Thomas Hobbes.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Viking Socrates, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    so we are currently learning about Thomas Hobbes right now, and I scribbled down some notes on the man, as well as some of my own thoughts and who would relate with him (like Freud) and I was wondering to what is your thoughts on him?so I apologize for these being so random (Next will be Locke)

Philosophy of Thomas Hobbs: Along with Francis bacon was the founder of modern sciences, and rejected Aristotelian philosophies. Had great influence on William Cavendish, and worked mathematics under Galileo and desecrates, and learned what Galileo called the resolutive-composite theory which meant you start with deduction and hypothesis first. Hobbs rejected desecrates philosophy of dualism that the body and soul were separate from one another, Hobbs advocated it must be able to be optical to exist.

Hobbs was skeptical of democracy, especially Athenian democracy and looked upon Thucydides for guidance of this idea. Advocated need for a strong central authority, Hobbs as such supported the royalist in the English civil war. Exiled to France and completes his greatest work the leviathan.

People are by nature evil, and we need a powerful govern to go against a state of war. (50-50 myself) what is human nature and what is free will? We are driven by appetites and desire (much like Sigmund Freud and his view on drives) but we also have aversions, as such what comes out is voluntary action, we have a choice but we measure it up before going on with it

the fear of being rejected is such, the fear overrules the appetite. Hobbs advocates we need an all-powerful head of state. Fear controls us. Humans generally try to seek power and power controls us. Advocates all people are born equal, and that since the weak can kill the strong that makes him strong (David can kill goliath) equality is the reason for social conflict, not the solution. Civilization comes from suffering. You become great scientist to suppress your sexual desires that you could not achieve, Sigmund Freud backs up this statement that suffering good for civilization.

give up rights for safety, the king must give safety to his people and if he cannot he must be overthrown.

He focuses on peace and order, but does not consider the king to abuse his powers. Gives not theory of checks and balances.
  2. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    psh Locke was better.
  3. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    I actually like Hobbes idea of human nature and that we are stop by fear.
  4. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Locke was still better imo. Hobbes did have some good ideas though.
  5. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Although Hobbes biggest contribution was observation being brought into the scientific method.
  6. stupified619 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Too negative for my tastes.
  7. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  8. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Where we bang heads is that he says that people are by nature evil and governed by appetite , and I just believe that people by nature are always afraid. Afraid of what? Afraid of your finances. Afraid of a lack of acceptance. Afraid of the consequences. Afraid of your future. I think that fear is the only real motivator of human activity at all and in this we are not so different the animals.

So really we're only different in a few, nit picky area's XD

Societies do exist in order to keep people in a sort of organized fearful state. Everyone has responsibilities of some kind at least that if they can't keep up to they will be punished. This way of control has clearly made itself dominant as all other kinds are easily eliminated by this one. I think you can't really think of it as "power" so much as organization. Ever since agriculture we have seized the chance at having more consuming power then absolutely necessary and by the nature of our collective fear we grew for more protection and struck out at anything different as a threat. We turn on each other when new idea's are introduced and through conflict only the most effective ways of life survive. It's just evolution.
    Viking Socrates likes this.