What was the greatest moment in human history?

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Thefatkid, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Thefatkid Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I ask myself this often, and I am wondering what the forum thinks. Do you think the greatest moment when the communist manifesto was written? Is it when we got of this rock and landed on another in 1969? Perhaps when we stopped our hunting and gathering was replaced with agriculture? Perhaps when currency was invented? There are so much history when was the human race's greatest?

I believe this was.
    mdhookey likes this.
  2. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Symbolically speaking I would have to agree, pratically I do not know. I put out currency for the time being.
  3. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    When that creature in ocean was like "fuck this shit" and went onto land.
    Thefatkid and UnitRico like this.
  4. StarsOverStalingrad Member

Message Count:
    The flag over the reichstag original photo undedited with the exception of the censorship Stalin requested after originally seeing the photo. (Maybe I know a unhealthy amount about this photo) I agree this is the greatest moment in Human History
  5. darthdj31 City States Map Director

Message Count:
    I would think the surrender ceremonies would be greater...

I think we'll have to wait for the greatest moment, maybe when we're all finally at peace, but utopia isn't really possible.
  6. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Yeah. Utopia would be a real utopia.
  7. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    I like dystopia way more then utopia.
  8. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Ah, man. I'd hate that. A dystopia would be a real dystopia for me.
  9. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
  10. Thefatkid Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I actually couldn't decide between the two...
  11. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    How about a first space walk?
  12. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Personally, its a pretty obvious choice for me.
    Reaching space > landing on the moon.
    The US was just scrambling for something after the Russians beat them to space.
    Sputnik's launch may not be the most important event in human history, but it certainly is more important than the moon landing.

Well, you have to get to space first so... no.
  13. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    I kind of also find the begging of agriculture to be important part of human history.
  14. Thefatkid Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Not important greatest.

What is a better feat? Reaching another object or reaching space? I like to think that space wasn't part of the cold war it was something the human race wanted to do, but it wasn't. Does that make reaching the moon a bad event being it wasn't for a bigger picture, but over a stupid battle of ideologies...

I agree somewhat. No agriculture no large populations. No cities, no technological advancements. On the other side no wars, plagues, desiese, destruction of the environment for resources, etc.
  15. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Ideologies are the driving force behind much of humankind's actions.
    The ideology of fealty to blood, of fealty to religion, of fealty to nation states, of fealty to ideologies themselves.
    They are important.

People have long sought to reach space, but reaching the moon only came up after the Russians beat the Americans to it. Is it important that we reached the moon? Is it great? Yes, but it was a short-term goal after someone beat them to the greater goal that came before it. That would always come before it.

There will always be a great feat for an age or for ages. So long as humankind continues to exist, people will likely pursue and accomplish greater goals. And as long as people exist, there will be differing views on what is the greatest event of our collective history. Remember always that between the existence of the universe and now, there are nearly an infinite number of things that have happened that could be considered the greatest thing in human history.

You say that the moon landing was the greatest. Personnally, I find that to be the result of the skewed educational system. I also find it greater that humanity reached the stars in the first place. There will likley be other, greater things to come. What is the greatest? I don't know.
  16. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    The greatest moment in human history was when this forums was found, because then we could never discuss the greatest moment in history.
    Shisno likes this.
  17. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    I still don't get why people are fealty to nation states, anyway. If big, unified organizations or federations can offer us more than one single tiny little nation, why would we want to have our tiny little nation? I guess it's a psychological thing, which people try to justify by making up stuff in their head. But if you really openly think about it, you will realize it isn't based on anything rational at all, and the feeling will go away. At least, that's in my experience.
  18. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Well there are alot of reasons:
    1) The bigger an organization is, the more unweildy it becomes. Large countries have trouble helping everyone who needs help.
    2) Smaller countries ensure that more personal and necessary needs are met. Nations are divided into states or provinces for this reason (though there are historical and ideological reasons as well).
    3) There are also the matters of culture, religion, and ideologies. Local governing powers might not punish you for exercising a cultural ritual, but larger organizations lacking an understanding might.
  19. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    I disagree, as it really depends on how you set it up. There are very big countries that are very efficient, and small countries that are a shithole as far as efficiency is concerned. This rule hardly works in practise.
    It may sound weird, but my ideological European state would be one big country, in which all the countries are faded away. There are organisations to administrate the official spelling and grammar of languages, but the countries are all gone, and provinces would be set up. These would be regions of about 50 million people each, geography, culture and economy taken into account. These would be divided in sub-provinces of about 10 million people each, and these would be divided in municipalities, just the ones we have right now. I think that would be the ideal situation.
    I don't understand what you mean? Why would an organization punish you for exercising a cultural ritual?

And I don't think organisations should be founded on culture or religion. Maybe ideologies, but that really depends on the situation.
    Viking Socrates likes this.
  20. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    My bad, I was too absolutist in the statement.
    So you are talking about a central authority for the countries that already exist? Like a UN that actually works?
    And the population thing wouldn't work. Try spreading out the massive Chinese population like that.
    Certain cultures have practices that are unacceptable to the overal population, but still a part of the group's cultural heritage. Take foot binding for example.