Family History

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Artismoke, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 4zac1 Member

Message Count:
    My family on my mothers side comes from Asturias in Spain after the huge amount of Gallegos moving to the "new world" in the late 19th century.On my fathers side my Great Great Grandfather came from China and came to Cuba to work and ended up adopting the culture. My grandmothers cousin served in the war in Angola. Basically for many generations we have been a simple family of farmers in Cuba and Spain who around the birth of my mother moved into Havana. I am quite proud to say that I am certainly of no noble or royal blood, simply a descendant of a hard working heritage.
  2. xXxLKxXx Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    My fathers side of the family descended from Scandanavia, Austria/Prussia, and the Pequot tribe. My mothers side of my family came from britannia and Italy/Greece.
  3. Epiccheesegrater Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    My knowledge on my family's history is quite limited. My mother's family come from the Punjab in India and my father's side from England. My Great Granduncle was a navigator in a Lancaster bomber in WW2. I don't know much more other than that.
  4. Avnoy Member

Message Count:
    That's great. All I know is that my great-grandfather was a partisan during WW2, though I have no idea how much action he saw, since he joined toward the end. He worked at the factory (three generations of my family worked at the same factory) and later became a builder.

Before that, most of my family were just farmers and workmen, I guess. I think it was my 3x great grandfather who wanted to move to the US, but his wife wouldn't let him, so they stayed on Slovene soil :)

Sadly, I have no clue of my father's side :confused:
  5. Artismoke Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    My Irish descendants came real close to moving to America but decided to stay in Ireland until the 1920s. Once the violence began, most the family left for England pretty damn quick.
  6. Red Hand Clan Member

Message Count:
    My family history dates back to being Kings in Ireland, we became the King there by winning a boat race, whoever was first to touch the land would be King there, but as our the boats got closer to what would be known as Ireland we saw our boat was losing so what our first King of Ireland did was he chopped off his left hand and threw it at the island, seeing as it hit the rocks we were the victors and became kings there. I'm not sure when exactly this was but im fairly sure that this was in the early centuries. This is also why some regions in Ireland have a red hand as their county flag- Ulster in Northern Ireland has the red hand as its flag today. (The red hand is also in EUIII for Northern Ireland, which is called tyrone in EUIII :D )
    My part of the family then moved to Scotland later on and ended up with a castle and many different houses, my dads grandfather served in WW II as a Sergeant and my dad served in the army for a while too, I dont care what my dads parents did because they disowned him for marrying my mum (who's from southern india) thus meaning he didnt get anything that the other part of my family have ie the money, the castle etc, which is all very sad face.

I dont know much about my mums family, other then that she is Anglo-Indian and that her Grandfather was Irish and she moved to Britain when she was 9. I think her Grandfather also served in the British army in the days of the empire in india- he was very old apparently.

A lot of my family also seemed to have something to do with the army, I know of other stories of family fighting in wars- one was an Irish mercenary leader in the English Civil war.
  7. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Besides the thing I said about my grandfather earlier I don't no much about my family history. My mom's family came from Italy (My grandmother's parents from Ascoli) and I am unsure of my grandfather's family and have no idea what they did over there. I do know that both my grandparents families moved to PA around 1920 and lived basically across the river from each other.
  8. Artismoke Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Being a non-American, every time I see "PA" I think "Passachusetts".
  9. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:
    my great great grand mother helped take care of Gandhi as a child but thats all there is in my family everyone else accept my dad was a farmer
  10. DukeofAwesome Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nothing very exciting on my dad's side of the family as far as I know. We came from a small village in the Abruzzo region of Italy and we were probably farmers. They probably emigrated to America right about when Mussolini took power. My mom's side came primarily from (Republic of) Ireland and I don't know much about them but my grandfather on my mother's side served on the USS Mississippi (i think...) during WWII and he is a mix of German and Irish. Thats pretty much all I know unfortunately :/ or maybe my ancestors were really boring lol
  11. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Lol it's Pennsylvania
  12. Whraven New Member

