Ivory Coast on the English political map

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by BattalionOfRed, Nov 15, 2011.

1. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    I just looked at an English political map of the world, and I was staring at a strange spot in the center-left of Africa, where it says Cote D'Ivoire. I thought this was weird because, isn't the name of that country Ivory Coast? I know it was a French colony at one time, but why was the name in French? Usually, cities are named in other languages, not entire countries, right?
  2. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    They speak french there, so I guess... But yeah I'm not sure. Nobody's sure when it comes to West Africa. Hell, they still use their name given by European merchants for their nation.
  3. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Yes they do speak French there, however, there are many countries which have French as their official language, but the name of the country isn't interpreted in French, and I'm not even reading a Canadian globe, even if I was, Quebec would just be Quebec, some islands in the pacific would remain their English name, so why isn't it the same for Ivory Coast? I have seen the English name used for the soccer team in the last World Cup.
  4. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Because thats their official name.
  5. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Their official name is supposed to be interpreted into English.
    Canada is the official name of the country of Canada, but Canada is actually a word in one of the aboriginal languages that existed here before Europeans, it means Land, but that doesn't mean I can spell it on a map by it's aboriginal spelling, so it is interpreted as Canada, it's English meaning. In the case of Ivory Coast, the name was given to them by French, Ivory and Coast are both words, but does that mean that as a French country, those words, acting as a name, should be used in it's original language?
  6. GeneralofCarthage Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The Correct name is Cote D'Ivorie. That's what everyone calls it.
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    You missed the whole point of the question...
  8. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Thank you, I did not want to repeat myself for the third time.

Notice to everyone reading: I'm very thankful that you guys read the entire OP, (sometimes) but it would be much less of a hassle if you read the entire page.
  9. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Well anyway if you have not noticed we English speakers like to give some countries their official name and others their english name. Its just how we English speakers do things I guess.
  10. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    I saw Ivory Coast's national soccer team in the last world cup, spelt in it's English name, and I asked my friend why it would be English in a tournament, and French on a map.

He said to me "I guess that's just because non-French speakers would understand and identify the country"
    Well I say, no they bloody hell wouldn't, if they couldn't understand it on a map, they would be damned well confused if they tried to find the country on a map after watching their soccer team!
  11. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Really it was spelled in its English name when you were watching the world cup? For us it was spelled in its French Name.
  12. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    I'm pretty sure, that was a couple years ago, but I definately remember the announcer calling it "Ivory Coast" one time, when they were playing against Portugal.

I only watch the world cup until Portugal is out of it, and maybe, I watch Brazil after that.
  13. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Well I remember them saying Ivory Coast but I remember the TV showin cote'd I'vorie.
  14. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Because cote d'ivoire = Ivory Coast. Because it is awesome, also it has a similar flag to ireland.
  15. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Yeah, so does Italy, but does that mean they'll get confused about which country is which?

Since when the hell is French ever awesome?
  16. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    Let them name their country in whatever way you want, it's not like my country is spelled wrong only in english, with a "Z".
    Plus it's no big deal so I don't know why all the fuss about this.
  17. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    I know it's not a big issue, barely an issue at all, but it's really confusing, and I'd like to know why.
    Is it because of French nationalists who want supremacy in all of their former colonies? or is it just lack of care amongst the Africans in that country.
  18. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    No, its because that was the name of the French Colony. Most colonies are named in the language of the owners.
  19. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Did not read.
    If so, did not understand.

Ok, let me tell you, for the fourth time I believe it is, that yes, I know! I know! but why isn't the name of the owners displayed in the language of the readers?
    I mean, come on, the archipelago, Azores, belonging to Portugal isn't named Açores on the map! Russia isn't in it's Cyrillic text, Germany isn't Deutschland, every single asian country in that map is spelt in it's original name, but in the language of English.
  20. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Because we can't read Cryllic text, because Germany was never "latinised" because the name Açores has probably developed in the 500 odd years since it was colonized and I am missing your point about the Asian countires.