Dystopia project - idea's?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by LampRevolt, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Achtung Kommunisten! Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, European Union
    How's about one that used to be dependent on slavery?
  2. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Just rip off 1984.
    Or you can do your assignment legitimately, like the tool you are.

But I do actually have something useful to add:
    Basically a destroyed nation that is ruled by a sort of Oligarchy that forces the population to work in massive factories and raw production areas. In between there is a class of soldiers who's children become the soldiers afterwards. Like a hereditary system. They are used to keep civilians in line and are indoctrinated from birth to love the Oligarchy and see the population as animals who must be kept in place.

The production is then used mostly on new ways to oppress the population through things like mass cameras and microphones. The rest is put into a military that is constantly revamped and improved. Every few months a few, slightly more effective tank or gun is invented and immediately it must be produced for every soldier. Money is no object and often minor operations end up using huge amounts of resources.

As well, the Oligarchy has planned for revolt and has crushed it many times before. If workers strike, they kill everyone in the factory. If a protest hits the city, they encircle it and kill everyone who happens to be inside. If they somehow lose a city, they surround it for miles and miles around and then bathe it in a poison gas. In the event they somehow lose control and their social order collapses they are prepared to fire a highly contagious and highly lethal virus with no cure and no way to stop.

Citizens are never given an education of any sort and most can barely read or write and the talented few can do low leveled math. They are starved of everything except the bare necessities. For the most part they reluctantly follow the command of the Oligarchy and the few that resist are made examples of. They are often killed in very gruesome ways so as to further discourage resistance.
  3. Toast Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Britain in 2070, full of Muslims.
  4. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    The one that functions too much, definitely.
    And what Kali said.
  5. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I love you toast.

There's something to be said for Somalia but in the end I think I agree.
  6. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    The Al-Shabaab functions too much, not too little. Your Somalia argument is invalid.
  7. GeorgykZhukov Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    correction. A Dystopia is a setting in which nothing is good at all. It does not have to be a repressive government.

hmmm, dystopia. I'd have to say the US if it were run by Glenn Beck.
  8. Vulcan200x Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Your own self as leader..the greed and power will consume you.
  9. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    Re-making my post with more detail.

The worst I can think of would basically be kind of like a Corporate feudal state, combined with fascism. Corporations have unlimited power, and make up the actual government. People are forced to sell themselves for brutal work, with unlimited shifts, and no restrictions on age - All for barely enough to keep them from starving, you would have to slide in a dollar bill to enter the front door of your house, or turn on your tap. Slavery would be legal, and most children would literally be chained to work benches, or sold as sex slaves. There would be cameras on every building, in every house, and loudspeakers in every bedroom telling you when to get up, when your work shift is, and advertising consumer products round the clock. People would live in overcrowded slums, with whole families forced to share beds, women would have next to no rights, and would be the properties of their husbands.

A small class of financial elite would exist in absolute luxury, with legions of slaves, skyscraper-mansions and feudal like armies serving them.

Everybody would also have microchips planted in them, which they would have to scan to do just about anything, and which would track your mood, and locate people who were disloyal, and who would then be sent to concentration camps.

All disabled, elderly, or homosexuals would likely be sent to said camps to.

That is pretty much the worst Dystopia I can imagine.

Edit: Also, pretty much all of the stuff from Kara's post too, I can imagine would be a part of this Dystopian society.
  10. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Holy Christ you have quite the imagination.

But I like how the OP asked for A or B and everybody answered with every other letter in the alphabet.
  11. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    Well, if the OP had specified plausibility, I probably wouldn't have responded with that. That is definitely the worst case scenario I can think of though, despite how fictitious it may sound.
  12. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nah it's cool I like this thread :D people can day dream whatever they want.

The actual presentation went done all ready though .