Family History

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Artismoke, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    On my Mom's side:

I don't remember where they're from in Germany, but they immigrated to America I think in the 1800s. I'm guessing before Germany unified. I also remember that my Grandpa was a Lutheren, but my Grandma was a Catholic, so my Grandpa decided to convert to Catholicism making my Grandpa and Gradma + kids the only Catholics in the family. I think my Grandpa was an engineer in the Korean War too, either that or my great-uncle.

On my Dad's side:

In 1916, right after WWI breaks out, the ancestors on my Dad's side were living in the Palermo Area (Sicily). Lucky for them, they accdientally decided to leave the country for America right when the bloodbath was starting for Italy. They went to Hammond, Louisiana, a small town near Baton Rouge. There they lived in "comfortable poverty", I'd assume, and then did the normal day to day jobs for a while. After about a generation (the kids of the immigrents were now the oldest) WWII breaks out. One of the brothers says he has an idea, and they all decide to meet at my Great-Great Grandpa's house. He believes that, because WWII just broke out, the demand for wood will take off. So he says they should hurry and open a lumber mill. Hastly they throw it together, and it does work and make them money, etc.

That's about it. There's tons of nothing-ness inbetween events though. It's like playing Victoria II as a nation with no decisions or events.
  2. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hakka is just the name of a ethnicity.
  3. Kalalification Guest

From Vicky 2 I'm guessing from the area sort of in Eastern Burma (Myanmar)?
  4. RonaldRaygun Futuristic Weapon Wielder/Commie Hunter

Message Count:
    I think this will answer your question nicely:
    [IMG]
    ;)
  5. Kalalification Guest

Oh right, the two 'k' Hakka are those minorities that I wiped out to make room for the glorious Beifaren majority. Genocide is definitely worth it to get rid of those annoying minority pop-ups.

Haka was the province I stole from the Brits after breaking through the ridiculously hard to traverse mountains that border Dali. Fighting them on the Indian plains (especially with the backup of the Indian Republic that I released from them) was easy-peasy compared to the hellish Burmese mountains.
  6. R0ry98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I have roots in greece russia france and italy and charles dickens was my great great great cousin
  7. donjo007 Member

Message Count:
    My grandfather told me that our family came from a noble family in britain. They moved to Danmark and the maid got a child with the son of the noble family or something and then she "moved" to Norway, and that was the start of our family. It would have been awesome to find out which noble family it was.

yeah. My ( brother of my grandmother)
    fougth in ww2 but he sadly joined waffen-ss. I think he served in a divisjon called Nord. He was in North scandinavia and fougth against Ivan at the battle of sennosero. Sadly he was captured and he died in sovjet imprisonment.

My grandfather was in the resistance. He and some other friend had a radio and all that. I think that the radio was buried in the garden at his friends house. it's still there to this day.
  8. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You should really go dig up the radio before it gets lost. Maybe it isn't nessiary for you or your generation of family, but the next generation, or the one after that would certainly like to have it.
  9. Tito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    On my mother's side, my family has been farmers and carpenters in rural Bosnia as far as we know.

My fathers side is much more interesting though:
    I am a cousin to Beriz Belkic, a former president of Bosnia and Herzegovina. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beriz_Belkic)

Another relative (not sure how) of mine, who is still alive but very old, was 15 when he began carrying supplies for the Partisan fighters in world war 2.

In the period of Ottoman control of the area, my ancestors were members of the Turkish nobility that administrated the Balkans.

My fathers history itself is quite interesting, he lived in the part of Sarajevo that was controlled by Serbian forces in the 92-95 conflict and was forced to work for them. He survived through that, met my mother, and moved to the U.S.
  10. Marshal Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    My Irish/Scottish ancestors on my father side were major doctors and physicians in Northern Ireland. Eventually some of them came to USA and fought in American Civil War.

My mother side were simple Tuscan Italians who came to USA in early 1900's and moved to Illinois.

I'm also related to Daniel Boone
  11. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    so you must be pretty young still
    im guessing 12-14? im 14

my family traces back all the way to someone who came over to America on the mayflower

on my moms side my great grandfather fought in WW2 as a fighter pilot or maintenance officer i forget
  12. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    One of my relatives apparently invented the whistling kettle while my great grandfather got injured in the battle of the Somme and got sent home. Then my gran had about 9 sisters but was reduced to 3 by the Spanish Influenza. My grandad also fought in the scuttling of the Graff Spe (think that is how it is spelt) - on my dads side.

My mums side isn't that interesting, my gran and her sister migrated from Ireland to Manchester At some point in the late 50s/early 60s. And the rest of family are a bunch of farmers in the back of beyond called Ireland. On my grandads side my great grandad was a fireman and so never went into the second world war. And that is all I know.
  13. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Around a hundred years ago in Vietnam my family were minor nobles other than that I don't know that much about my family history.
  14. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    <Che>YOUR FAMILY WAS DESTROYED WHEN THE WORKERS ROSE UP AND MADE VIETNAM A COMMUNIST PARADISE!!!1
    </Che>
  15. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  16. CheFlegel New Member

Message Count:
    So you mean your family were the fat nobles that created high taxes and starved the Vietnamese people? Good, they got what came to them.
  17. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Wow Link you predicted the future :lol:

Che did you not see the minor part? It really just means that my great-grandparents were able to get a better education and job than most people.
  18. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    What do you mean "they got was coming to them"? You have no idea what happened to them. They most likely died of old age in a warm bed surrounded by loving family and were taken care of the entire time by the family servants.
  19. RoyalAnarchist New Member

Message Count:
    It is likely many people in North Korea are thinking "Ooooh boomsticks, death catepillars and metal birds!"
  20. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Don't forget, "I wish I had some fucking food."