What makes a good politican

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Lighthouse, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I honestly think he should be trained in politics and/or the military, honest, a man or the people, and have atleast a college education. This is your opinion and all opinions are open.
  2. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    Hmm, a good politician. There are two types of good politicians. A good politician can be someone who is just electable. Someone who wears a mask and makes his false promises so convincing he could win any election. Then there is the other type, the ethical politician. This guy will always do the right thing and speak from the heart. He is the politician everyone dreams of, but he is often left to compete against fake/"good" politicians who are masters at making themselves look like angles. Real quick I'll list some traits for both of these guys that make them good and "good".

Good Ethical Politician/"Good" "Power hungry" Politician
    -Likes to play on personal experiences: This helps politicians to really connect with the public. This is a key component in retail politics. Usually people enjoy a handshake and a old family story. The Good Politician usually would bring up a lighthearted moment from long ago up just because its relevant. The "Good" Politician would probably blow up or completely fabricate the experience just to get votes.

Examples
    -George W. Bush: president Bush always used his Texas nature to get votes.
    -Rick Perry: Gov. Perry always liked to point out his humble upbringings and his military service.
    -Jon Huntsman: Gov. Huntsman liked to mention that he dealt with China's leaders a lot as the US Ambassador to China. He thought his experience with one of America's biggest competitors would give him an edge in the 2012 election.

-Speaking: A politician always has to have some speaking skills if they hope to obtain office. There are a few circumstances that are different thought(Thomas Jefferson, etc). Many of histories leaders were able to get elected just for there great speaking ability. Sometimes it didn't even matter what they were saying. People like Hitler spoke so well that they could have convinced a shark to swim backwards. It is a good skill to have. The Good Politician will use it for the good of his country, but the "Good " Politician will use it for personal ambition. However they will disguise it as them wanting to help there nation.

Examples
    -Adolf Hitler: He is an example of a politician who had terrific speaking abilities, yet he wanted the country to conform to his ideas regardless if they were for the best.
    -Mitt Romney: Okay this is about to get really opinionated, but hang in there! I believe Romney is using his better than average speaking ability and fan base to really attract people. However, if you look at his record and just the way he acts sooo smarmy during the debates, he really seems like that "Good'
    Politician. He also carries a trait of a "Good" Politician, flip-flopping. He once bragged about being liberal than Ted Kennedy. He changes his position on the issues for voter appeal.
    "Takes deep breath" Okay that is all about Romney for one post.
    -Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.: Finally a truly good person to use as an example for speaking. Now Dr. King isn't a politician, but any politician would be lucky to have half the speaking ability Dr. King had.
    King got his abilities through his passion for equal rights.

-Debating: Surprisingly debating is much different than speaking. As much as I hate to admit it the Perry Campaign is a prime example of that. The Good Politician will be brief and stay on the issue. The "Good" Politician will try to attack other candidates over issues or if an issue is brought up they don't want to talk about they will squirm and wiggle there way of the topic.

Examples
    -Stephen Colbert: Okay this example is tricky, because A. Colbert isn't a politician(sort of) and B. We haven't seen him debate. But because he makes a living studying politicians and poking holes in what
    say, he has some of the "Good" Politicians skills. Unlike most "Good" Politicians Colbert isn't like mean or evil its his job to do so, for entertainment.
    -Newt Gingrich: This election is full of "Good" Politicians. It has been full of negativity. Gingrich is one of the best debaters. However he and Romney have used there money and speaking/debating skills to try and bury one another.
    -Ronald Reagan: I'll use Reagan as a filler here. Look at not only his speaking ability but his debates against Carter and Mondale. He had to debate great in order to uproot an incumbent president and win reelection as America's oldest serving president.

That is all for now. I put so many 2012 presidential candidates as examples because I wanted modern examples in there. Also remember it is a little biased, I'll admit that up front. I might do more later.
  3. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Text block hurts mah eyes. Napoleon wins by default.
  4. D3VIL Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I personally feel the question is superfluous when the system produces more crap ones than good ones. I think the reason for this is corporate influence, a lack of a functioning democracy due to disastrously bad electoral systems and minimal participation in the process by the public (more elements of direct democracy should be added to the system).

So in short I think in order to get good politicians you need to reduce corruption by corporations and make the system more democratic (elements of direct democracy, an electoral system worth a shit, non-corporate media).
  5. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    A Good Politician is a man with character. Perhaps a wife beater, or maybe even a few homicides.
    A Good Politician should have experience with government institutions. The Justice system, for example, is one of the many I would prefer my politician to have experience in.
    A Good Politician should be willing to elimate undesirable elements from society, if he feels so inclined. For example, brutally murdering white kids who talk and act like they're black would be an extremely positive addition to our government.
    A Good Politician should be physically fit. Robbing old ladies is an excelent way to prove one's physically adeptness.
  6. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    The best type of politician is not a politician but a philosopher king.
    Imperial1917 likes this.
  7. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You stole my quote... we must now battle to the death in the arena of blood and gore. WITH CANDY CANES
  8. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    You fool. I have a candy cane launcher already stored from my 6th grade trip to the poconos in a story i made.
  9. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Little do you know that I have a tactical nuclear weapon made out of Candy canes. Say goobsh mudafucka!
  10. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Romney is not a good speaker at all imo.
  11. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    He isn't the best in the bunch, but he is a good example of a "Good" Politician. I know that is opinionated, but that is how I see it.
  12. D3VIL Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Even though he changes his position more than a weather vane? How he's a member of the rich, financial business class and that he's in politics to enrich himself and his friends?
  13. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Did you read his big text block? When he puts "Good" in quotation marks, he's referring to the politicians who pretend they can relate to the people.
  14. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    God I have to learn to break up my text blocks.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  15. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Break em up into a bunch of spoilers. This way they feel like they are reading less =P.
  16. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    Haha, thanks. I'll do that next time.
  17. D3VIL Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I admit that I didn't, but I have now! (Partially.)

Surely he's too transparent to be a "good" politician?
  18. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    They care nought about their ideology and all about their people.
  19. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    So the best politicians are populists who have no actual opinions of their own and try to pander to everyones contradictory desires. Yeah, that should build a good system.

Speaking as someone who has a strong desire to become a "politician" I would give the reasons I want to becasue I think having these reasons is what makes a good politician:

1) A strong desire to better your fellow man.

2) A plan; some comprehansive ideology that you genuinely believe will achieve a better humanity.

3) The ability to adapt smartly. You should always be open to hearing new ideas and different opinions and not afraid to incorporating those you think are good into your plan. Conversely you should not be afraid to discount bad ideas simply because they are popular.

I think if you have these things you are the right sort of person to be a politician.

Obviously useful attributes like education, the ability to speak and debate well publicly and things like that are helpful but I think thats the tools of a political career, not what makes a politician.
  20. ddbb089 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think a politican's actions represent his/her personality.Like the careerists will push on the front of economy and the good of the government(Himself) but not so on the people.The ones with empathy to the people will push on the front of helping the social part of the nation but they tend to have a weaker plan in economy.

That's what I think roughly sepererates the politicans into two routes,but there are some godsent people in the parliaments of the world who have plans to bring good from both sides but those are so few and far between.