit it was hastily done, also don't expect this to pass immediately I expect this tho take at least 2 weeks.
  8. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    Hmm I will vote Yay because it seems like it might work.
  9. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Very nice, Romulus, however I don't think these forums are large enough so that we can have five votes for nominations, although this may be for the better.

And for election period, sometimes people might miss out, we want to ensure that people know where and when the elections are happening, should we either, extend the time to a full week? Or, give notices somewhere obvious? for example, we could put an Election Timer at the top of each page, the black profile menu bar, or beside the word STALIN!

I am all for everything else, and have no ideas on how to improve it.
  10. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    I was going to ask that it be 3 for nomination.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  11. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    This wouldn't be a bad idea and I also said 3 days for nomination 2 days for campaigning and other stuff then 2 days for elections.
  12. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That doesn't stop vote splitting. If anything it will increase it as candidates will aid in the nomination of people they are most similar too.

Running should count as nominating yourself.

How do we know if the candidate is being truthful then? Candidate A could make a thread and say he's done this and that for the people, and if someone says that's not true he can accuse them of lies -> slander -> delete post.

More good than bad though, so yay.
  13. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    Well, at least it will make things more smooth than the recent elections we had.
  14. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Didn't think of that, but wouldn't that mean that we would have tribunes that would have huge groups of supporters? because of user endorsements (not bribery)

I put this forward because slander is also a offense under hate speech and its more of a "just to make things clear" rule.
  15. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ultimately, there is no good way to combat vote splitting. Without political parties and thus with no clear frontrunners there will likely always be similar candidates sucking votes from each other.
    Viking Socrates likes this.
  16. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    First of all, some criticism, and as I've promised, I'll have a new plan ready. I made copy pastry of this from the Mod's Corner.

A: I won't include that in my plan, as it wouldn't be relevant.

B: Same deal.

C: Nah, I don't think people will notice others and their plans, and that effect will only be bigger with new users.

A: No. I don't think that will work out well, for the same reason as 1C. And besides, people can't vote for others if they can't read a constructive plan.

B: I don't think slandering will be a big problem. I can recall a little clique between Ler and Ronald, but that only made Ler look bad, so that's his own fault.

A: Not relevant for my plan.

B: Same deal.

Now I'm done bitching at your plan, I'll explain you mine:
    First of all, people nominate themselves after the mod (is it 0bserver or Pedro?) has posted a thread on the blog, by sending the mod in question a PM with a campaign speech. This speech will have to meet these requirements, they will have to be spoken about:

1) It must have proper spelling and grammar.
    Of course, a few spelling mistakes here and there will be tolerated, but stuff like consequently misspelling the one letter "I" is pretty stupid, and a Tribune should at least put effort in his spelling.
    EDIT: Never mind. If people would want themselves to look like an idiot, that's their own choice.

2) It must have content.
    This might be a more controversial requirement, as I haven't seen many campaign threads which have a plan at all. Most are kind of like this:
    "Vote <insert name> for Tribune, as I will only listen to you and fight for all of your plans with my life, even though they might be completely ridiculous and completely irrelevant to everyone on the forums, so vote for me and your dreams will come true!"

Again, I know these requirements will have to be spoken about. Anyway, on with the plan:
    The nomination period (this means: in which you can set up the PM) will take 7 days. After those 7 days, a thread will be put in The People's Assembly (we should really have a new sub-forums for it). This thread will contain a copy pastry of all of the nomination PM's if they meet the requirements. This is the place where all of the campaigning will happen, and the related conversations, issues and small talk. If a nominee wants to change his campaigning plans, he should PM a moderator the new version, and it should be edited in the original post.
    After another 7 days, a new thread with a ballot will be put on the home page (of course containing a link to the campaign thread), which will contain all of the nominees. This ballot will close after two days, and the Tribunes will immediately be put into office.

Any criticism, ideas, suggestions or questions?
  17. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    Fix't. (Although I am being quite liberal here.)
  18. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nice, I estimate a full year.
  19. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    I like roms original plan, except I would ask that electon times be longer, like five days, or until like the next saturday so that more people vote.
  20. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I think people should be able to nominate two tribunes since two tribunes will be elected. Also, I tihnk it should be changed to 3 nominations to be eligible. The election should last 5 days. Thats just my opinion.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.