Is Social Networking a positive or negative impact

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Vladimir Korchevsky, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Vladimir Korchevsky New Member

Message Count:
    Does it help us communicate and stay in contact, or spread unrest and revolution like in the middle east
  2. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Its very good because it helps people communicate. Arguably, the revolt in Egypt might not have even taken place without Facebook.
  3. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Short answer, not as big an impact as you would imagine.
  4. tiger Member

Message Count:
    True it helps people interact, but anyone notice how there are a lot more rude/racist etc. comments online than in real life?
  5. KC The Greater New Member

Message Count:
    Revolutions and uprisings have existed long before the internet was found, let alone facebook. It certainly has the ability to utilise people quicker due to the convenience it gives, but in no way does it play any important part in a political uprising.

Personally I do not see the appeal to such social networking sites. I see no reason in knowing what everyone is doing every single day or even minute by following their tweet or becoming a 'friend' in facebook. Sure it lets people communicate easier, but does that have any serious impact in improving relationships? There are many ways to communicate with another person whom you may not meet in a daily basis, such as phones, msn, letters (and emails for that matter) and so on. Social networking is not as revolutionising as people think. The fact that I don't have much friends (I am a very unpopular person) may be a factor I don't want it (it's depressing to know that you don't have friends everytime you check facebook), but more importantly I don't see why I need to depend my friendship with people through the internet. And I also don't understand the fact people just add literally anyone who wants to become a friend, the lack of such mentality is another reason for not having a facebook. My way of thinking is certainly old fashion, but I have yet seen a reason to change it.

With regards to extremists and racist using the internet as a platform to express their views it is inevitable, freedom of speech is a double edge sword, racist comments have existed before the internet, just by other means.
  6. KC The Greater New Member

Message Count: