Nobunaga Oda, If he united Japan

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Aloysius, Apr 28, 2012.

?

Would Nobunaga Oda be able to conquer Korea and parts of Eastern China?

Yes 9 vote(s) 69.2%
No 4 vote(s) 30.8%
  1. Aloysius Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ok im brining this up due to some hard thinking i've been doing on the subject. Though I had a similar thread as my first ever post. If the Honganji inccident never occured and Nobunaga wasn't killed by Mitsuhide Akechi witch was one of the most gifted generals in Nobunagas army. He probably would have united Japan. But then what. He would surly continue to invade other countries. But if so witch ones and how would it affect the future? Would his succesors be able to keep the empire togather?
  2. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    If you played Kessen 3 thy explain his plans well, he was very pro western, he probably wouldn't have focused on conquest, he wanted to open trade, and he favoured colonization of ezochi island, he wanted to uplift Japan meiji style, Korea was a Toyatomi thing.
  3. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Wow, I can only think what would happen if Japan was kept open and not secluded for hundreds of years. They would have been unstoppable by the time world war 2 rolled around.
  4. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Nobunaga meant progress, which is why he is one of my favorite historical figures. Had Nobunaga united all of Japan then Japan would have westernized which would have made them a force to be reckoned with much earlier. If he was going to invade another country it would surely be Korea, it's the most logical place for Japan to invade.
    Anwrise888 and slydessertfox like this.
  5. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Adding onto that he was also pro western, he would have opened trade with the western powers when they didn't have the means to exploit the Japanese like later on, also i think nobunaga wouldn't have attacked Korea, the only time the Japanese had interest in Korea was during the toyotomi era, but that's only because thy thought they could only expand militarily, i think nobunaga would have favoured colonialism, with ezochi to the north and okinawa, that would be the most logical thing to do.
  6. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Yeah he was indeed pro-western, he was the first Daimyo to ever wear western clothes. Also I said if he was going to invade it would probably be Korea. Colonization would have been better than invasion for Japan by a lot though, another reason Nobunaga would have been great for Japan.
  7. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I think the furthest he would go would be Taiwan, Korea would be a disaster, there is no way the Japanese navy could supply his endeavour, that's why securing the islands around Japan and a long naval program would lead to exploration and maybe a colonial empire Japan wouldn't have the means to get in a land war, which is why toyotomi failed.
  8. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Like fuck the Western powers were going to let the Japanese take up their precious colonial interest zones. The only reason they could later was because they were a major power at the time and the Europeans were busy in Africa/fighting amongst themselves.

Anyway, the Westernization wouldn't be very major. Likely they'd end up dependent on British/American trade and end up as a quazi-client state. It wouldn't be anything like Westernization is today because the labor costs would be about the same in Japan as anywhere else in the world + the shipping costs would be massive. They'd only be able to expand to meet the needs of Japan itself which is fairly minimal in comparison and they'd have the industrial might of Belgium, probably less.
  9. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Were talking about the 16th century here.
    Anwrise888 and slydessertfox like this.
  10. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    What the hell are you taling about?
  11. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    Kara is clearly an expert on Japanese history and for that matter the history of most non-western countries. I'm sure he's bound to become a professor in the field.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  12. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Yeah, he is obviously talking in some medieval japanese code that is only understood by medieval japanese historians. I just did a google search on it, and it translates out to: tuoba gniklat m'I tahw wonk t'nod I

I'm still working on trying to decode that.
  13. Onyxja Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    He would be the first samurai-pirate and he would conquer the seven seas ARRR.
  14. Aloysius Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ok lets say he did want to invade other parts of the world. do you think he could hold Korea or even conquer parts of eastern China. (If you say yes and more go into detail........you know what go into detail reguardless)
  15. Anwrise888 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I dont think so he would be to busy holding japan while together while it modernized. But I believed that if he united Japan that early his successors would have gotten Hawaii and the Philippines before the US maybe Australia would have had a different name.