Greatest Military Leaders of all Time

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by El_Presidente, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Got to go with the masses and say Alexander. Not only did he take on and defeat the mightiest empire of the time just for something to do, but he was always first into the breach and fought like a lion. A brave warrior as well as a brilliant general, and to keep his army going for so many years obviously suggested a man of great character.

He was, in the words of a great scholar, "da man."
  2. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Dont mess with da man
  3. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    This
  4. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    On a side note, did you know Alexander's surname was Norris?

's true you know... :?
  5. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Caesar faced eles in north africa as well (with Pompeys veteran army mind you) Also Persian chariots were worthless against Greek phalanx and immortals are no "elite" infantry. Darius fled the battle field as soon as things started to heat up and so did his entire "mighty" army.

Alexander faced far more inferior armies compared to what Caesar faced. Bad quality, low morale, not though, less trained, lacking in good equipment or leadership. I may also point out that his men made Alexander quit and go home, this has never happened to Caesar.
  6. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Alexander's army followed him for many, many years so you really can't make a comparison there.
  7. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:

I can, because so did Caesars.
  8. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    But Caesar's army wasn't continuously on campaign during that period.
  9. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    Caesar didn't conquer almost the entire known world.

There's also one his famous actions where he aproached an Alexander statue and cried, stating that at his age Alexander had conquered the world and he was just starting to make a name.
  10. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Caeser's army didn't stay with him as long, and fight as far from home for seemingly no reason other then their generals ego.

That being said, my list, in no particular order (but Placing Napoleon on top)

Hanibal Barca (really, no love, he would have wiped the floor with any of the ancient era generals)
    Alexander
    Napoleon
    Tamerlane
    Atilla

honarble mentions:
    Gustavus adolphus
    Fredrick the great
    Guderian
    J.C.
    Ghengis Kahn
    Sherman
  11. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    @Byzantine

Spain, Gaul, Germany, Britain, Roman civil war (All across Italy, Greece, North Africa, Mid east & Spain) & Egyptian Civil war.

@Youri

Do I have to come to this again? Alexander was born to throne, where as Caesar had to get to power (He was 32 when he got some notability) and was restricted by politics & senate.

@Pedro

Alexanders men had much higher moral goals may I assume? What ever the truth is, its irrelevant.
  12. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    I agree with everything on this list, but I would put there as well Rommel and Scipio.

Also Deadtrap, Alexander just conquered the entire known world in just 12 years, Julius took that time to conquer Gaul, it doesn't matter that he was very old when he had a name, he took a lot of time to conquer only a fraction of what Alexander did in so little time. Both had good armies, Alexander fought an entire Empire which had a lot of mercenaries and elites, not just a rabble of peasants with pitchforks, Julius simply fought barbarians (plus he lost some battle to another great general, Vercingetorix) and the only other real oponent he faced was Pompeius, a general who was only fleeing while Julius was trying to catch up with him.
  13. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Not at all what I meant by that. Merely trying to dismiss the "Alexander's troops abandoned him" argument. Just saying we can't really compare the two armies on those grounds because Alexander's men fought with him, and Phillip, for the better part of 15-20 years, many miles away from home, for almost no discernible gains. Caeser's men really only had the question raised do you want to cross the Rubicon, which they did, but completely different scenario.

Like my list said, I have great respect for JC, but don't place him on the same caliber as Alex (I'm using purely tactical and strategic judgments)
  14. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:

Oh okay, thanks for clarification. I think I've argued enough on this so I just leave my arguments why I think Caesar was better and leave it at that.

- He faced the very same troops he was using, meaning you cant claim that he had advantage in men themselves.
    - He beat these men over and over again
    - He was not born king, unlike Alexander
    - Superior engineering skills (To be fair this was much later than Alexanders time, so I guess this is no 100% valid argument)
    - Extremely charismatic man
    - Did not decline, unlike Alexander (Babylon)

PS. Do you mean tactical and strategic judgments on battlefield alone or in like everything? Provided that we are talking purely on battlefield people I wont bash Napoleon (Losing 400 000 men walking around is not really a great feat)
  15. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Strategic meaning basically how much did you conquer and in what manner did you do so, tactical meaning the manner in which you won your battles. Even after the Russian campaign Napoleon was still tactically brilliant. His hundred days campaign rivals his Italian campaign. He lost the war mainly because the allies refused to fight him head on until they destroyed his lesser Marshall's. Even in Russia he lost most men due to logistics, which you could of course blame on a strategic oversight on his part, but his battlefield record is impeccable.
  16. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Let's call the producers of deadliest Warrior and ask them to make an Episode to see who the better General was.
  17. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    On this I totally agree. Looks like we value different aspects in general. For me, a general who loses more men due to attrition (or what have you) than to enemy is a failure already. (Excluding Napoleon though, simply because of his in battlefield skills, yet they wont surpass his flaw, in my mind)
  18. JayJayGT Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, we are never going to come to any conclusion, so I am going to agree to disagree with you Deadtrap.

I just think that, on the whole "Alexander's army made him go home" incident, his army had been with Alexander and Philip for a very long time and crossed into Asia Minor, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Persia, Afghanistan and India... not to mention with Philip all of Greece... so campaigning for so long into so mant foreign lands, thousands of miles away from home... you can't really compare the army of Caesar's hardships to Alexanders.
  19. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    The greatest Tactician is the man who can win a batlle without any Casualties.
  20. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:

Founding Brittish Iles was same for people that day as finding a new world by Columbus and would be same to us if we would find aliens. We should also take terrain into account. Alexander had allot of plains, desserts & steppes where as Caesar in this situation had almost exclusively forests. I think you can compare.

But yeah, lets agree that we disagree.