All day, everyday military pictures

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by thelistener, May 3, 2012.

1. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    well i g
    ok, i thouight it might have changed since ive been away from the forums for a while, guess not, thanks
  2. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    "Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war. "
    Ernest Miller Hemmingway
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

afgan soldiers guarding a road
    [IMG]
  3. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    This video is relevent

4. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    hehe, why my father discourages my wchildish wish to be an officer in the paratroopers
    francuski padobranci.JPG
  5. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
  6. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Is it not better to win than to loose?
  7. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Not in may cases and if you make me explain myself I will skin you alive, make boots out of your skin and sell your testicles to a krogan. These things should be self explanatory and I'm not here to give you a lesson.
  8. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I my mind peace bought with chains of slavery is worse than fighting, no matter what the cost is. Or would you say it was a bad call for USSR to keep fighting in ww2 when they could just have thrown down their guns and have peace (when peace would have been worse)
    lukakiwi likes this.
  9. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    well someone is in a bad mood (i like the krogan reference, haha)

this, just like isnt it better to go out figting (in fire) if you know youre loosing than "go quietly into the night.

heres some military paintings so i dont get scolded at by the mods for going off topic
    800px-Arkadi1866.jpg light-companies.jpg battle_arcole.jpg

10. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Imagine a scenario, when defeat is more beneficial than continuing fighting. Oh I don't know, maybe Nazi invasion of Denmark, War in Afghanistan, WW1 for Russians, Winter War you name it.
  11. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    All those countries had demands forced on them, not an ideal peace.
  12. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    first of all, stop getting angry at people for not viewing things the same wya you do (you used to bu a much more relaxed guy), second of all, it all depends how you look at it. ww1 for Russians is a bad example, no offence.
    Nazi invasion of Denmark: i dont understand, are you saying that defeat was goo for the Danes? yes they did have a relatively easy defeat and occupation when compared to others, but what if they had won and succeded in holding back the Nazis (immpossible i know), would that not be better (if you were a Dane and werent a Nazi sympathiser)?
    War in Afghanistan: way too complicated, especialy considering it came a while after Hemmingway.

Are you saying that it was beter for (to use as an example) the Danes to loose and be occupied so quickly and without much destruction then to suffer war like say Eastern Europe, or Germany at the end of it, or peraps even france when it was overrun? But others would say, as i said before, that its better to go in fire than to go quietly. All depends how you look at it and on your own view on life, morals, philosophy, whather youre an absolutist or a relativist...

All im saying is that you cant say something is stupid (unless it absolutly is, like really really stupid, as in self contradictory) just because you dont agree with it.
  13. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    1. Nazi invasion Denmark wasn't the end of Danish fight against the Nazis, they never really quit. Also you are over simplifying things. Denmark was part of the allies when the war broke out. So Danish peace with the Germans was only a set back for the allies, thank god allies kept fighting.

2. War in Afghanistan. I think what you saying is that USAF retreating now is for the best? Well no, it might be good for us, but not for afghan people it sure wont in long term.

3.ww1 for Russia, again Russia was part of a coalition, and the coalition never gave in. You're over simplifying things again

4. In winter war we fought for the peace settlement in other words we won our self's the peace settlement (the quote says:"Once we have a war"), if we just decided to quit fighting when the war broke out, well lets just say Stalin's regime wouldn't been a paradise for us Finns.

Edit. Hemingway was American thus he thought that any war US would ever wage was justified and morally good and if they lost that war, it would spell disaster. That's why he said "when WE"
  14. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Nazi invasion of Denmark: Danes put up a show fight for allies to assure them that Danes are on their side but otherwise they gave in, because they cannot fight off Germany and would they fight all they would achieve is people dying & cities burning. Surrender is preferable to fighting for the lost cause.

War in Afghanistan: Are you saying that it is perferable for coalition to continue to wage war in Afghanistan, than to go home?

WW1 for Russians: Lenin introduced us Revolutionary defeateism. When you take down all commie nonsense, this doctrine believes that it is better for the people to loose the war, than to win it due to cost of lives and what not.

Winter War: After Finnish lines were broken in spring, we had no organized defense and Allied help was no where in sight so we (Finns) accepted defeat (rent military bases, give some land..) then and would we continue fighting USSR could have had demanded much more or even annex entire country.

These are some types of scenarios, where defeat is preferable to victory backed by real life examples.

PS. I'm tired of brain dead idiots, who cannot think for them selves. Difference is that it is ok to disagree with people in subjective matters, but I get angry when people are not capable to objectively realize anything.
  15. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    1. Danish pilots kept fighting until end of the war. Also in my mind sometimes fighting for a lost cause is preferable than live under slavery. Fortunately Danes were treated better than most occupied nations. Also (this the part I almost cried, because you of all people should realize this) ww2 isn't multiple wars, its one war. The quote says :"Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won." and allies won it. Your example is good if it was only a single war for Denmark.

2. Never said that, you said:"Afghanistan is a example were defeat is the better option." because only way afghan war is a defeat is if isaf pull out now. isaf will pull out steadily.. If they bull out immediately, even more blood shed will ensue. Also isaf generals believe that end of isaf combat operations in 2014 is too soon.

3. Splendid, so the union did a mistake when they won against confederacy, you know that war. If the union had lost, slavery most likely would have staid a lot longer. But hey at least life's would have been spared.

4. USSR was too fatigued and the war wasn't really popular among the soviet people, that's why they didn't ask more.
    Stalin's original plan was to annex all of Finland, that comes out from their own records.
  16. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
  17. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That your arguments are wrong, and i take this as your way of saying: i am out of good arguments :rolleyes:
  18. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Back on topic now, friends?
    I'll start...

[IMG]
    thelistener likes this.
  19. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I have had only one case for this entire time -.-'
  20. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    FUUKOOOOOVV!

More pics, or I'll start using Google translate to swear at you in Finnish! You know how that'll turn out...

[IMG]