Tipping in the US

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Unillogical, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    I'm pretty sure it has happened lots of times.

1/5 of the total cost of the meal is a little excessive.
  2. Comrade Temuzu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    15-20%? Hah, not gonna happen :lol:

I usually couldnt care less about the customs, I just leave all the small coins to the table. I wont be back anyway, they can think what they want about me. But, if I visit the place regularily, its to ones advantage not to make the staff your enemy, mysterious moist things might randomly appear to your meals.
  3. D3VIL Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I have no intention of ever tipping as it places the burden on the customer rather than the employer.
  4. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    We are a very stingy group at the forums
  5. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, a tip is just seen as courtious. Not paying the tip is generally viewed as cheap, and leaving a low tip is supposed to reflect poor service. By leaving a low tip, by custom, you're insulting the wait staff without provacation. I know in some countries, I think it was Denmark, maybe Germany, you have to pay a tip.
  6. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Wow you brits are just rude. :lol:
  7. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    They should cum in your food or something.
  8. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    This :lol:
  9. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    I used to work in a gluelam plant (which are large wooden beams made from small long boards glued together), where for 8 hours a day I would pull glue covered boards off a conveyer belt, and put them together. Once that was done I would take a 75 pound weight and go up and down along the massive beam and slam it flat. Once that was done I had to bolt the entire thing together. The entire job was incredibly dangerous; working with massive machines that and could crush a man in a second. Everyday I would come home nauseous from all the glue fumes, and my clothing covered in this thick and powerful glue. It was awful and exhausting work 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I would like to see any waiter to that job for 4 months and then come back and complain that waiting tables is more difficult. Give me a fucking break.

But that wasn’t the worst job I ever did. The worst job I ever did was work in a dollar store as a cashier, in which this store just raised its prices from $1 to a $1.25. I had to do all the same shit a waiter does. Bring people shit, make small talk, be polite, remember orders etc. etc. But because the only person they could complain to was me I received more verbal abuse in that job than I had ever received in my life. Everyone was angry about the price raise and all the anger was directed at me, as if I had a direct line to the CEO of the company and it was my choice to raise prices. Both jobs were for minimum wage

And what do you mean? I handed in a fucking resume and followed up. You don’t just hand in a resume like a jackass and hope you get hired. You follow up and hound the employer for the job and make sure you are foremost in their mind. I also like how you infer that our higher minimum wage hurts Canadian employment when we created 28,000 jobs in June and America, a country 10 times the size, only created 18,000 in June, and Canada has a lower unemployment rate compared to America at 7.4% compared to America’s 9.1%.

Also I would never eat at a restaurant that pays its employees less than minimum wage. In BC it’s illegal to pay anyone less than minimum wage (except for telemarketers for some reason) It’s such a cheap practice. It’s like saying “I don’t have to pay my employee’s, guess what, you do” It clearly shows they don’t give a shit about their customers and its not good business practice or customer appreciation. Anyone who pays a tip is a sucker.
  10. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Most waiters I know have small salaries and make most of their money off tips so tip your waiters people.
  11. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    does it make me a sucker if i would of given you a tip if i lived in canada and didn't know you ?
  12. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Just because there are shittier jobs out there doesn't mean they shouldn't get tips.
  13. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    Then justify it. It is a fundamental inequality. If certain people get tips, why not everyone? What makes them so special?
  14. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Ideally, we wouldn't have tips, but it's not really here because the restaurants don't want to pay their employees. It's just something that's been around for a long time, and not paying tips only hurts your waiter or waitress. It does nothing to change the institution of tipping. A lot of waiters or waitresses are dependent on income from tips.
  15. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    So you are going to let yourself be robbed because the employer is too cheap to pay their employees? Pathetic.

Like I said I would never eat at a restaurant were the employees are not paid minimum wage. It is an illegal and immoral practice.
  16. Kalalification Guest

It's not about being robbed or some such nonsense. Tipping is an entirely voluntary act. The only reason to tip is because you want to, and no one will force you to. The employers are complying with the national labor laws and quite frankly waiting is one of the most lucrative wage jobs out there.

The definition of the tipped minimum wage is different than the regular one. It's not illegal. The purpose of this alternate definition is due to how widespread tipping has been as an American practice, much longer than minimum wage laws. We do things differently here, but it's not a bad thing.
  17. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Why does there have to be a reason to tip Someone? I tip even if they did a bad job I even tip Store clerks. I don't have alot of money to spend but I still do it because I like doing it Why is there a Debate over this Anyhow you Don't have to tip anyone honestly i feel like this is a more Moral Debate.
  18. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    It's illegal here to be paid less than minimum wage. So I see what your businesses are doing as both illegal and immoral.

If you tipped when it was voluntary you are even more of a sucker. Also no one answered my question as to why we put up with this fundamental inequality. Such a joke.
  19. Inquisitor burner of heretics

Message Count:
    well i'm sorry stalin but if you have ever had a meal at a restaurant in the US they most likely did not pay minimum wage to the waiters.
  20. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Theres no more compassion in this world :(