Shogun 2: Hill camping?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Leetgamer, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leetgamer New Member

Message Count:
    I've met quite a few hill campers in shogun 2 and it's pretty damn annoying, most of the time I lose because their archers pepper my troops and they route before reaching them.

I'm considering doing this myself though I think it's a rather noobish tactic. Plus I think offense is the best defense

Thoughts?
  2. L337Sarge New Member

Message Count:
    I haven't encountered many hill campers, yet, however I have a feeling I will rage when i do. My primary army, for small funds, is pretty much a "rush" army.

2 units of bow ashigaru, 4-6 Loan-Sword Ashigaru, and a Yari cavalry unit.

If there's anything I've noticed in this game, it's that cavalry is massively underused and surprisingly effective.
  3. Leetgamer New Member

Message Count:
    I ran into a player that used only Yari cavalry. I asked him nicely to set the game from medium funds to low funds.

I hastily recruited some more units seeing that I had 60 secs till the battle began.

I was quite surprised when I saw what his army was made of, and for a moment, I thought that he actually might win since I had few spear units.

I managed to beat him decisively since he went all-in with his cavalry and attacked my center, so I moved in with my spear units from both flanks then took the 3 yari cavalry and my general that i had and moved in from behind. Sort of like cannae the only difference being was that my center was almost decimated had i not mass-routed his army first :p.

Anyway I also ran into an army with a similar build to yours though I managed to beat him with my 3(?) katana samurai 1 no-dachi and 2 bow samurai :p. Quality over quantity methinks.

Another thing that I am debating is whether to drop the bow samurai and simply go for yari bows so that I may invest the money elsewhere :-?.
  4. L337Sarge New Member

Message Count:
    Quality vs. Quantity seems to be the question of the day.

I'm not sure. I use quantity because I don't have many Samurai units unlocked. :p
  5. marleyflynn New Member

Message Count:
    One opption is just to have a stand off untill they either quit or come to you, or the one I favour is just to make sure you have a light cav unit, and manouver them at the back of the map directly behind the archers which usally draws there yari & katarna to defend the archers then rush your main army to there hill and send in the cav to. Its quite complex but it tends to work pretty well. Hope it helps.
  6. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    You mean ashigaru bows. Yari is the name of the spear the spear troops use. Ashigaru just means the non samurai troops.
  7. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Haven't met that many hill campers and my army for small funds is some vet Yari Ashigaru and some Bow samurai
  8. Kalalification Guest

Hill camping isn't that effective unless it's one of those hills that has a rock face and only one entrance. The archer's range isn't amplified that much by height advantages, and unlike castle walls, hills provide essentially no protection from enemy archers. One thing I've noticed is that people tend to think that more bow ashigaru will beat out a bow samurai. Fact is that bow samurai are more accurate, do more damage, have more ammo, and can hold their own in melee (against ashigaru).

One of the biggest problems I've faced is going up against matchlock ashigaru on a siege. Holy hell they are powerful. And there's no real way to attack them since archers can't attack walls very well, and they can utterly decimate katana or no-dachi samurai within seconds. Even when my general was giving rally and inspiration to my vet unit of no-dachi, a matchlock ashigaru routed it before it could even scale the wall.

I haven't actually run into anyone who uses siege equipment yet, but I imagine that it's massively effective if done properly.
  9. Tacotruck1166 New Member

Message Count:
    Oakdale, California Cowboy Capital of the World!
    You are probably playing rank 1-3 generals. Trust me once it gets to rank 7-10 Cav is essential. No real point in using Katana cav. Yari almost always get the charge and decimate.
  10. Tacotruck1166 New Member

Message Count:
    Oakdale, California Cowboy Capital of the World!
    Once you get to high rank players. They tend to use gunpowder or ashigaru. Because with the generals inspire ability. The ashigaru become very accurate and just as fast if not faster at shooting the enemy. That and the fact they will mass volley bow samurai. I am rank 7 and never buy anything more than ashigaru ranged units. I am not so sure if bow samurai do more damage with their arrows (maybe if upgraded).
  11. Leetgamer New Member

Message Count:
    I never play siege battles online, I hate sieges in this game.

The only siege battles I liked were in rome and medieval 2.

What would you guys consider to be the ideal army for a small-fund rank 3 (almost 4) general?
  12. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    What vets do you have?
  13. Leetgamer New Member

Message Count:
    3 katana samurai, 2 yari ashigaru and 1 loan sword ashigaru.
  14. Leetgamer New Member

Message Count:
    I am so frustrated with this game its multiplayer is bugged to hell everything seems hastily stitched together at the last moment, almost nothing works the way it should.

I am constantly running in to sooo many laggers they literally make the game unplayable on top of all the bugs and glitches the game is plagued with. What annoys the fuck out of me even more is that they suddenly disconnect just before I win a battle and I get NOTHING, no experience, no province, NADA. Fucking waste of time.
  15. KILLER SCORPIAN New Member

Message Count:
    i love the sieges in shogun 2 very challenging to take a big castle but fun
  16. Leetgamer New Member

Message Count:
    Jesus fucking Christ I've encountered sooo many assholes that bug abuse. I mean what the fuck. Whenever I'm about to win they alt+f4 therefore, they get to drop out of the battle without them losing anything, and without me winning anything as well! It's like the battles never happened.

Fucking hell I'm considering dropping mutliplayer on this game for good. No wonder people pirate so fucking much, look at the shit these companies streamline to feed the corporate whores behind them.

Oh and lets not forget the hill campers.

/endrant
  17. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah people that leave like that are really annoying, at least say gg or just stay until the end.
  18. Dudstraction! New Member

Message Count:
    Im a hill camper
  19. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I hope your not in the clan.
  20. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Too afraid to fight on flat ground?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.