Family History

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Artismoke, Apr 21, 2011.

1. lukakiwi Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    considering this is mainly military family history, il say that both of the families which fused to make mine have a long military history, basicaly, every male member has fought and a member has fought in almost every war fought on the balkans since (and including) the ottoman invasion. On top of this some fought throughout eastern europe with soviet union in WW2 and russian empire. And my great uncle followed his ideology and fought in the spanish civil war.
  2. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    wait mine wasn't military based and i kind of sort of guessed that you were from maybe serbia
  3. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Anyone related to George Washington?
  4. glodraz Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Are you?
  5. Redclaw New Member

Message Count:
    Well i canĀ“t tell much sadly, but I have ancestors in Germany and England. My two Grandfathers died in WW2, 1 on German side, 1 on English side. And I know that one of my ancestors fought in the American War of Independence in a Hessian Regiment, sadly I dont know more about him
  6. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This topic was so friggin' good that I had to revive it! :)
  7. Aloysius Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well my I dont know much about my family. on my fathers side was a bunch of poor Polish Farmers and working class.
    On my mothers side was working class in Colombia. My grandfather was almost drafted but his father got around it by saying it was his only son and he needed to take care of his younger sisters. (which he did, he sacrificed his education to but his sisters through school even though he was very smart.) He later came to America with nothing but $60 in his pocket and no connections.
  8. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well my Grandfather was in the 90th infantry division and landed on Utah beach on D-Day in World War II.
    My Great Grandfather was in the 77th infantry division in World War I.
  9. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    I only know bits and pieces of my family history, though it is an interesting tale. I'll start with my Father's father's father's father. He was an Irishman, though I am not sure when exactly my family emigrated from Ireland. Some time around the turn of the century, I think. They were miners, who settled in the UP of Michigan. Anyway, he married a woman of full Native(Ojibwe, to be exact) descent in Sault(pronounced "sue") St. Marie, Michigan. They were extremely poor. Their son grew up in a broken home. He grew up to be an alcoholic/petty criminal. Which describes most of that side of my family. He lived on a shitty reservation. He died from reasons I was never told, but it was not a natural death. His son, my grandfather, obviously grew up in a broken home as well, the only difference being that this was the sixties, so he did what all criminal badasses did back then, and joined a biker gang. He said it was the only thing that stopped him from a life, and death, like his fathers, and instead gave order to his life. He had two children, the oldest was my uncle, the other my father. My father lived in some rural backwoods town while his parents tried to settle down, but it didn't work out, and he and his brother moved with their mother to Panama City, Florida, where he spent his younger and teen years. He grew up around poor minority gangs and beaches. His mother tried to get with several guys, at one point the lived on a farm when he was little, when he was a teen his mother married a Viet Nam vet. I knew him as Grandpa and loved him to death. He became an alcoholic and moved to an old person's home, but we'll get to that later. My father was expelled from his highschool his freshman year, but enrolled in a different school and cleaned up, graduated, and moved back to Michigan, spent some time with his father, then moved to a town outside Detroit with his mother's brother, who was upper middle class. He built houses in construction, met my mom, got a trailer, but then moved to Western New York when his stepfather(the veteran) got real sick(they had moved their from Florida to live with his Family, but my uncle stayed in Florida). Then somehow I appeared, but I don't know how that works.
    My Father's mother was also from Michigan, and her father was a truck driver who got hit by a train while driving an oil tanker(alcohol might have been involved). There was a big explosion, he died, and it devastated my family, might be why they moved to Florida(I don't know why their though). Somewhere in there, we have Civil War vets who fought for Michigan, so I'm guessing my family goes back a while there.

My mother's mother's mother was the daughter of Romanian Jewish immigrants. Apparently they moved to get away from the gypsies. Not sure though. My mother's mother's father was the son of German immigrants, i think. He might have fought in WWII in the airfoce, though I don't recall. On my mothers Fathers side, we can go back further. His family was from Kentucky, and they fought in the Civil War as Confederates, though I'm not sure if Kentucky itself was Confederate. They moved from there to Wisconsin, to Michigan(detroit) where my great grandfather fought in the Army in WWII, and was apart of the initial landings in Omaha beach. He liberated some concentration camps, and was then in Brussels. He brought home some spoils, a luger I think.
    Anyway, my grandfather spent most of his years in Los Angeles, but he never lived in one spot for long, moving all over the country. He never completed high school, and became engulfed in the LA surfing culture of the sixties, and claims that he and some buddies invented skateboards as a stunt, by strapping wheels onto their surfboards and dicking around with them. But then again he also claims that a creature, bigfoot as he says, startled him and his father while they were sleeping at a camp.