Message Count:
    Most of my ancestors were rich Russian farmers. However, there is an interesting story concerning my father's line. My great (*6) grandfather was a Polish gentleman (there is a word for that in russian, however I don't know it translation, it's spelled like "shlyahtich"). However he fell in love with a poor girl and ran from home to be with her. They went to Ukraine where enraged parents would not find them. There they had 6 kids, one of them fell in love with a turkish woman and made her his bride. They had 7 more kids, one of them fell in love with Ukrainian girl and they also had a sh*tload of children :? And eventually one of them went to Russia. All of my ancestors came from different places and met at different locations, however all of my grandparents lived in two nearby villages (grandpa was from Siberia, grandma from Rostov, and other just lived there for many generations). It is strange that afterwards my father's and my mother's parents went to different places (Saint-Petersburg and Rostov) only to give birth to their children in one city, Obninsk. There I was also born.

So that's most of the story for my ancestors. There was also a grandgrandfather that burned alive in a tank, another grandfather who was prepairing a partisan movement in nazi occupied territory. And two of my grandparents were scientists who worked on nuclear reactors. Another grandpa was involved in a spy story in USSR (I already told about it in another topic).

I like my ancestral history, however find myself not knowing most of it.
  13. dylan522p New Member

Message Count:
    so detailed that almost think its fake but awsoe my fam history sucks balls we were just farmers everyone
  14. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Dad's side:
    My dad is Cantonese. He and his family immigrated to the Netherlands in the early 1980's. My father is a cook like my grandfather, but my great-grandfather was a entrepreneur and died in prison during the early years of the Communist reign in China. My grandmother was adopted 'cause her real parents were killed during WW2. One of my forefathers was a docter.

Mom's side:
    My mom is Hakka. I don't know much about her family. She came to the Netherlands in the middle of the 1990's.

Both my parents were born in the People's Republic. My dad lived a year in Hong Kong before he came to the Netherlands.
  15. Artismoke Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hakka is such a bad-ass sounding name.
  16. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Wrong, Switzerland has never done anything awesome like conquer Europe or something.
  17. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    interesting my moms side of the family is from Abruzzo and my dads side is from Molice (I believe tht was once part of Abruzzo)

Moms side
    great grandfather served i WW1 for Italy
    other great grandfather faught in war with Russia (i believe World War 1)
    grandfather served in Pacific navy in WW1
    grandfather from Poland grandmother from Abruzzo
    grandfather came from Poland right after World War 1

Fathers Side

DOnt no much bout fathers history
    Own family driving school
    Father came to America in December 1980
  18. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    I don't know too much about my ancestry other than my recent family history since it's not something easy to track down in Romania considering it's history, unlike in the U.S. for example where they've had social and political stability for a long time and records weren't lost (plus I'm sure most of my ancestors weren't influential people).

However, I do know I come from a long line of tall, sturdy, blue-eyed mountain people.
    Two of my great-grandparents fought in WWI and survived. I got to know one of them (my paternal grandmother's father) and he used to tell me all kinds of wonky stories, apparently he had seven brothers most of which were mountain bandits. He died about 14 years ago and he was well over 90 years old, he never stopped smoking or drinking and he was still in control of his mental faculties. I also remember he had a kick-ass beard.

I also think a bunch of people on my mother's side were Securitate informers but so were about half a million other people.
  19. ddbb089 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    My great grandfather was a factory worker in ww2 he was making the component for Messershmitt bf109s that let them shoot between propellers i think.He had an accidnent with his co-worker they were testing the component thingie but it shot the propeller to pieces and their bosses said that they were sabouteuring the factory work etc. He also fought in 1945 with his brother and he was taken as a POW by the americans and my great grandfathers brother was taken by the russians.The americans let him to hunt for animals. But his brother was interrigated and things of that nature. They both survived the war but my great grandfather died last year. :cry: Also my grandfather was a security guard,prison guard,and a firefighter over the years.
  20. Leonard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't really know too much about my family history except for these things:

from my dad's side:
    My grandfather and great-grandfather were both in the Dutch resistance during WW2. My grandfather also fought during the five or so days before the Dutch surrender as an AA gunner. I'm told he was really good at math and was therefore able to shoot down stuka's and so on

from my mom's side:
    I think I'm related to this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas I'm not sure though, as I don't really know too much about this side of the family either.