Non-Violence

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by BleedingHeartCaptain, Mar 20, 2012.

1. BleedingHeartCaptain Member

Message Count:
    I'm confused by how people say that they detest violence yet they are so quick to use it. If people don't like others getting harmed or being killed why would they use violence for personal use?

I guess my main question is why are people so violent even though they know the destructive capabilities? Is it that they just don't care unless they or someone they care is hurt? My other question is why if one openly admits they detest violence and are non violent or a pacifist they are either mocked or disdained by others? (At least I've notice that in the United States) Maybe I'm naive, but I don't see any reason to take a life, beyond the necessity to sustain life force such as eating a plant or animal. I think my hands are neccessary to create things not destroy them. Also before anyone says anything such as "You don't know what it's like in this situation" I've had 5 guns and 20 knives pulled on me so I do know what it's like to be in danger.

To recap I want to know why people are so quick to use violence to solve their problems? Why people who are in favor of peaceful solutions are openly mocked or hated? Also if this is a common thing in other countries to mock non violence or just it seems that way in America?
  2. CrazyManiac Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  3. Toast Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    lol
  4. BleedingHeartCaptain Member

Message Count:
    Yeah it is funny that i seem to run into danger but I was just trying to avoid anyone using the you haven't been in that situation so you cant talk about it arguement
  5. BleedingHeartCaptain Member

Message Count:
    Just cause it's easy doesn't mean people should do it
  6. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    So we should just let those people in Asaad get their towns pounded into oblivion. So we should just try to engage in diplomatic talks with Al Quaeda, a terrorist organization? So we should have just let the Nazis take over Europe and try to talk them out of it? So we should have just let Japan bomb Pearl Harbour and take over China, hoping they will eventually stop? So the Libyan rebels should have just continued to use non-violent protests while they are being bombed by their own government? So we should have just let the South secede from the Union and hope they decide to come crawling back to us? So the Americans should have just continued to use extremely ineffective non-violent protests to be represented more fairly?

The point being, there are many situations, where violence is the only method that works. Violence is not always good, but sometimes, it is the best option.
    CrazyManiac and Sparticus 1244 like this.
  7. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Because it gets shit done, with the exception of every notable civil rights movement.
  8. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:

Pretty much sums up the concept of using force on others.
  9. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Just to start off: I have never deluded myself with the idea that violence is never the answer.

That being said, I would point out that violence will only ever not be the answer in certain cases when all people agree to non-violence. If everyone agrees not to bring guns to the party and one guy brings a gun, all the non-violence rhetoric was useless and now everyone who is 'non-violent' is at risk.

Violence tends to be the quickest and simplist solution to any conflict.
    Look at Israel-Palestine. Decades of talk over an inch of soil, but who got it? The one with the bigger guns.
    The fact of the matter is that in some cases, comprimize is just not possible.

Violence is just the label put on what humans learned to do to protect and claim what they wanted centuries ago, when we first began as a species.

Is it the right way? The preferable way?
    No.
    It is generally for the impatient, the desperate, the unenlightened.

But that does not take away that it usually is the quickest and the surest.

When we cure impatience, solve desperateness, and open the eyes of every human, there will be peace.

Then the Xenos will come.
  10. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    @Demondaze
    I didn't know you were an objectivist!
  11. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    In a cruel twist of irony, I'm actually vary fond of the objectivist concept of morality.
    The Shaw likes this.
  12. BleedingHeartCaptain Member

Message Count:
    I've basically noticed that everyone agrees that violence isn't a good thing. I don't know if I gave off the impression that I thought "violence is never the answer" if I did I apologize that was my fault. I do think in certain situations violence is permitted. Some people can't be reasoned with, some people as Alfred in The Dark Knight (I know not the best thing to take wisdom from) put it "Some men just want to watch the world burn." I don't disagree with violence has it's necessity at times. I should've worded my question differently to avoid confusion.

I want to know why people are so QUICK to use violence. It seems a general philosophy of agree with me or I'll hurt you. It seems as if human beings are hardened towards others as if human life means nothing as long as it's not lives that belong to the group. Is it just human nature or some psychological conditioning that humans have developed?

Also I think we should avoid the topic of war. Yes it is the biggest source of violence humans experience, but throughout history every war has been justified by someone one way or another i.e. Better than a country, oppressed, resources, enemies, under attack, etc
  13. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    We are so quick to use war because it is arguably the quickest, easiest and most efficient way to solve quarrels sometimes.