The irrational disdain of the wealthy

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by The Shaw, Jun 26, 2012.

1. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Communist pieces of shit constantly talk about being rich as if it is not only a bad thing, but also that being rich makes one a bad person, even going as far as to glorify the state of not being wealthy. Which leads me to ask, why? Why would you not want to be rich? Should we not all strive to be successful?

In other words, what is your opinion on wealth?
  2. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I'm jealous of the rich I do not hate them personally, I'm not sure if this question is only for communists but ill answer personally aswell. I plan to be a succesful business man and I don't quite understand it either.
  3. DomoSunz Member

Message Count:
    I am sad the I am not rich. I would buy the most useless shit, and be the biggest egotistical douche bag on the planet.

Also, I'll answer the Question. I would probably just take over my fathers shop and be a middle class citizen, though I would probably do a lot of hobbies to see if I could find a job more fun. I would basically want to find the funnest job, because fun=happy and happy is good.
    ComradeQueso and The Shaw like this.
  4. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    I have nothing personally against the rich (or those in control of the means of production) but I do sometimes wonder if those who earn more should contribute to society, although they have no obligation to. But it seems to me communist always want to bring the upper class down instead of building the lower class up. I know communist follow a line of a classless society but this seems to be the norm I am observing with tight net communist circles.

Though for a site called Josefvstalin it has alot of anti-communist who are active posters.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  5. TheRedHeadGamer He number 666

Message Count:
    Personally, alot of people I talk to who hate the wealthy. Hate them because of the power they have, alot of the rich are into politics. So for obvious reason's the lower classes usually feel like the fact their rich. Influences their position on certain matter's and it does effect their view's on politics.
    SPQR and Anwrise888 like this.
  6. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Well of course it does, rich people have different views than poor people, and that's no secret. But shouldn't you want to have power and influence, and be the guy on top?
  7. TheRedHeadGamer He number 666

Message Count:
    Everyone want's to be rich, but let's face the fact's most of us will never be Bill gates, Donald Trump, Steve Jobs, Rockafeller and so on. Most of us, are going to have a average job making enough to get by and maybe a occasional video game/family trip/ whatever. Then some of us are going to be bum's who get some pretty crappy jobs. I mean a few of us might make it big one day, someone invent's something that takes off, Or maybe they just get lucky. But the chances of that happening are pretty slim. And once people realize that they start hating on the rich, Oh those asshole's make so much money while I make a average living, they can pay some extra taxes !

And the rich make the policy's which can make it harder for people to become rich.

For example College is going to cost me a bit of money. And next year it's going to go up by a couple thousand. Now someone like me who come's from a pretty average family, is going to have to take out a loan probably, and work a few extra shift's to pay it off. After I'm done with college hopefully I'll get the job I want and I'll make a decent amount of money to pay off my loan and become upper middle class.

So this effect's me a bit, now if I came from the family of a really rich politician, chances are the college cost wouldn't even effect me. My family would write a check and I'm good to go, Get as much college as I want where I want, and the degree I want then. And because my dad has some contact's inside the company Or political party, I can probably get a position too. Making me rich and repeating the cycle over again.
  8. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think it would be good to be fairly successful and fairly rich. However, I wouldn't want to be extrememly rich as a businessman, mostly because that level of wealth usually requires some unscrupulous behaviour, which would make me uncomfortable. I'm not jelous of rich people exactly, in some ways it would be good to be rich, but then I don't believe a rich person would have a better life than I do (only in terms of material).
    And of course there would be things a rich person wouldn't have to worry about, but there will be other things they will have to worry about (company losing money etc.), so I think on balance I'm not desperate enough to be rich to really care about it.
    I want to have enough money so I never have to worry about money, but not to be filthy rich.
  9. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, in today's culture being a total idiot is also being glorified, so is this really a surprise?
    Cover and LampRevolt like this.
  10. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Wealth is a necessity under the current system.
    I don't necessarily hate the current system, but I disapprove of one (if not more) of the effects.
    When there are rich people, there are usually poor people. When there is poverty, there are a slew of problems that can usually be summed up into the word 'suffering', which I disapprove of.
    Some people can afford a fountain in their house mansion that dispences punch; others can hardly afford to eat on a daily basis.
    In a world where (and I don't give a **** what the scientists say) there is probably enough for everyone to enjoy a comfortable life I see no reasonable reason why a better-than-present standard of living should not be made.

I don't recall ever stating that I hate rich people. For the most part, I don't.
    I try not to begrudge others' success, but I have no problem disapproving of their refusal to help fix a problem.

The question can, in some respects, really be boiled down to whether they value their property 'rights' more or the lives of their fellow human beings.

Being rich is not bad.
    UtterlyImpeccable likes this.
  11. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Most rich people rip society to fuck, then do nothing to repair the damage.
    Cover likes this.
  12. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    slydessertfox and Spartacus like this.
  13. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    [IMG]
  14. DomoSunz Member

Message Count:
    Hey, don't forget about Mitt Romney. He's trying to repair this country from Obama's Tyrannical rule! That's why I'm voting for him. I don't want Atheist Secret Muslims as the President.
  15. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Throwing money about doesn't amount to the reparation of society in the slightest. Not to mention the recipients on that list don't strike me as the type to especially need it, though I can't say I have heard of a considerabl amount of the places. And when I speak about society I infer the global society, the capalistic economy that bleeds (literally) dry third world countries. Putting money back into your own country is more selfish than anything, there are countries that have a poorer economy than the highest donation on that list . Why does Paul Allen not choose to invest money into the DRC? Could it be due to the fact the mineral exploitation in that country benefits microsoft? Me thinks so...
  16. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    The reason people hate the rich is because they are not rich.
    Disgusting.
    slydessertfox and The Shaw like this.
  17. UtterlyImpeccable Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't think wealth is all we should aspire to in life, frankly there are many things which are more important.

And I partly agree with @C_G, because although I don't hate the rich, I don't particularly like the idea of anyone being extremely rich, at the expense of others. And of course some of these people are philanthropists and do good things, but there are also many who are not. I do not see how this can be anything if not bad.

By the way, I'm not a communist, I would never forcibly take money off the rich, I simply am uncomfortable with the idea of extreme wealth.
  18. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Oh look, out of the trillions of dollars the rich have they decided to spare a couple billion for us little folk. They sure are great, aren't they? I'm glad they're always watching our backs.

The Class Struggle is a Political Struggle.
  19. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    The only word that should be capitalized in that sentence is "the". Also, that's retarded. "Class struggle" doesn't exist, and it certainly doesn't exist as a political movement. Socioeconomic status does not now, and has not ever, bound people into an ideology.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  20. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    They are both events (or something of the like, I'm blanking on the correct word) and thus should both be capitalized.

Yes it does. It's a pretty inherent factor to modern society.

It's not an economic or military struggle, it's a struggle for political power.

Of course not. No one believes that because that's a ridiculous thing to believe.

Libertarian pig.

A state of wealth is not bad in and of itself.

Not necessarily. For the most part Leftists tend to hate corporations rather than individuals.

Not so much glorify as empathize with.

Because it's just.

Personally, because obtaining wealth requires the subjugation of others in some form or another. For instance, Apple has become large because it uses Chinese wage-slaves to make its products. They could never manage if they actually treated them as human-beings. Again, it's just.

Wealth is merely a byproduct of success. Not permitting someone to become excessively rich is not the same as preventing them from being successful. They are two different entities, please don't use them as interchangeable. That is a Capitalist fallacy.

It is immoral and a hindrance to humanity.