Which is the more important? Freedom? or Security?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by OttoVonBadass, Mar 20, 2011.

1. OttoVonBadass New Member

Message Count:
    At first, you need to think. You want your freedoms that you enjoy and hold dear, but you also want to be safe and know that you will be protected from any harm. Then there is the freedom to provide a common defense. where you and the people can stand up against tyrrany and fight. and where you can sit back and let the little guys go and fight for you and not know if victory is possible. I mean They may be providing security but how strong is it though? how do you KNOW that you are safe? the truth is, you will never know. I mean at any time a guy could show up at your door with a bomb or gun or a nuclear warhead could be fired and starting a third world war costing billions of lives. on the other hand with freedom you can help in providing the defense and security to be provided. but again you can never know how well secure you are or how safe you are. It's your choice.
  2. LibertyShoe New Member

Message Count:
    Almost always freedom. If there are to be violations of my freedom, it damn well be codified.
  3. CheFlegel New Member

Message Count:
    Order over Chaos should always be the right option.
  4. donjo007 Member

Message Count:
    Freedom.
    It is better to be free and insecure than to be secure. It’s like you already have lost if your freedom is taken away for your security.
  5. Maddog95 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Are we talking in absolutes? Like ea: either complete freedom or completely safe (both without the other, off course)?

I would honestly choose security.
    I'd rather spend my life rather 'strict' then going 5 steps and wondering: "is someone going to take the freedom of dropping a bomb right around the corner over there...?"
  6. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    I don't really think there is a right answer to the question. There has to be a balance, and that balance is something that societies have struggled to define since the dawn of time. Even in pretty well defined state's with robust legal structures there isn't really a consensus. Just look at the PATRIOT act, voted in near unanimously. Upheld by a supermarjority, now lauded as one of the biggest debacles in American history.
  7. OttoVonBadass New Member

Message Count:
    you know what i very much agree with pedro. I dont believe there is no right or wrong answer to this question. I mean you want freedom AND security. and the thing is you dont know how much freedom or security you are being supplied with
  8. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Actually my brother's high-school Anthropology class had a debate over this. The argument for absolute freedom was pretty good but someone for security brought up prison. The punishment of prison is to take away freedom. Under absolute freedom a person could do basically anything until another thought to stop them.
  9. OttoVonBadass New Member

Message Count:
    true. like I said, it depends on the freedoms and security you ARE given to make the choice between the two.