If Nobunaga Oda Wasn't Killed.

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Aloysius, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Aloysius Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well this is a question that is not thought of much. What if Nobunaga Oda wasn't killed by Mitsuhide Akechi in a rebellion by Honnoji. What if the revolt was crushed and Mistuhide killed? How would it have affected Japan and the rest of the World?
    Chelsea366 likes this.
  2. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Oh man, this is one of my biggest what if questions. I have no doubt that Nobunaga would have gone on to take over all of Japan. I do not think he would have stopped there either, just like Hideyoshi I believe he would have invaded Korea. In my mind Japan would have become much less isolationist than it ended up being under Tokugawa rule, Nobunaga was very willing to use whatever methods it took to bring victory, no matter where they came from, he used guns to great effect. I believe Japan would have progressed more quickly under an Oda Shogunate and that perhaps the civil war could have been ended earlier, as opposed to Hideyoshi dying without a capable heir and Ieyasu seizing his chance at power, prolonging the conflict.
    madprince likes this.
  3. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    What about Japan becoming a Christian playground? there are some sources that say he converted to christianism, what would've happened to Japan if they became Christian?
  4. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    I don't think Nobunaga actually converted to Christianity but Japan would have been more open to outside influence for sure, this just happened to include Christianity. However by being open to outside influence the country would have developed more rapidly, benefiting Japan much more than being isolationist ever could.
    Edit: Sorry that wiki quote is so hard to read if you're using the dark background, just highlight it.
  5. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Yeah it is hard to read with the dark background =P. But I believe Japan would have become more advanced faster, do to Nobunaga not shielding the country from basically all foreigners. Also, what do you think would have happened with Japan in World War 2? Do you think they would have faired better had they not been isolated for ?hundreds of years?
  6. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    I can't change the color of that wiki quote. Japan was one of the super powers during WW2, they had developed quite well by that point in time but to think that far ahead in a what if scenario is a bit difficult considering how much could have changed.
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Yeah thats what I was thinking. Although I do think they would have had stuff like better armor, and probably a leadership that did not stress suicide charging at the enemy. Maybe they might not have even went to war with the United States.
  8. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Shit, if you're going to change history, WW2 may not have even happened. You never know what could change by altering even the smallest thing in the past.
  9. Aloysius Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I also wonder how America would have expanded its own Pacific domain. Would Japan have been more hostile towards other imperialist in the Pacific if they didn't rely on resources from the U.S. to modernize? Assuming the Japenese had taken land that had the resources even earlier.
  10. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    Britain, France and Japan would fight interminently for influence over China and maybe India.
  11. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    A very western influenced Japan, Play kessen 3 they pretty much made a good what if scenario, Nobunaga was very ambitious man he wanted to learn much about the world, Japan would be incredibly different today some would say more advanced, They would have pushed to increase there borders Nobunaga was not content with the size of japan, he wanted, More.... we might of even seen a colonial empire come from them colonizing Taiwan, eastern Russia, the pacific, Phillipines, the dutch east indies, Borneo, the possibilities were endless to him.
  12. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    He would probably have conquered all of Japan and have kept the borders open... Maybe would turn at some point against the Europeans and lead the Japanese invasion of Korea in 1592...
  13. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nobunaga would have probably looked to establish closer ties with Europe, as well as seeking to expand into Korea and possibly China.
    However, Nobunaga was also a genocidal maniac, and its safe to say the Japanese population would have suffered terribly under his rule, even by the standards of the time.
  14. Sokol-1 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I have to disagree with the statement of him being a "genocidal maniac", in my opinion he was more along the line of being a "Magnificent Bastard" he progressively supported arts, he was a keen businessman, and appointed his retainers and subjects to positions based on ability, the only bad thing that I could say about him was that his tactics tended to kill anyone who happens to be standing next to his enemies.
  15. Aloysius Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well there was that inccident in the 1570's when he raided and burned a sacred temple/monestary after he got fedup with the hmm i wanna say ikko sects but it could have been the buddist. (Please tell me if you know) He massacred everyone even women that werent suppose to be there anyway. This lead everyone to hate him and basically siege his domain.
  16. Sokol-1 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    As I said before he knows how to run a country, he knows how to run a war, he knows how to run an economy, the only thing his not good at is avoiding collateral damage.
  17. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    It was the Ikko Ikki yes.
    theteremaster likes this.
  18. Aloysius Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ah thank you. So yea they where stirring trouble and killing christians from time to time. Soo Nobunaga just said screw it and killed them. plus he didnt really like tradition he felt it held them back.
  19. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Of course... He used European guns on massive scale in order to destroy his enemies...
  20. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    I don't know much about that period so...I'm going to say that Japan would have been slightly more powerful and the Clan era over sooner?