Homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by CheFlegel, Apr 8, 2011.

1. CheFlegel New Member

Message Count:
    A topic me and my boyfriend were disusing and we both have varying opinions is:

Do you think Gays/Lesbians are born the way they are, or do you think it is a matter of circumstance and environment.

My boyfriend argues that regardless of where you are born, how you are raised and under which circumstances your sexuality will remain the same.

I believe it is a mixture of both, because scientifically homosexuality has been proven, but I also believe that the circumstances you grow up also have a play into it.

Your thoughts?
  2. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    I'm bi not fully lesbian but I believe that everyone who actually likes someone of the same sex was born that way. Although I also believe that certain things can influence it in life. For example, I have had a few extremely shitty boyfriends and my last girlfriend was awesome and I like girls more than guys now.
  3. Kalalification Guest

Eh, what people are attracted to seems to be a matter of personal preference more than anything else. I'm sure there is a large genetic component as well, but unless you are raped sex is always a matter of choice. To each their own and whatnot.
  4. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    So yes I think it's kind of a mixture of both. I certainly believe we're all born a certain way, either straight, bi or homosexual and that we will always be attracted to people accordingly but I believe that what you experience in life can influence your sexuality. If you're not born that way though I don't really believe someone can just become gay or become a lesbian.
  5. JosipBrozTito Well-Known Member

Message Count:

Talk of some one that swings both ways. :p

No, I don't think its a choice. I cant chose to be attractant to guys no matter how much the Christian right tells me I can.
    So id say I agree with your bf.
  6. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It's probably mostly environmental, although there are probably certain traits that are more commonly found (percentage wise) in homosexuals than heterosexuals. No one is "born" homosexual, the same way no one is born loving Pancakes or having a certain political position. It revolves around their environment and experiances with the situation in question. If one had a bad experiance when they first ate pancakes (for example), then they would be less likely to enjoy eating pancakes later in life. However, if someone tried eating pancakes and had an amazing time, had amazing pancakes, then they'd be more likely to enjoy eating pancakes later in life.
  7. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    For your information, I was born loving pancakes. In fact my first word was "pancakes".
  8. JosipBrozTito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If I'm in a place that serves the best pancakes, and I'm having a good time but when I try some pancakes fore the first time I don't like them. Then what?

I don't like the smell of rotting meet, but I didn't have a bad experience.
  9. Masterbrett New Member

Message Count:
    well I think its enviroment and circumstances because my teacher was telling us(her class) when we were talking about homsexuality(as a class) she said that there are football players who may have been straight when they are younger but have since only been around guys for most of their lives are know coming out and saying they are gay. whether they were gay to start with or being around guys changed them or somthing like that.
  10. nomoreheroes New Member

Message Count:
    I am not 100% sure if its my place to put a posting here not being gay myself but here we go.

In history the spartan warriors would pair up and become lovers as well as fighting together ,was this a choice or nature i not sure ? perhaps i am not clear with what i am trying to say ?
  11. Tito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't think it's a choice, I can't choose to be attracted to other men, because I'm simply not. I can't find the link, but I once read an article on an experiment done where they purposely had female mice born with more testosterone than normal and the female mice tried mating with other females. The increased testosterone production was the result of only one letter changed in the DNA sequence.

But really, it doesn't matter if it's a choice or not gay marriage should still be legal. It's 2 adult's consenting to be with each other, and it doesn't affect the life of anyone else.
  12. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    People don't just turn gay. You're either born that way or not. You may be bi and not realize you like the same sex until you start to try it but a straight person will never enjoy that. It's possible to not really know where you stand with your sexuality too. I remember certainly being confused.
  13. Fafe Active Member

Message Count:
    I think this is just a special case to a more general question: How much does genetics and the enviroment in which we are raised influence into formation of our personality?
  14. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Or it could be that they were afraid to admit they were homosexual because of how intollerent many of their "fans" are to homosexuality.
  15. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    YEAH! What a great argument! This one guy turned gay, so no one has ever been born that way. Why the fuck are you on this forum instead of curing all of Earth's diseases, you fucking genius?
  16. Ahobowithaids Member

Message Count:
    I will believe in childhood influence until proven otherwise. It just makes sense. I keep hearing about this evidence of genetic causes, but I don't know. The results of such tests are unclear and the idea just doesn't quite make sense as of now.
  17. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hold on a sec, Che is gay?!
  18. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Yup. But to me it makes no difference. My opinion of him was already set.
  19. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    no i dont judge him for it, i just had no idea is all.
  20. Dudstraction! New Member

Message Count:
    whoa never knew that :shock: but why are u always first to answer