Let's Play Hearts of Iron II - The Soviet Union

Discussion in 'Submit Videos' started by Kylarnatia, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count:
    Hello there members of the JosephVStalin forums!

My name is Kylarnatia (but I'm happy for people to know me as Kyle, because I feel my username makes it obvious) and I'm an avid fan of lets players on YouTube, one of them of course being JVS himself! Inspired by all these Lets Players, I've decided that I'm going to try and do my own Lets Plays. So, for my first Lets Play, I've decided to play Hearts of Iron II, and as the Soviet Union!

Now, the first part of this video was ruined, so I had to cut it out. Basically, because I'm new to lets plays and I'm not a complete master of HoI, I decided to play the Soviet Union. Yes, I know they're a bit easy to play but knowing me I'll find it harder then most :p - I'd definitely appreciate any support you guys can give me and I'll try my hardest to upload videos as much as possible! I'm also happy to take criticism, even if it is harsh, because that's the only way I can improve my videos ;)

Uhhh, yeah, I think that's it. Thank you all for having a look at this, and I hope you subscribe and tag along! :D

Cheers,

- Kylarnatia [Kyle]
    OttoVonBismarck likes this.
  2. Chives Newest Member

Message Count:
    Why wouldn't you use Darkest Hour instead?
  3. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count:
    Because I actually have to get it... :/
  4. OttoVonBismarck Member

Message Count:
    For a Brand New LPer, any start is a good one. I myself have launched my third LP on the Forums :)
    Anyway, Protips for the future:
    1. When you start an LP make sure you really Start the LP, as in have the first part recorded correctly and dont settle for a corrupt file, Right now, its okay since its your very first LP, but future LP's should tend to avoid this problem ;)
    2. Audio Balancing, Which actually you did quite well here.
    3. Play games you want to play, rather than what you think you should play, or more importantly, rather than what viewers want you to play. This doesn't mean you cant allow yourself to be open to suggestions, but you certainly cannot let others influence you ;)
    4. A technique i have found useful is endlessly Blabbing at the Screen until the video is over. This keeps the viewer occupied and most of the time, still watching you play :) An LPer on youtube, raocow, is the master of this techinque who is able to talk about "Flying Tomatoes that are ruining the economy". Yep, even the randomest commentary can be very entertaining in the LPer World. In Short, Comedic LPing is basically unscrewing your head so that your mouth does all the work.
    5. Tip 4 also applies to more Professional LPers. Instead of unscrewing your mind to provide random commentary, you bolt it on to the game. Talk about everything that is going on in the game at all times, if nothing interesting is happening...
    6. Make use of the Skip Ahead tactic. JVS and many others use that to provide more entertaining commentary later when something more interesting happens. This is great for slow games such as Paradox Games and Total Wars.
    Of course, when a game is super exicting throughout you dont need to skip :)
    7. If you ever took a Speech and Debate Class or even a Drama class, you know you need to project your voice in order to get your point across to make your point. While some viewers might be able to pay special attention to catch the commentary, others may be turned off by the effort. While its good not to be too loud, being too quiet isnt the best deal :) Though, there are some LPer's who dont follow this rule and still turn out to be great LPers. ex: PlumpHelmetPunk.
    8. When your a new LPer, play games you are more familiar with. this tends to ease people in the art of LPing.
    ⑨. Cirno is a baka
    10. Finally, and most important tip EVER, if you choose to read only one tip this is the tip for you...
    HAVE

FUN

LPING!!!
    This is the main reasong 50% of lpers stop lping.
    Since it wasn't for them, they ended up fading in to the catacombs of dead lpers and move on to other stuff
    If you abosolutely want to LP and enjoy it, then LP and dont let anyone tell you other wise :)
    whew, that was long, my fingers are starting to hate me XD.
    Cant wait to see more from you ;)
  5. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks OttoVonBismark, I'll take those tips to consideration ;)

I'll be recording a lot more videos over the coming week, but I won't be able to upload them till later. Still, I'll have a lot ready and lined up. Thanks again!
  6. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well watched about two minutes of it and my advice would be stop mumbling. We would love to understand whatever the hell you are saying.
  7. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count:
    Noted :p

I've just recorded loads more footage...and the microphone screwed up, but I'm just as much t blame ;_; - I'll be making a small video beforehand explaining what happened and talking through what I basically said throughout the whole of the videos ;)
  8. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count:
    Well, finally got everything uploaded.

Please watch this before continuing. Much Appreciated.

Now, onto the videos where you can actually hear me (to an extent) xD

9. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count:
    And because I couldn't post anymore media links:

10. GeneralofCarthage Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Tip:

You should post videos sparingly so that your subscribers crave your videos.
  11. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count:
    That's a good point - I've also got better things to worry about xD

Thanks.
  12. Kylarnatia New Member

Message Count: