Obama signs execute order placing all communications under his control

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by ComradeLer, Jul 10, 2012.

1. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    It amazes me that this hasn't got any media attention. Basically, Obama signed an executive order, which places all communications, both public and private, under the control of the US government, and the president. While private media, and communication services are still technically being allowed to function right now, the US government can, at any time, legally bring down/censor/control any form of communication inside US territory.

This also means that the internet is now under the legal control of the US government.

http://rt.com/usa/news/obama-president-order-communications-770/
    (random google search article .-->)http://www.activistpost.com/2012/07/obama-seizes-control-of-all.html

MRN video -

Thoughts?
  2. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    LET'S DDOS THE SITE OF THE US! THAT'LL SHOW THEM!
    jona_v likes this.
  3. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    I used to have a lot of faith in anonymous. While I think their hearts are in the right place, they are definitely far, far too confident in their abilities. At the end of the day, a DDOS attack is just a minor inconvenience.

Edit: I think the main mistake the occupy movement, and anonymous made, was massively over-analyzing the radicalization of the American people.
    Cover likes this.
  4. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Anonymous is a disgusting rag-tag of morons thinking they can make a difference. They're nothing more than a bunch of arrogant wannabe criminals that deal with governmental "injustice" through hypocritical actions. Restricting privacy, are we? Let's show how much we love privacy by releasing all your personal information to a bunch of internet hipsters. I wouldn't be surprised they'll react to this by one of their cowardly and meaningless actions.
    General Mosh and Spartacus like this.
  5. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    I won't go into my thoughts regarding class warfare, but they were definitely more than wrong to release personal details of ordinary people. Some of the things they have done (IE - PS3/Nintedo/Steam hackings) have definitely been detrimental to the left-cause.
  6. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Anything they've done has been especially detrimental to their own side. While their motives may not be wrong, they've taken the absolute worst approach to the problem. Hiding behind the anonymity of the internet makes them about as cool and badass as 12 year old kids playing CoD past their bedtime.
    No one in their right mind would support them, whether or not they can sympathise with the motives.
  7. Onyxja Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Another reason to be happy that you don't live in the U.S.A.
    Damn, the list is becoming long.
    UtterlyImpeccable likes this.
  8. SPQR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think you guys are misunderstanding the entire point of this act.

Quoting the article
    "Obama has enabled the executive branch to control communications under all “possible under all circumstances to ensure national security, effectively manage emergencies, and improve national resilience." So he hasn't really done anything as of yet.

Cellular phone corporations like Sprint-ownedBoost Mobile have released messages to their customers concerning the US government’s allocation of their phone communications at the whim of the President. In a text message to customers, Boost Mobile said that: “. . . you can receive national and local emergency alerts directly on your phone.
  9. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    I don't think many people can say they think the US government will take advantage of all of these dystopian bills any time soon. But I think you have to accept that they are passing them for a reason. The very fact that all of this exists, and that the US government technically has the power to take advantage of them is scary enough - I mean, just imagine what a republican president could do with all this.

@SPQR Your post came up after I posted this. Yeah, he isn't using the order.This thread is basically to discuss the fact that such a thing technically exists.
  10. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    In my defence, I wasn't really commenting on the whole article or whatever, I've just raged on Anonymous for a bit because they're cunts.
  11. SPQR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    They could already do this to some degree
    http://www.it.ojp.gov/default.aspx?area=privacy&page=1288

I haven't read the article fully, because I am in a skype chat, a game, and in this discussion at the same time.
  12. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    That's the excuse they are using. But from the looks of it, the bill was worded vaguely for reason. So the government can technically reserve that power. I honestly don't know if they will ever use such a thing, But given the large amount of highly suspicious, and dystopian sounding acts/bills passed lately, I don't think we should just brush this aside.
  13. SPQR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Quoting the act:
    Communications Act, as amended, is an expansive statue regulating U.S. telephone, telegraph, television, and radio communications. Its seven subchapters regulate virtually all aspects of the communications and broadcasting industry, including assignment of frequencies, rates and fees, standards, competition, terms of subscriber access, commercials, broadcasting in the public interest, government use of communications systems. The Act also provides for more detailed regulation and oversight via the establishment of the FCC.

There is an exception for disclosing the location of a mobile services user to medical, public safety, or law enforcement services where the user has called for emergency services.
  14. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Question... Can any of you find anywhere in the executive order that they cited where it says Obama placed all communications under his control? They don't cite anything in the article, and having skimmed over the actual executive order, it only calls for the creation of a few different departments that would be responsible for coordinating communications strategies to prepare for a national emergency...

Ps... the actual executive order (signed 4 days ago) http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/07/06/executive-order-assignment-national-security-and-emergency-preparedness-

edit: It's not a bill, it's an executive order...
  15. theteremaster Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    the deepest depths of the Australian netherworld
    The US government wouldn't be stupid enough to apply this to the internet. so therefore, this site is safe.
  16. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    At best this sounds like the government prepping for the possibly of a cyber-attack and any corresponding communications blackout.
  17. crocve Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The road to fascism continues.
    ComradeLer likes this.
  18. jona_v Member

Message Count:
    I started reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation series yesterday and i found "psychohistory" to be pretty cool concept. I wonder if it's possible to calculate the chances of U.S. Collapse. I know that Obama is a crappy president and he will no doubt contribute to the collapse. So... How soon?
  19. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    30 years until is my bet. Admittedly, I may be a bit optimistic here.
  20. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well I have seen no change in the past 4 days. Looks like due to this he has really gotten a C.I.A file.

William Spencer Downing.
    Sex: Male
    Height: 50"6

Goes by names, @JosefVStalin, Stalin!, Stalin Shepard, Spencer,

Owns a website based in Canada where he spreads communist propoganda insulting US politics and has praised European and Cuban communism. He has gone rogue against youtube and enourgages Revolution and hops the border into America and Canada frequently and has visited many countries in the world. He knows several launguages, all of which are used for communist gain and hopes to visit Georgia some day. He is the #45 on Obama's Kill list and is a dangerous motherfucker. He has asked his fans for human skulls for a throne which by now has 475,000 skulls and encourages genocide for his blood gods, it is rather confusing since he is an athiest. He has large armies and is belived to be 50 foot tall in this picture.

[IMG]