Healthcare?

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by Warburg, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I wanted to hear your opinion on this important subject. Should you pay for it by yourself? What should be state run and what should be private? How should it be run? Is it fair that some people have to pay a large amount in taxes if they dont use it? Is it fair that some people cant pay their medical bill and live a normal life at the same time?(the last one might be biased :? )
    In short, public or private?
    Edit:Oh and how is it in your country and how do you feel about it?
  2. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    To be honest this was always a really hard one for me. I think it's reasonable , but the only problem I have with it is then I am paying for the constant health issues of the obscenely obese. I can handle treating lung cancer in smokers because it's not just smokers that get cancer when their elderly, other types of cancer are pretty frequent too.

Idk I am fence sitting at this point because some people just can't take fucking care of themselves and I have to pay for it, but at the same time leaving health care with the private sector can fuck over some well off people, even if they DO have insurance. ( I believe the insurance system in the united states is extremely flawed, way, way too corrupt)
  3. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Totaly Nationalised. There should be no other option as far as i'm concerned. Obviously this doesn't mean blanket cover though: if you continue to harm yourself for no reason (like mental illness) (and by this i'm talking about smoking, obessity etcetera) then you start having to pay extra. If you want cosmetic medical treatment you would pay for that, but on a state run system with high waiting times and priority to non-vanity ops. Additionally some crimes would include medical compensation in the senetence, like drink driving for example.

The way it is in Scotland is almost like this but without the caveats I mentioned for improvment. Although some services like opticians and dentist have been privatised and the Conservatives are trying to take this even further. In England they have to PAY for their medical prescriptions!

I would obviously like opticians and dentists and other services re-nationalised. And see all point of service charges removed.

edit- fixed epic failure.
  4. Toast Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    We've got the NHS in Scotland. Couldn't ask for better, they've certainly saved my arse without having to shell out money.
  5. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Your Scottish! :eek:

NHS is the best value for money. French have the best in the world and USA sucks, as always.
  6. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Well one of the trade offs is we have a better quality of health care then with a public system, and the wait times are shorter for routine procedures, although I know they are still quite lengthy for the bigger stuff because everyone clamors to try and use the best doctors. I'm not really involved in the medical field, so I couldn't give you hard statistics to back this up, but I'm sure you cats could research average wait times in privatized versus public health care systems.
  7. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
  8. Lenin Cat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Collectized. Hospitals, Clinics, etc should be owned by the doctors and operate completely on a nonprofit basis. Insurance plans should be consumer cooperatives for the entire community, with the payment based upon there income levels.
  9. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    As you said you dont have the statistics and I dont have them either, but I would say that the pros of public health care outweigh the cons.(and I really dont think the waiting times are any different) The state does not have to make money off of you. A private doctor does. I've heard about stories from the USA several times about the unfairness of the insurance system. Like if your father/mother have a genetic disease they will not insure you, or the costs are ridiculous.
    This seems pretty good to me, but how is that even possible, I've heard the Japanese visit their hospitals/doctors every month. :shock:
  10. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    they have something like 22 times more hospitals per capita
  11. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Healthcare should be nationalized and free to everyone.
  12. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
  13. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:

To be clear, I'm not really advocating either way at this point, just listing some arguments. One of the popular arguments is the waiting time argument, which on the basis that its popular and in the news, most likely means isn't true, but I'm asking one of my friends who's doing research in the area to give me some figures.

Another point with the private option, is companies can provide for your health insurance. I work for the local government and a lot of the government incentives programs for business stipulate that employers must cover x % of an employees health care costs. Before the economy collapsed, this was a lot more prevalent, but now a lot of smaller companies simply can't afford to provide health care.
  14. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    I'm inclined to sit on the public side due to their emphasis on preventive medicine. Plus I hate having to pay large fees for new glasses, how the hell am I supposed function if I can't see?
  15. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    I find this to be relevant.

[IMG]
  16. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Because

I AM CANADIAN
  17. Kalalification Guest

I hear CANADA is undergoing a period of sectarian violence, how's that working out for you?
  18. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Privatized is the best. Not only is it much faster and higher quality than public health care, it costs much much less overall. Also, the NHS is the 6th biggest organization (might be a little bit outdated) in the World, and the largest in Europe. It is by no means effective, in fact it sucks. Unless your poor, then you get to freeload off the Rich, and what do you care?
  19. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    Here are the 50 greatest Healthcare systems in the world, America's #37 and Canada is not fairing that much better at #30

[spoiler:1hwt4far]1 France
    2 Italy
    3 San Marino
    4 Andorra
    5 Malta
    6 Singapore
    7 Spain
    8 Oman
    9 Austria
    10 Japan
    11 Norway
    12 Portugal
    13 Monaco
    14 Greece
    15 Iceland
    16 Luxembourg
    17 Netherlands
    18 United Kingdom
    19 Ireland
    20 Switzerland
    21 Belgium
    22 Colombia
    23 Sweden
    24 Cyprus
    25 Germany
    26 Saudi Arabia
    27 United Arab Emirates
    28 Israel
    29 Morocco
    30 Canada
    31 Finland
    32 Australia
    33 Chile
    34 Denmark
    35 Dominica
    36 Costa Rica
    37 United States of America
    38 Slovenia
    39 Cuba
    40 Brunei
    41 New Zealand
    42 Bahrain
    43 Croatia
    44 Qatar
    45 Kuwait
    46 Barbados
    47 Thailand
    48 Czech Republic
    49 Malaysia
    50 Poland[/spoiler:1hwt4far]
  20. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:

1. Your colour tags didn't work.
    2. The last time I checked no unless sports teams count as sectarian violence.