Family History

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Artismoke, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Artismoke Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Title says it all. Discuss your family History and ancestors if you so wish. I am sure one of us here has something interesting to tell.

My Great-Grandfather served in the British Army in the Second World War and experienced the thrill of air-dropping behind enemy lines in France and driving a tank into a cinema accidentally.

My Great (x3) Grandfather was a wealthy salt mine owner in the north of England who was also involved with the British Parliament. Only his male children inherited his fortunes, however which means none for eventual me as I am directly descended from his daughter.

Another served with the East India Company in 1813, leading to me having Indian heritage.

There's also an orphan from Spain, microscope producer, and lots of farmers and peasants until at least 1600.
  2. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Thats actually really cool. I wish I knew more about my family, but I don't. I have roots in Germany and Scandinavia.
  3. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:

One of my old grandfathers whos dead now, Served in the Grand Armee under Emperor Napoleon if that wasent obvouis. I wish i knew more about him but i dont.
  4. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    My ancestors pwned yours in the Franko-Prussian war, WW1, and WW2, and out arrival led to the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo.
  5. JayJayGT Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I really need to know more.. but here goes.

My Grandfather was in World War 2 as a cook somewhere near the frontlines

My GreatGrandfather was in World War 1, so I believe and got to see that glorious trench warfare.

Further back all I know is that my family originated from Germany/Belgium.
  6. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:

Well most modern day French men have no love for thier history or even care about our allies, and think were the most badass country ever when really were not but were up thier. But i respect my hertige and culture and that of others but, you cant say that France was never awsome.
  7. JayJayGT Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Every country has been awesome at one or sometimes two points in history, but France's history is very "colourful". :)
  8. Maddog95 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I only remember bits of the history of my family name.

Apparently it came from a Spanish soldier who came to Belgium to fight the Netherlands after they declared their independence.
    He apparently hooked up with a Belgian women here and stayed and started my family tree.

I don't think the I come from is directly related (probably by female side) but that's about as war as I can trace it.
  9. Pharaoh Roman New Member

Message Count:
    Dad's side:

My (great great?) second cousin, Nicholas II, was Tsar of Russia ( I don't know if you're allowed to add greats to a cousin)

My grandfather was in the Navy during the Pacific campaign of WWII

Mom's side:

My great grandfather, Irving Borish, developed the first contact lens, the hard contact, as well, he literally wrote the book of optometry.

My grandfather was a Staff Sergeant, a drill Sergeant, and a Sergeant of supply during the Korean war, though never deployed to Korea.

a fairly rich history on my end, at least from what we know. Knowledge of my family tree is pretty scarce, mostly because the Romanovs went into hiding, and because of a mentally ill uncle who killed my grandparents on my father's side (different from the one in the navy). Yes, I am related to Tsar Nicholas II. Michael Alexandrovich was my great great uncle, and he was a sibling of Nicholas II.
  10. Artismoke Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I always had the hunch that my ancestor joined the East India company to get away from the situation in Europe. He visited the island of Saint Helena on occasion (where Napoleon was detained after the war) but was never allowed to get close to him for security reasons.

This is just my Great Grandfather's side of the family so God knows what other exciting things are out there in my family history waiting to be discovered. Nice that there is still a big chunk left for me to investigate and research personally. How exciting.

Also ha to the ha. A descendent of Russian Royalty on JosefVStalin.com!
  11. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Not to continue to nitpick, but the correct spelling is their.
    Anyway, It was just a joke. France has been extremely powerful for most o fits history, and has been a major pain in my ass in plenty of Paradox games.
  12. troll mctrollstein Member

Message Count:
    Dad's family:
    My Great Uncle killed North Koreans, ended up stepping on a land mine. My Grandfather was a pencil pusher in the US Army in Salzburg, Austria in the 50's.

Mom's family:
    Grandfather was apart of creating the tomahawk missile.
  13. RoyalAnarchist New Member

Message Count:
    Dad's side
    Granddad-American, half English and Welsh

Grandmother-Descendant of two full blooded Western Swedes who came to America.

Mom's side

Grandmother-Was a young kid in Sudeten Czechoslovakia by the time Hitler annexed it (every once in while in conversations about Germany she will say "Sieg Hiel" and do the salute). Her grandfather served as a lower level cavalry commander during WW1. During WW2 all her male relatives except her little brother served in the Wehrmacht and fought and died against the Soviets. She had to flee to Bavaria and was saved by the Americans after becoming destitute. That was where she met my grandfather.

Grandfather-All English American descended from settlers of the "original thirteen colonies" who worked as an occupation soldier after WW2 and found my grandmother. Afterwards he became an architect and many buildings and structures in Arkansas were designed by him.
  14. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    My great uncle was in a Japanese prison camp and lived through it like a total badass.
  15. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    My grandfather was a bomber crewman in WWII and was shot up over Italy and crashed in Yugoslavia.
  16. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    My grandfather was a top-gunner on a B-24 in WW2 in Africa and Italy
  17. Dudstraction! New Member

Message Count:
    my great grandfather was russian in WW2 and fought in the great patriotic war ( he was a sniper) his kills were 3 corporals, 4 captains, 8 sergeants, 1 colonel, 5 majors and 14 privates or recruits. U wanted history? there i gave it to u
  18. hitman27 New Member

Message Count:
    My grandfather was a soldier in the Nigerian civil war(for biafra).
  19. Kalalification Guest

My mom's side were German peasants for as long as anyone knows. Dad's side is a bit more interesting. Our name means "skirt-maker" in Turkish, but we're actually from Northern Italy. Were a guild of tailors, and that persisted pretty much up until the 1500s, when part of my family moved to Sicily and the others stayed in Tuscany. I'm part of the Tuscan branch. Anyways, in the mid-1800s most of my side of the family moved to Kansas and began farming (not farming anymore). The Sicilian branch also moved to America (mostly) and settled on the West Coast. More recently the Sicilian side of my family had founded a trucking company which is now nationally recognized. I know this stuff because we once called them up and asked if they were of any relation. They gave us some free hats and mugs and stuff and explained the history.
  20. CheFlegel New Member

Message Count:
    My great grandparents were from Russia and Germany. During the October Revolution my great grandparents from Germany fled to Moscow, from there they went and worked in Siberia for a few years, and then moved to Stalingrad where they both became factory workers. My other great grandfather, I am not entirely sure about his life before the war, other than again he worked in a tractor factory in Stalingrad, and that he fought in the war with his brothers primarily in Stalingrad. Not too sure about the generations before them.