Monogamy

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by The Shaw, Jun 30, 2012.

1. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Why do people restrict, or attempt to restrict, their sexual and romantic relationships to just one other person, and should it be that way? I don't think so, I believe that sex is good, so we should want more sex, and love is good, so we should want more love, we should not try to restrict these things. I'd sure hate to sound like some kind of womanly hippy but I believe monogamy promotes misguided feelings of ownership and is itself a misguided construct of society that should be changed. What are your thoughts on the subject?
  2. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    People do it because they find themselves so inclined. I don't think social pressure is really a factor so much as personal preference is, though in the case of serious relationships it obviously plays a role. Monogamy isn't bad, and it's wrong to expect someone who's in a monogamous relationship to accept polygamous behavior.
    ComradeQueso and Melanthropist like this.
  3. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    How the fuck can anyone bring up children when they are in fifteen different relationships?
    ComradeQueso likes this.
  4. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    And how do you find out who the real father is?

Let's face it, human are a bunch of jealous and suspicious bastards and knowing that your life-companion(I don't even know...) is fucking ten other dudes tend to be a bit too much to handle for the average guy.(and the reverse is also true) People will simply start murdering each other left and right! I'm exaggerating of course, but the point still stands.
  5. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Well obviously it changes when a family comes in, but I see what you're saying. Jealousy is a huge part, but can jealousy be done away with?
  6. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well since I consider jealousy to be part of human nature it begs the question if we can alter human nature, and I'm going to have to say no to that question at least for some time.(genetic engineering, nanotechnology etc. might change that eventually)
  7. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I doubt we'd ever do something like that.
    Jealousy, like almost everything else, must have a reason for its existence. So getting rid of it, even if possible, would be risky, as I'm sure there are things with which jealousy is useful.
  8. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Why? Because we're too good and nice for that and our morals will not allow it? Don't kid yourself, if there is profit, power or another perogative to do it someone somewhere will do it. All you need to do is take a look at history.
    Jealousy certainly have a reason to exist just like love or other feelings, but eliminating human emotion from a portion of a population in order to make those the servants(i.e. slaves) certainly could have it's benefits, no matter how immoral it would be considered in the given situation. And that's just one case I could come up with at the top of my head.
    Skip that, I thought of another. Instead of sending people with families, parents etc. off to war, we could engineer super soldiers without emotion to obey our every command with no hesitation or critical thought! Now wouldn't that be something in the hands of an evil empire?
  9. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well yes, I probably should have said "we shouldn't" rather than "I doubt we will".
    Having said that, I can't really see evil empires with genetically engineered super soldiers happening at any point. Frankly, I think we'd run out of resources far before that could ever happen.
  10. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well that depends if humanity finally manages to get off our asses(sorry arses) and colonize the galaxy like we were meant to. And what do you mean by resources?
  11. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Y'know, coal, oil etc.
    And I'm not convinced much about this galaxy colonising thing, unless we manage to travel faster than the speed of light.
  12. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    We will have enough coal for several centuries(or at least 150 years in the deposits we've found) more at the current rate of consumption... Oil can be replaced as the main source of fuel and we already have several possible and promising alternatives.
    We do of course need to achieve FTL speed to colonize other solar systems(though Mars may be a possibility with extensive terraforming) but I am confident that humanity will overcome this obstacle just like we've overcome seemingly impassable barriers in the past. Looking back at the last 100 years of development I can confidently say that I believe humanity will survive and stand the test of time.(unless of course aliens are on their way to probe us)
    slydessertfox likes this.
  13. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Perhaps, but I just can't seem to get excited about the future of humanity.
    I already feel old-fashioned and I'm only 15.. :p
  14. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Anyway....
  15. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think it would be too difficult to simply go from having multiple relationships to having just one when you want to have children. And how would housing arrangements work?
    To avoid looking like favouring one partner over another, each person would need their own house, so we would need a lot more houses very quickly.
    I'm not convinced society could work without monogamous relationships holding it together, there would be no sense of stability for many people.
  16. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hey that's alright, but saying we will "run out of resources" is pretty far fetched.(much more so than us colonizing outside our own solar system) It's not like the atoms that make up Earth(and thus our resources will suddenly disappear. Okay that not actually entirely true, a small part of them disappear through our atmosphere into space, but this effect is neglible and we should be more concerned about the sun growing.

What the fuck did you expect?
  17. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I thought Danish people were supposed to be environmentally-friendly.
  18. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Fuck that shit, I'm going to space!
    Honestly though, I believe we should use the resources on Earth responsibly and think long-term, but not restrict ourselves because we want to save every baby seal on Greenland. I do of course support renewable energy sources, but we also have to be realists and look at the current situation and how quickly we can transist from fossile fuel without detrimentally damaging and halting technological, industrial and cultural development and improvement. I'm also a big proponent of nuclear power and especially fusion power which many in Denmark seem to harbour an unreasonable and illogical fear of.
    But I digress...
    slydessertfox likes this.
  19. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well it does produce nuclear waste, which of course is difficult to contain, and is unsustainable since we would just start creating a bigger problem for ourselves in the future.
    And of course nuclear fusion would be great, but as far as I know we haven't managed to create temperatures nearly high enough for it.
    It's also a scary thought, since it essentially means we can create elements, which would bring in the possibility of eventually making an element cease to exist on Earth. Not that this is a likely scenario, but an intriguing and concerning thought non the less.

Ooops
  20. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Regarding fusion:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_power#History_of_research
    Regarding radioactive waste:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reprocessing
    Antimatter an another thing entirely and isn't really related to nuclear power per se.
    Edit: Off to bed so don't expect an answer right away.(I can hear the birds singing outside...)