Breivik

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by Kali, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    I'm quite surprised that no one has created a thread for this yet. For those of you who don't already know, Anders Behring Breivik is a Norwegian ultranationalist, and responsible for the 2011 terrorist attacks in and near Oslo that killed 77. Most of those killed were teenagers, who were attending a summer camp. The first part of his trial has already begun, and he has claimed self-defense.

Norway has no death penalty (and apparently no right to a trial by jury), so the worst he can get is life imprisonment. In actuality, the only way for that to occur is if he's deemed insane, in which case he'll spend his life in a mental institution (he's been declared insane and then sane again once already), or the Norwegian government deems him an active threat to peace at the end of his sentence. The sentence for terrorism and murder is 21 years, and it's apparently quite likely that Breivik will get out of prison either then or five years after that.

Personally I find this outrageous. I do not support the death penalty, but I think that it's absolutely ridiculous that the worst he can get is 21 years. Of course the prisons in Norway aren't exactly the worst punishment either:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Also worth interest is his motivation for the attacks, which was political, and the general debate surrounding multiculturalism. Now while I obviously don't agree one bit with his decision to go around murdering innocent kids, I think that there's definitely merit to what he's said about the failures of multiculturalism. Granting special rights or privileges to minorities is just as unfair and destructive a policy as negatively discriminating against them, especially when that means recognizing the validity of religious law.

Furthermore, there is no reason for a secular society to respect or accommodate the religious values or beliefs of a minority. Freedom of religion is one thing, but "tolerance of religion" is an entirely different story. European multiculturalism has amounted to little more than ignoring obvious wrongs because of historical anxiety about 'cultural imperialism', even though secular Western values are plainly and objectively superior. Breivik is clearly a terrible human being, but he's not insane, and there is a reason that he did what he did. I won't defend his actions, and I find it disturbing that he's going to be getting out of prison in a mere 21-30 years, but it's important to recognize that things like this simply don't happen without a major underlying cause.
    The Shaw likes this.
  2. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    I also find it ridiculous that his max sentence is so little he should get life. One thing this event did accomplish is start people looking into the far right and what threat they pose to the world and in their countries.
  3. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The trial is a joke too, The defence is making it into a media shitstorm over here. Basicaly what has happen is that they have invited a known Islamic terrorist that has no connection with the case what so ever to the trial as a proof to show that breivik isn't the only terrorist in Norway.

Also breivik is making ridiculous claims. He has said he shouldn't be given rhe full sentence because he could have done much worse. In on Interbeiw he claimed he could have gotten supplies from the russian mafia to build s home made nuke. Even worse is that the media is eating it up.

1There is no way he could have bought supplies to make a nuke from the Russian Mafia
    2. and even if he did how would he assembel it? It's allot more complex than the home made fertilizer bomb he used. One of those types of bombs 9 year old afgans know how to make.
  4. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    What Breivik did is an atrocious act carried by a man intent on gaining the platform he requires to publicise his ideas to the extent that he has already done so. A humane society should not allow such a person to have the ability to express his opinion to millions across the world.
  5. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    The media makes a shitstorm out of everything.
  6. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Not going to happen unless we change the law.
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    So their defense is he is not the only terrorist and he could have done worse things?!?! Da fuck?!
    StephenColbert27 likes this.
  8. Soviet Streltsy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    The man is not insane, he's just really, really... really stupid.
  9. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Actually, he probably is insane, but...
    StephenColbert27 likes this.
  10. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Not so insane to not be punished for his crimes.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  11. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
  12. Shisno Doesn't know who did this

Message Count:
    WHAT THE HELL! I remember that asshole. What the hell does he think, "Umm, I killed 77 people out of self-defense" What the hell did they do to you? And I am even more surprised by how this asshole can possibly actually get out of prison at the end of his sentence! He butchered 77 innocent youths!
  13. FascistPatriot voted for Obama

Message Count:
    He was defending his country which he was a citizen of. Due to that I see self defense as a reasonable claim with this one. These youths were far from innocent. They were attempting to poison that country with their liberal lies. I say good riddance.
  14. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    ^ What a fucking boss. ^
  15. Shisno Doesn't know who did this

Message Count:
    FascistPatriot really spoiled the mood. SO THANKS! Just a question however. What liberal lies were they spreading?
    @FascistPatriot
  16. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    If he does get let out after the sentence, he should at least be put under house arrest or constant surveillance.
  17. Shisno Doesn't know who did this

Message Count:
    We can only hope.
  18. FascistPatriot voted for Obama

Message Count:
    Anders Breivik is sane. He is going to be paroled from prison one day. He may serve 21 years or less. He will be paroled one day. One day he will be a free man. If you don't believe me just Look take a look at at the Lockerbie Bomber. He was released. He was released a long time ago. If the UK let him out Norway will free Breivik. Soon. Real soon. How does that make you feel liberal? Does it make you sad? You can't lock a man up for long in Norway. He killed those teens fair and square and now he gets a new lease on life.
  19. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    What is up with the font style?
  20. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    copy pasta
    slydessertfox and Shisno like this.