Greatest Military Leaders of all Time

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by El_Presidente, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:
    @ Deadtrap Yep lets all hate Napoleon cause he marched to Moscow during the fall and found Moscow in ashes totaly his fault so thats 500000000 points off oh here comes an early Russian winter Napoleons fault another 500000000 points off Also did you ever take Napoelon victories into account like Austrilitz, Arcole, and The seige of Turlo etc. Napoleon was a mastermind on the battlefield and a great leader when Napoleon had got back from Elba the 5th regiment was ready to shoot Napoleon when arrived so Napoleon walked up and said " Soldiers of the 5th regiment i am your Emperor, if any of you wish to shoot your Emperor do so now. and they responded with " Vive La Emperor. " and layed their guns down.
  2. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    You're back!!!

Also the biggest fail wasn't Napoleon's invasion of Russia, it isn't even a fail as he completed his objective, to take Moscow, but the only problem was that it was on fire, so he had to retreat. Also Alexander absolutely didn't face only "peasants", take care when you make these statements, as they're false. Julius Caesar was a great leader, but the Gauls weren't as disciplined as the Romans, so to talk they were equals is wrong.
  3. Achtung Kommunisten! Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, European Union
    He's got a thread and everything :)
    I really do hate it when that happens
  4. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:
    Yeah i get so pissed when everythings on fire.
  5. ddbb089 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ernesto Guevara
    Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
    Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel
  6. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    @Jay

Not going to details, did not mention.

Yes Caesar did, but also high quality (the very same men he was using) foes.

Yes, you got it right

@Emperor

Lets not get all upset for my opinion. In the end of the day this is all only our personal opinion. I dont hate on Napoleon. I did take his victories into account and they are great feats (Dont get me wrong I think Napoleon is by far one of the most notable people in history) But invading Russia and falling into oldest traps there is with such high casualties just wont cut it. Napoleon might be master of the battlefield, but has problems if that traditional pattern is messed with.

@Youri

Do you read my comments at all? Julius faced fellow legionaries (Best army in the world at time) and was out numbered two to one by them. Read before you post -.-''

@ddbb089

Rommel, most over rated commander of all time

@Everyone

As I said these are our personal opinions, no need to get all flamed up over ones opinion
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    At the battle of Guagemela, he was outnumbered 5-1. Actually now that I think about it, he was outnumbered 5-1 on multiple occasions. Yet he never lost a single battle despite being heavily outnumbered in almost every single one of them. If that is not a great military commander than tell me what is. Not to mention, he conquered 3/5 of the known world.
  8. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Alexander The Great was outnumbered nearly 5-1 in many of his battles. Thats a big difference from 2-1. And since when were the Greek City States they conquered peasants?
  9. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    lol double post.

Also Julius was simply lucky against Pompey, because he was easily defeated at Dirrhachyum but Pompey didn't keep chasing him and destroying his army, he just halted, allowing Julius to regroup and prepare for a decisive attack, he also had veteran soldiers from his campaigns in Gaul, which makes up for the fact of him being outnumbered.
  10. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    @Sly

?

@Youri

Caesar did not have steady supply and Pompey could just starve him out. And to other part I can easily say that Alexander go lucky. Luck is something that I dont believe in.
  11. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    Then you can put Caesar's success on Pompey's incompetence. Anyway Alexander already had a united greece standing with him, so he just had to simply expand with his fathers army.
  12. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    You said that Caesar was outnmubered as well, (2-1). SO I said that Alexander was outnmubered nearly 5-1 in most of his battles, and still not just defeated, but destroyed his enemies
  13. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:

Yes, but Alexander was facing peasants. Julius top class soldiers who had top organization, equipment, morale, training etc. Unlike foes Alexander was facing.

You certainly can make that argument. Pompey was pressured to fight, where as he would sit and wait Caesars armies to starve. Its hard call actually, considering that no one would see it coming. On other hand you should expect everything. Pompey how ever is not a bad general. Like I mentioned before he destroyed all pirates in Mediterranean sea (solving romes food crisis), witch is huge. In he's mid eastern campaign he killed or enslaved 12 million people, took entire mid east and doubled empires income. He is among the best generals that ever lived.
  14. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Guys, it was Alexander. Whatever you think, it DEFINITLY wasn't Caesar, Pompey, or any Roman.
  15. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    I know that, that's why he didn't engage Julius after he defeated him, he thought it was a fake retreat to catch him later, but as I said, Julius had a lot of veteran soldiers from his campaigns in Gaul, not even outnumbering your oponent, your new soldiers who never saw a real battle would win against veterans, also Persia had the elite Immortals, who were always numbered in 10,000 soldiers, plus their troops were shit, they relied more on local mercenaries.
  16. Soviet Streltsy Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I have to say that I hold Aleksandr Suvorov as one the best out there. I'll also give myself the benefit of the dout and put Leon Trotsky (even through he didn't lead an army) up aswell due to the fact that he transformed the entire Red Army from a disorganized morass to a effienent fighting machine.
  17. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    1. Oda Nobunaga
    2. Zhao Yun
    3. Hernan Cortes (Curse my english Keyboard)
    4. Julius Caesar
    5. Patton
  18. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Julius faced Pompeys veteran army in north Africa.

Patton? Really? Wow
  19. JayJayGT Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Patton, wow... just wow.

@Deadtrap
    I know that it is your personal opinion, but Alexander was also, in many battles, fighting Greek mercanaries... and, in later battles, Elephants... not to mention Darius' Bactrian cavalry and his Sythed chariots... I am not saying that there were no peasants, but the majority of the Battles he fought in were against... some of the best troops Persia had to offer.
  20. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Yeah those Persian chariots and those crack persian heavy cavalry were just worthless peasants. :roll: Oh and I forgot the immotals were just overrated peasants :roll: