Atomic bombings of Japan Necessary?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Viking Socrates, Nov 10, 2011.

1. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Taking into account the culture of Japan at the time, let the propaganda not come from Americans, but the Allies. And if this is not at all possible, the Soviets would eventually be done with Manchuria and the rest of the Japanese empire would fall, they eventually will be starved if they continue their war machine, or be forced to scrap their armies and build necessities for their people. Either option would leave the Allies available to give food and other supplies to Japanese civilians, if they will take them of course, only if the people will take them and keep them for their families. This discussion is now at a point where I can come to no other conclusion than the best idea for stopping war is stopping the Allies from invasion, and create a wall between Japan and the rest of civilization, until the moment comes where they cannot live anymore, and then, air drop supplies or land on their beaches and handout supplies. There may be difficulties with this, but I argue that this could have been done, and could well possibly be the best way to solve this problem without putting hundreds of thousands to their deaths, irradiating millions and turning their environment into a horrid pile of crap.
  2. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    So starve to them to death, though the question is not how long the Japanese would have lasted, but how long the united states Population would have lasted until the populous at home got sick of the war and wanted it over (near the end they where getting that way) It would appear your suguistion the same thing america did with the East Germans when the Berlin wall went up.
  3. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Lets not go into the hypothetical realm of "If the Allies decided to starve them out." There were two options and only two options that the allies even considered or would consider. And those two options were a massive invasion of Japan or the dropping of the atomic bombs, or both. That is all the options they considered. Lets focus on which one was the better option out of those two.

The logical answer to this would be: which one of the two options saved the most lives and ended the war in the quickest way possible. Obviously the dropping of the atomic bombs saved more lives in the end, and ultimately ended the war 2 years earlier than an invasion was planned to end the war.

I think it is pretty clear that out of the options that were considered, the dropping of the atomic bomb was the best option.
  4. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    So your arguing more on the lines the ends justify the means, however i would like to point out that had the emperor said "Fight" a trillion atomic bombs would not have done the trick.
  5. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I understand that. But the atomic bomb in the end, saved the most lives and ended the war in the quickest way possible.
  6. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Erm, you want to replace the dropping of two bombs with the starvation of one of the worlds most densely populated countries. Some humanitarian you are.

And the Soviets would have invaded, inevitably. That may have even lead to a potential World War 3 scenario, what with the spread of communism and what not.
  7. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    No, he's deciding that my statements are completely invalid and they are all hypothetical.

They'd have to go through the Allies, if my idea were to be implemented.
  8. Kalalification Guest

Battalion, you are being utterly ridiculous here. Solution to WWII: drop leaflets and food ad infinitum until Japan surrenders. That's foolproof alright.
  9. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    If it would never happen why even use it in an argument? What we are arguing is, that of the options that were actually considered, which one would be the better of the two. I just showed you why the dropping of the a-bomb was clearly the better of the options THAT THE ALLIES WOULD HAVE CONSIDERED.
  10. BattalionOfRed Mr. Fred Battaliono

Message Count:
    Thanks for reading.

What I am arguing is a possibility to end the war.
    Also, QUIT USING FUCKING CAPS LOCK YOU OVERLY STRESSED LITTLE CHILD.
  11. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    If it had no chance of happening then why even bring it up? What I am trying to tell you is that of the options that were considered, the dropping of the atomic bomb was the better of the two.
  12. pokemon12 Member

Message Count:
    yes it was beacouse if it wasen, the we would most likley not have known the true power of the atomic bomb.
  13. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    This as well. The atomic bomb was bound to be dropped by somebody on somebody eventually. At least it was dropped to end a world war then say starting a war with the USSR.