Tipping in the US

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Unillogical, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Kalalification Guest

My argument has always been that majority preference overrules any other points because this isn't an issue of human rights. If more people prefer this system then it's justified; we're well within our rights as a nation to make this so.

Your response to that was that majority preference (or popular consent, or whatever moniker we slapped on it) doesn't justify it because it's creating inequity.

My response was that because it's such a trivial and inconsequential societal issue that majority preference is the only thing that should have any bearing over it.

Thus bringing us to my summation of the basis of your argument, and mine being at the exact opposite of that basis.
  2. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    My argument is that it is unjust. But if you want to keep rationalizing injustice that is truly shameful.
  3. Kalalification Guest

I suppose I'll just have to take this one for the team then, forever branded as the man who wouldn't stand up to the oppressive and unjust regime of tipping.
  4. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    According to whom?
  5. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    It is rather sickening.
  6. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Injust?

I'm sure we'd all like people to be paid more, so why not let someone have a little extra for their below (average) minimum wage job if they've done good at it? Especially if you have money to spare.
  7. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    He's saying we should tip everyone or tip noone.
  8. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    I understand his arguement, but not tipping does absolutely nothing. Until the system is changed (which I don't think it should be) all you are doing is hurting the individual waiter.
  9. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Actually, if tipping everyone wasn't so impractical and or forgetable than I think it would work a lot better. For instance, tipping bartenders, customer service, etc.

Pretty much all service jobs.

In fact the only things I wouldn't have tips for would be things like factory workers and beurocrats and such. Otherwise they would never get paid.
  10. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    I can't tell if Stalin's trolling or being serious. Ive seen tipping compared to slavery before that seems a bit extreme., I mean that Is like the holocaust of analogies right their.
  11. D3VIL Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It was compared to slavery to show that societal norms are not OK just because they have the support of the majority.
  12. Achtung Kommunisten! Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, European Union
    Yep, the majority needs to shut up and accept what's good for it sometimes. Put it this way, here in the UK, the majority of people would vote to bring back the death penalty. But they can't because Parliament, and the European Convention of Human Rights won't let us. (A convention pretty much dictated by the US, lol)
    Some of the analogies may sound extreme, but surely there's something wrong when convention dictates that paid workers have to depend (presumably to varying degrees) on the kindness of others
  13. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Good God there are a lot of people who don't understand how tipping works. Let me break it down, tipping pretty much only exists in the service industry(jobs that require personal dealings with the customer). Tipping is viewed as a little thank you for exceptional service(maybe the cab driver was really fun to talk to during the ride, maybe the person who cut your hair cut your hair faster and better than you expected and was nice to converse with). The reason waitresses get special treatment is because they're the only ones in the service industry that RELY on tips, tips make up most of their salary and are working for your tip, not for their wage.

Stalin's argument that EVERYONE should be tipped is dumb. Why the fuck would I tip, let's say, Spencer while he worked at the gluelam plant? What he does doesn't involve/affect me in any way. Same with the video game developers. They don't provide a service, they provide a product and they make their money WHEN I BUY THEIR FUCKING PRODUCT. Tipping is a PERSONAL, VOLUNTARY act of gratitude to someone PERSONALLY providing service to you. If the you feel that the waitress, cab driver, hair stylist, etc. didn't do anything tip-worthy, then don't fucking tip.

Also, how has this not been posted?
    [yt:89zy4gsu]Z-qV9wVGb38[/yt:89zy4gsu]
  14. Kalalification Guest

Mr. Pink has been brought up a few times. Fucking Steve Buscemi, the rayt beestud.
  15. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Man, nobody here is capable of going back a few pages and reading the logic instilled there. There is absolutely 100% NO reason for waiters to be paid less then normal people and EXPECT tips regardless of service. The End.

P.S. No, its unjust.
  16. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    They only EXPECT tips for good service. They're not going to try to be assholes and expect you to tip. Again, they work for tips, not for their wage. I don't see how it's an unjust system since waiting is a fairly lucrative job if your good at it. I don't see how a job where how much you make is DIRECTLY tied to your skill at the job is a bad thing. The system works because it keeps the prices of the food down and makes the waiters/waitresses provide good servicing to you.
  17. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Unless you consider waiters annd other servers have lowered their societal status to wait on us. Then they might deserve it. And more then just waiters get tips.
  18. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Waiting isn't the only profession that gets tipped, but it's the only profession that RELYS on tips.
  19. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:

No, incompetent waiters bitch all the time.

Now lets see how well your memory works, (we'll let you look at you notes if you need too!) what is the reason they rely on tips?
  20. Big J Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Then they suck at their job and probably aren't getting tipped because of that.

I must restate that if your good at waiting the fact that you make below minimum wage shouldn't effect you. Again, I don't see how a job where the money you make is directly tied to your skill at the job is bad.