Human Weakness

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by The Shaw, Jan 31, 2012.

1. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    What is it? What, in your opinion, makes somebody weak, or lesser? What are your opinions of those people? Would you describe yourself as weak, based upon your own definition? What are signs of weakness, or how does someone display weakness? What do you think causes weakness in people? How do you think someone could redeem themselves for being weak? Just some questions to lead us into a real philosophical discussion, something that is too rare on our forums. I dare not answer yet so as not to influence your own answers, but I will further down the line.

Now, entertain me with your attempts at intelligent thought, you cretins!
  2. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    weak·ness (n)

1. lack of strength or determination: lack of strength, power, or determination
    2. weak point: a weak point in the structure or arrangement of something
    3. character flaw: a feature of somebody's character regarded as unfavorable
    weak (adj)
    1. not strong or fit: not physically fit or mentally strong
    2. easily defeated: easily overcome or defeated
    3. lacking strength of character: not having strength of character
  3. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Dictionary master I see.
  4. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Looks like we have a smart ass here. You know damn well what I meant.
  5. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    This reminds me of the Dan carlin oldschool toughness podcast, Im going to have to look into that before I say my thoughts.
  6. Spartacus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well I think a weak person is someone who can't follow through with obligations or responsibilities. For example Someone who abandons their friends when they are needed or someone who goes back on their word, to me at least, that makes someone a pathethic person. I don't think I fit under this category because I always try to keep my word,but maybe othe people disagree.
  7. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Someone who has to watch Dan Carlins podcast to have an opinion is weak.
  8. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Like for first on-topic post. Interesting...
  9. matthewchris Guest

Weakness is someone who let's their emotions control them, rather than use them to their own advantage. A strong man is someone who uses his emotions to exert control and influence over others, and exploit others emotional weakness. On the flip side of the coin, a strong man could also simply control his emotions, rather than utilize them.

Another thing that defines a weak man is a refusal to recognize your own weaknesses. You can build a wall, but you need to know it's made of sand. A strong man can recognize his weaknesses, and improve upon them, or at least use them in a efficient fashion to control the weak of mind, who would try to mindlessly exploit you. People like to assume that your dumber than you actually are, so if you can give off a false sense of vulnerability, in certain situations, it gives you the opportunity to show your strength. Still, at some points, you can't give off that sense of vulnerability, even if you can control it. It's about being able to judge when the time is right.

Last thing is the lack of strong, spiritual conviction. I'm a firm believer that you need a strong belief in a G-d, or the lack of one, to be able to stand up in the face of your greatest threats. Apathy is not a effective support system. I would also say that a strong man can be both benevolent or malevolent, but a weak one is always malevolent.
    Sparticus 1244 and TheKoreanPoet like this.
  10. theteremaster Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    the deepest depths of the Australian netherworld
    Everyone is weak. The very things that separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom is that we show emotion, compassion and such. These things make us prone to manipulation and blackmail whereas other animals are strong in this regard.

A weak person is someone who does not acknowledge this fact and instead buries himself in childish fantasies in order to convince himself otherwise. A show of weakness would be an attempt to show no emotion, for this signals that you are insecure about what they may reveal.
  11. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Feel free to criticize others' opinions, people. That's how debates and such start.
  12. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Weakness is when people call others weak or inferior for their personal beliefs, ethnicity or sexual orientation.
    Weakness is when people let their own religion, ideology or political point of view get in the way on a personal level.
    Weakness is when people deliberately discriminate others for no matter what reason.
    Weakness is when people claim or state that they are superior to others for their origin, nationality, ethnicity, religion or anything else which people can't decide themselves. Everyone is equal, both morally and biologically, and it's time people start to realize that, God dammit!
  13. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    But surely emotion is the only thing that allows us to be strong, a man will fight alot more harder for something that he loves and has compassion for than an inanimate object that he will never interact with.

I could elaborate further but lack the time.
    The Shaw likes this.
  14. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    Actually I just wanted to use this as an excuse to listen to it, as it been one I have yet to listen to.
  15. Kalalification Guest

Weakness is when someone needs other people to validate their beliefs and actions. See things as they're meant to be seen and you'll have no time to care about what Joe Nobody thinks of you.

I suppose a more accurate answer would be that a weak man cares about what others think of his actions or beliefs based on their intent, while a strong man considers what others think of his actions or beliefs based on their appearance.
  16. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    I don't care about what others think of me at all. Does that make me weak or strong?
  17. Kalalification Guest

That's not a weakness of character, so I wouldn't call you a weak person, but it is an undesirable trait. It's important to understand what impact your actions will have on how people see you from a purely practical standpoint. The problem comes in when you are ashamed of action (or belief) because it could reveal your intent.
  18. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Self conscince... people shouldn't spend 20 minutes on what shirt to wear because there friend might think its weird.
  19. mattbenz99 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    in my opinion human a human weakness is that we are to impulsive we instinctively rush into battle without thinking out a strategy first
  20. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count: