Negative Utilitarian Extreme: Extinction/Blackout Discussion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Kalalification, May 21, 2011.

1. CorB New Member

Message Count:
    Negative Utilitarian Extreme: Extinction/Blackout Discus

No one's saying you shouldn't enjoy your life...
  2. Lennins Beard Well-Known Member

Message Count:

Yeah, but the family part though. "Oh, you shouldn't have a child, it's selfish!"

What about adoption Ronald, okay by you or no?

And, I counter you Monty Python with REM
  3. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:

herp derp

And DUH! Of course I'm all for adoption, it's what I plan on doing if I ever think I'm up for the job.

There's no shortage of orphans in this world, which is more of a reason to call breeders selfish pricks. They would go through the trouble of having a kid rather than adopt simply because they're on an ego trip.

Edit: I'm being a little over spiteful right now, I reckon it's time to go to sleep. Later...
  4. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:

Hey, ronnieboo. Check this kid out. http://www.youtube.com/user/ventilator98
    He has microopthalmia, glaucoma, cannot smell or taste, almost no vision and what he has is being lost due to a cataract, frontal nasal dysplasia, he lacks cilia in his nasal passages, has a weak immune system, cleft lip and cleft pallate, tourettes, Accute/Chronic sinusitis, and autism, as well as a lot of deformities. His last words on his yt channel description- "Because LIFE IS GOOD. It could always be worse." Imagine that. This kid is only alive due to being constantly hooked up to a shitload of machines, and dozens of surgeries. Truly, he has known suffering, and yet his will to live is as strong as can be.
    In things unrelated to pwning ronnie, he wants to make yt partner. I imagine the money could really help, so I subbed. I hope you'll do the same.
  5. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:

And that proves what exactly? Suffering ain't that bad? Just buckle up and pull up your bootstraps and you'll be just fine? Considering you have no problem with suffering as long as it results in cheaper hamburgers I doubt your credibility on this topic.

Either way, it's the kid's choice if he thinks it's worth it. I didn't say at any point that we should kill anyone or anyone has a moral obligation to kill themselves, just don't reproduce.
    Other people don't have a choice and it's because of people like you. It's your mentality that makes people travel to Switzerland to get a half-decent exit, it's your mentality that put Dr. Kevorkian in jail for ten years and so on and so forth.

There's nothing wrong with someone's psychology if "shit happens, it could be worse" is not an acceptable standard for them.

Edit: I'm retiring myself from this discussion, it's getting too circular, tiresome and personal for which I'll admit, I am partly at fault for.
    http://josefvstalin.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2146
  6. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:

I think assisted suicide should always be a legal option. Wouldn't be much of a libertarian if I didn't even give people the right to do what they will with their own lives.
  7. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:

I am staying out of this arguement because I am a 'good' catholic so I'm just going to say battlfield sucks. :)

Realease the trolls...
  8. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:

Holy shit! How far back did you have to go to did this one up? (Chelsea is gonna be pissed btw.)
  9. SPQR Well-Known Member

Message Count:

I'm glad this got dug up, this is without a doubt one of the greatest threads on the forums.
    Also, he cant get a warning unless the last post is more then 6 months old.
  10. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:

Oh I am sorry I didnt know :(

Trust me, last thing i want to do is go against the rules of the forumn
  11. Saito Well-Known Member

Message Count:

When I read this thread I can't help but think of all the people who live in retirement and funeral homes (the lucky ones) instead of having some sort of assisted suicide available. I'm probably going to have to go to another country before I get too old to kill myself I suppose. (USA citizen currently)
  12. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Animals are yummy

It is absolutley 100% warrented.

He claims there's no value in life or happiness but there IS value in suffering, since that makes sense. Happiness and suffering are counter balances, essential ingredients for either to exist. In order for either to exist one must know something other then it.

I do agree that life has no value though, how that justifies it's annihilation is a mystery to me. I can indeed watch that clip with the elephant and laugh.

His entire argument seems to be based on his belief that the only valuable thing in the universe is suffering, which is non sensical. The mere fact that opposite polarities of feeling exist would suggest that they have equal value to me. Why does everything in life need to be accounted for? Why does ronaldraygun feel that if you can't justify suffering with happiness that somehow justifies mass extinction.

Eh whats the problem with retirement homes? If your too old to get around and look after yourself I would prefer a place I where people look after me, just saaaayin.
  13. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:

14. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:

First of all double post, second of all nice hatchet job and you're just being an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

As for last go visit a nursing home and see how nice you think it is.
  15. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:

Did all the time till my great grandmother died at the age of 102. Sure it's no adventure it's not luxury but don't bitch about it if you can't even bathe yourself. I would turn it it into an edit but it won't let me delete it for some reason :S

I present an argument and I am an asshole for it. You are epically redundant for the 8 pages I got up to, and I cannot argue against that.
  16. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:

And I'm saying your argument is poor and you're being dishonest at best (at worst you're being an asshole). Who in their right mind would laugh at the sight of an elephant being slowly torn apart and eaten alive?

Maybe your grandma got one of the possibly nonexistent good nursing homes without all the drooling senile people who spend their last days babbling to themselves wrapped in special adult sized diapers as their life slowly drains away from them.

Edit: Yes I've been redundant and not very cohesive but keep in mind that I was alone trying to explain and defend myself to/from an onslaught of people with accusations ranging from "Well that doesn't sound right to me" to "OMG U WANT 2 KILL US ALL U R HITLUR".
  17. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:

Yes, some people have problems. My grandma up untill the very end though knew how and where to take a shit however, she ate a banana on her cereal every single morning like she did all the time before going in, and all her needs were ment. We always brought her books and whatever else she needed to keep entertained. The people wearing diapers and babbling incoherantly likely can't even remember they are suffering(thus not suffering) with that 7 second attention span. As for the paralyzed and the vegtables I thinkthey should be put down.

Your saying my argument is poor without actually visiting the argument at all.

Yeah I understand your bitter, mostly because the majority of those stupid comments came from actual 12-15 year olds that make us reasonable people look bad. I don't hold anything against you I want you to understand,I am simply expressing my beliefs vs yours in a concept I call an argument.