Do you think we are alone in the universe & why?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by JayJayGT, Apr 10, 2011.

?

Do you think we are alone?

Yes, I think we are all alone in this vast universe 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No, I think there is other intelligent life in the universe 5 vote(s) 5.2%
Maybe, but I'm not really sure 91 vote(s) 94.8%
  1. cloud2080 Active Member

Message Count:
    Dartford, Kent, England, Europe, The World
    Well the universe is so vast and so large it'd be more surprising if we are alone.

I mean if we are alone that makes us unnatural freaks in the universe that makes us all the more special. But life, organic and (and i suppose in theory in-organic) life is so complex its likly that there is evolution in the universe and most likly intelligent life. Although how advanced this "intelligent" life is really depends. They could be at say 16th centuary stage or cave men or advanced aliens like we see in the movies.

On a side not, if we ever do start to colonise other planets, i think it would be us starting to attack other planets and destroying them. It just seems like something the human race would do. Assuming the fact we where still the most destructive singular force/organsim on the planet anyway...
  2. Unillogical Ex-Admin

Message Count:
    I don't think we're alone in the universe, but we are almost certainly isolated by just too much distance between us.
  3. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I kind of agree with slydesertfox what if their were many what if it was a expedition like that was polytheism multiple gods or explorers came to earth at different times named Zeus or Odin Etc. what if they created us for slave labor or servants or a puppet state to rule earth. or what if they created us to continue their legacy or maybe that all never happened who knows let's ask them before they destroy us or visit us who knows not me thats for sure
  4. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    YAY someone who understands and agrees with me :D :D :D
  5. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    And what if reality is made out of juju beans but we can't see the juju beans because magical talking half-dog half-shoe creatures who rule the world from the shadows have put a spell on our retinas.
  6. SovietEmpireUSSR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    There's no way we alone in this vast universe, that's just absurd. I think there's aliens in the solar system, but we haven't see them yet. We will find out soon though!
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    We have to remember that nothing is impossible :D
  8. Farken New Member

Message Count:
    I do believe that there is life some where out there. Whether or not that life is intelligent or even complex as multi-cell organisms is left to be seen.
  9. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:
    I think they exist and there like you know when we contacted those other guys an gave them some of our tech and they killed themselves so there like you know well just let them develop on there own but make sure they don't die.
  10. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    What if Earth is a Reality T.V Show :shock:
  11. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    No, you're the reality TV show...
  12. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:

Aww you didn't get the southpark reference
  13. The Mr. T Virus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If anyone hasn't heard of the Fermi Paradox they should look it up and read about it.

Basically it states that even if life on other planets exists, they cannot contact us. The logic behind the theory is that if a species has developed technology advanced enough to travel through the vast reaches of space, then the species would have blown itself up (through war, famine, etc.). The theory is mostly criticized because it assumes that species on other planets will develop along the same lines as the human species has (i.e. the creation of religion and different nations) and thus develop the same problems we will have.
  14. pants Active Member

Message Count:
    I prefer the 'non-contact' (for a large number of species) due to the exponential growth of civilisations. The probability of meeting another species at the same region on the 'growth curve' would be very small. Such that we either meet a bunch of lizards chilling out or some post-physicals that can't be assed to talk to us.

The Fermi paradox seems a bit of a cop out, and really assumes way too much.
  15. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I get it, but I made a really terrible referenec to the Truman Show.

And the Fermi Paradox is bullshit as there is never guarantee that all civilizations will collapse. It is very hard but to say that they will always destroy themself is rubbish. Even if they fail the first time around they can always try again. For example, lets say that in the future there is a nuclear holocaust on our own planet and at the end there are a few hundred thousand survivors. They will travel around like Nomads, then after a thousand years they might start farming. Soon after that there will be cities etc. Until they reach the point at which they destroyed themselves, where one of two things will happen and I don't think I need to post them.
  16. Autvvn New Member

Message Count:
    There are the vast skies of Jupiter and Saturn, the water of Europa, and the dense atmosphere of Titan all raise questions. We have found that life can exist without or using different elements that those of humans.

Regarding the Drake equation, there have been significant advances in many studies which show that more likely than not a star will have planets, and that there may be more planets than stars. We cannot even see most of the planets with our instruments. The factors are bullocks, all the probabilities are unknown and the equation is bunk until we have all the information, which will not happen.
  17. ImperialCommissar40k New Member

Message Count:
    If we really were alone in the vast place we call a universe, then that would actually be quite scary. There has to be life somewhere. One little planet in the entire universe with life on it would be quite lonely.
  18. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    I wouldn't find it scary at all, in fact I would find it quite reassuring.
  19. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    My social studies teacher made an interesting concept. He said, what if our universe is like a blade of grass (not literally but...) Outside our universe is a bigger universe. And then a bigger one ad a bigger one etc.