They had my mother, her sister, and their four brothers. My mother is the only one who isn't a loser, they are mostly pot heads and don't work a lot, with some exceptions. They lived outside detroit, by the way. Then my mother met my father, and I won't repeat myself.

That's all I got. The rest is yet to be written.

Also, somehow, somewhere in there, I have a bit of dutch in me.
  10. Leutenant_Germany Active Member

Message Count:
    my great great great great grandfather fought in the franco prussian war in a division that captured paris
    my great great grand father served in the same regiment as hitler but was killed on November 8 1918
    of my great grandfathers one served as a major in the 1st leibstandarte SS Adolf hitler division and was killed in Berlin
    another was captured at stalingrad and survived untill the end of the war
    the last was shot on his way to england after he surrended to American soldiers of the 1st "big red one" division in June 1944
  11. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    do we have any native americans here?
  12. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    *ahem*
    I'm part native.
  13. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    What tribe, its nice to find another native on the forums, other then Unholyknight.
  14. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    If you read my post you would know that I am part Ojibwe. Though I am mostly white, and you wouldn't tell I had any native in me of you saw me.
  15. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Why does everyone have interesting families, mine are all from Ireland. Although, my surname (Wilkinson) does have an interesting history, tracing to back the 11th century. But the information is shaky about that.

My grandad, on my dads side, fought in the royal navy in WW 2 and took part in the scuttling of the Grafspee, which I guess might be considered interesting. His grandad was wounded in the Battle of the Somme and so was sent home. My gran came from a large family but alot of them died from the Spanish Flu.

My mums side is very boring, large Irish family for the most part. Grandmas maiden name is Duffy which translates into "Dark One." Great grandad was a fireman and so never went to fight in Europe. Had a great great uncle killed in WW 2. Great uncle was hit by a bus and killed.

Other than that there are rumours. Although I am supposed to be, very very very very very thinly, related to Kevin Keagen.
  16. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    okay I would of guessed Iroquois or Huron.
  17. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Why? There are several Iroquois reservations around this area now that I think about it, though.

Also, "should of" doesn't mean anything. that is retarded grammar.
  18. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    If i remember my native history the Iroquois settled around lake Erie and the New England area, i myself is a mixture of Navajo and Apache, I am forbidden to learn the native languages or go to a reservation because Mixed natives can not return to there homeland,(If I remember correctly).
  19. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Huron are more in the Ontario/Michigan area(I do believe that they Ojibwe were apart of a confederacy with the Huron), whereas the Iroquois are from New York State, specifically everything north and west of Albany. The tribe I hail from, the Ojibwe(or as they are known to white "people", the Chippewa) are from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and the adjacent part of Canada. Like I said in my main post, my family is from there.

And you're Mexican, shouldn't you be part Aztec or Maya? Or are you a Criollo?
  20. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Mother's side: My ancestors on my mother's side came from Germany, Northern Ireland, and Wales. My grandmother is the Scotch-Irish and Welsh side. My grandfather is the Irish-German side. Their last name is Taylor, but it's actually Schneider. Its like that because when the union army was drafting troops for the Civil War, my grandfather's ancestor changed his last name to Taylor and moved to Pennsylvania. One interesting thing is my grandfather's brother served in the Vietnam War. He was shot up by machine gun fire in the stomach region but he miraculously survived. He lives a humble life now. My Grandfather served in the Airforce during Vietnam as a flight engineer. He also worked as a cook and a trucker while serving and earned a lot of money for his hard work. He told me he owned over 20 cars.

Father's side: I don't know much about my father's side. My grandmother's ancestors came from Slovakia (mostly) and Germany, and my grandfather's ancestors came from Germany. My grandmother's ancestors passed down their delicious Halushki recipe. My grandfather's ancestor I don't know much about. My grandfather served in both Korean and Vietnam wars as a radioman for an artillery crew. He sacrificed his hearing for our nation. In Vietnam, he either injured his leg or his knee got weak (not sure), but he wasn't able to walk and was sent out of Vietnam. My father lived in Germany, France, Italy, others for 7 years with his family (when he was a child) because his father was stationed there some time after the occupation of west Germany. My father and crew went back to America after the damn french kicked the americans out (one reason why I hate France). He lived in PA and served in the army, and went to college where he met my mother. He is a medical salesman currently.

Strangely, my family has lived almost entirely in Pennsylvania except my uncle in Texas. It's good because I can visit them all without having to take a plane or a long drive.

One other tidbit, my father married a German girl before my mom but he divorced her because she didn't want to have kids. I'm really glad he did!!