Negative Utilitarian Extreme: Extinction/Blackout Discussion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Kalalification, May 21, 2011.

1. Kalalification Guest

Natural law is an ethical framework I always consider pretty heavily. It doesn't reign supreme, but it makes a lot of sense. Things are the way they are for a reason. And come on, you're pretty much saying the exact same thing he's saying:

[yt:uf9pbtun]nRSLQu-d6ZQ[/yt:uf9pbtun]

So you want to eliminate all life? That is just about the most morally despicable goal imaginable. I've seen the blackout/extinction arguments made before and they're bunk. No humans around means no morality either.

Nature isn't a moral agent. It doesn't 'do' anything. Nazi Germany was.
  2. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Fine whatever, If it happens in Nazi Germany it's an atrocity. If it happens in nature it's just fine... hurpa derp, happy now? Suffering still sucks regardless if there are humans around to acknowledge it.

And yes, I consider the bad things in life to vastly outweigh whatever superficial good you derive from it. No living creatures around means no suffering (and no possibility of sentience to evolve again).
    Nothing of value is lost if life ceases to exist. The non existent don't complain about not existing.
  3. Kalalification Guest

Animals are yummy

Life is lost. That's pretty fucking valuable. Realize that you'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever get your goal seen as a moral good. In fact it's impossible to consider it a moral good because there are no beings left to consider its morality. If it's amoral (I would certainly postulate it's just plain fucking wrong) then it is not worth pursuing because the process of achieving it is certain to produce an insane amount of suffering.
  4. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  5. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

You value life (irrationally imo), I don't see any reason to do so.

We can determine that having no suffering would be a good thing, it makes no difference if we just leave one guy behind to say "Welp, that was good".

We could probably wipe life out pretty quick and painlessly with all the nukes we have (although the genophage would be nicer) and the future suffering avoided would greatly outweigh the suffering of whatever sentient creatures which got blown up had to endure (and not to mention they would've died anyways).

Here's a "red button" question for you. If you had the ability to go back in time and kill the first reproducing cell thus preventing all life on earth from ever existing, would you do it?

Go away
  6. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

No, you go away, your acting crazy. You want to kill everything just to do away with all suffering. That would cause even more suffering.
  7. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

You're either provide something to the discussion and provide some rational counterpoints or stop being a troll and go away.

And no, I don't want to pull a John Rambo and personally go around killing everyone. This kind of thing would only be accomplished by convincing the rest of the world that it's the right course of action, unfortunately you're the rest of the world...

Edit: Seriously, you can't even admit this is wrong
    [yt:3n2tv23m]BlbY5z5FDWg[/yt:3n2tv23m]
  8. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Suffering is part of life. It's one of the many aspects of life. Why try to end all life just to end a small part of it? There's a lot of bad in the world, but there's good as well. I would rather have lived a life of suffering, than to have not lived a life at all. And many other would agree with me. Life is a gift, and you should experience it no matter what. Whether you life is great, or it's shitty, you should live.

And I don't think the lions eating the Elephant is wrong. They don't know any better, they do what they do to survive.
  9. Dudstraction! New Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Why yes I am
  10. CorB New Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

A life of complete suffering? Hell no. I would much rather just not live at all. I don't see how any sane person could say otherwise...
  11. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Let's say there's a planet with lions eating elephants alive and a planet with nothing on it, which one is better?

And life can be a huge imposition. I doubt you would rather scream in pain every day of your life rather than your comfy couch in Nonexistia (it's a metaphor, don't take it literally)

I'm sure his parents aren't too proud of what they imposed on him:
    [spoiler:2vydljwj][yt:2vydljwj]pwfdTndbNfA[/yt:2vydljwj][/spoiler:2vydljwj]
    She had children, she knew her condition was genetic and she took the risk, her children were born with clawhands. She's a shitty human beign
  12. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Well, that is what you believe. But I'm glad to be alive. Is my life perfect? No. But I like living. Living feels, right, ya know?
  13. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

I like, feel ya man. Living makes me feel alive.
  14. CorB New Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Well, that is what you believe. But I'm glad to be alive. Is my life perfect? No. But I like living. Living feels, right, ya know?[/quote:1fgaimh0]
    If your life was a living hell, I assure you, you’d want to die and you'd probably regret ever coming into existence.
  15. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

I can see that somehow. But nobody on earths life is a complete hell
  16. Kalalification Guest

Animals are yummy

You say that there's not as much good as there is suffering in the world and this merits extinction to remove the suffering. 99.999% of everyone else disagrees with you. Suicide is always an option, if you don't take it then you believe on a deeper level that life is worth living. This should be evidence enough for yourself that extinction is NOT a moral good.

I mean I could sit here and shoot down your ridiculous idea all day, but I'm inclined to believe that you're going to Che it out on this issue.
  17. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Che it out?
  18. Dudstraction! New Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Who loves life here?
  19. 123Blazer New Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

Why isnt Lenin Cat in on this conversation! All he wants is a Cheezebugerz! Now you want to eat him! He will bring his Cat Red army and Massacre all of you!
  20. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

I do!