Greatest Military Leaders of all Time

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by El_Presidente, Aug 6, 2011.

1. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    If you look right, most of the terrain in asia is mountaineous, only in mesopotamia, egypt and the levant it's purely plains, but I think his greatest battles were on plains so it doesn't count. Also Julius Caesar would've never choose a forested battle ground, but the Gauls made a lot of ambushes on him. Also you seem to think I don't consider him a great general, I do, I just don't consider him better than Alexander. Oh and Napoleon's invasion on Russia would be successfull if the Cossack raids didn't destroy their supply wagons.
  2. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:

And I think Alexander is great general, but not better than Caesar. Caesar had to travel via forest. And on Napoleon: Its an amateur mistake to let that happen. He should at least see it coming.
  3. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    On Napoleon, yeah he did a mistake, but even one brilliant men cannot command a 500,000 men army without losses. Also Alexander did fight on forests when he reached India, but Julius didn't actually travel through forests, romans never did that because they knew they would receive an ambush sooner or later.
  4. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    You can thank my boy Hannibal for that...

And on Napoleon, up until the Russian campaign, the period of warfare was characterized by Napoleon crushing his enemies in one major battle and then his enemies surrendering. He was operating under the assumption that this would happen again, or that in capturing Moscow (like when he captured Vienna) the Russians would capitulate. Once he got to Moscow, he was pretty screwed unless the Russians would be bold enough to meet him in open battle, which they weren't.
  5. yuri2045 A Marines Biologist

Message Count:
    Actually there was only one time where Napoleon caught the Russians, it was in Borodino. Also I question his decision to not go for St.Petersburg, it was their capital at the time and easier to reach than Moscow.
  6. Alexon the Comissar Member

Message Count:
    Well im British so Im gona' say the Duke of Wellington, he may not have been the most audaicous, but british generals dont plan to win battles they plan not to lose and so win by default. He never lost a magor battle. Beat all the marshall Napoleon sent against him and Napoleon himself one of the only generals to have one so. He also fought in India where he beat the Tipoo sultan the Tiger of mysor who had a very large army and european officers with a much smaller for of several socttish regiments and some more sepoy regiments at Assyee.
  7. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:
    Wellington did not defeat Napoleon Blucher did Napoleon had wellington crushed but then Blucher came in from behind and Napoleon had no troops to spare on Blucher.
  8. Alexon the Comissar Member

Message Count:
    Im commentting on Napoleons supply train even if the coosacks did not raid themhe did not bring winter clothing as he thought it would be a quick war underestimating the poor quality on russian roads then he burnt mosscow which ment all the supply he could have got there were lost. The cossacks merley spend the disaster up. Also I dont think napoelon was that good of a general just most other generals at the time were terrible and did not know how to stop a column which is to pour un relenting fire in to it untill they break.
  9. Alexon the Comissar Member

Message Count:
    Wellington did not defeat Napoleon Blucher did Napoleon had wellington crushed but then Blucher came in from behind and Napoleon had no troops to spare on Blucher.[/quote:1vwng6vj]
    I dis agree The fact that Blucher was still on the field which forced napoleon to hold back the guard was down to Wellington who stopped one of Napoleons marshalls at Quarter Bras which stopped Napoleon from destroying the Prussians at Leige and it was still british guard units that defeated the old guard which were napoeons last reserve.
  10. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:
    Wellington did not defeat Napoleon Blucher did Napoleon had wellington crushed but then Blucher came in from behind and Napoleon had no troops to spare on Blucher.[/quote:1ckcls30]
    I dis agree The fact that Blucher was still on the field which forced napoleon to hold back the guard was down to Wellington who stopped one of Napoleons marshalls at Quarter Bras which stopped Napoleon from destroying the Prussians at Leige and it was still british guard units that defeated the old guard which were napoeons last reserve.[/quote:1ckcls30]

Well i think had it not been for Blucher Napoleon wouldeve won.
  11. Alexon the Comissar Member

Message Count:
    Wellington did not defeat Napoleon Blucher did Napoleon had wellington crushed but then Blucher came in from behind and Napoleon had no troops to spare on Blucher.[/quote:316lv6sl]
    I dis agree The fact that Blucher was still on the field which forced napoleon to hold back the guard was down to Wellington who stopped one of Napoleons marshalls at Quarter Bras which stopped Napoleon from destroying the Prussians at Leige and it was still british guard units that defeated the old guard which were napoeons last reserve.[/quote:316lv6sl]

Well i think had it not been for Blucher Napoleon wouldeve won.[/quote:316lv6sl]
    You are quite right if Blucher had not been there then the french numbers would have started to over whelm Wellington but he was and that was thanks to wellington saveing him at liege.
  12. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    You know the open plains played right into the hands of the Persians right? Also, might I add that the Persians had the largest empire in the world at the time, so they were no "peasants". May I also add that Julius Caesar even admitted that he accomplished nothing compared to what Alexander did
  13. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:

Please explain to me how in the world you can not think Napoleon was a great general?
  14. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:
    Hes british what do you expect.
  15. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Well youve got a good point there. Especially since he thinks Wellington was better
  16. JayJayGT Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I am British, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that Napoleon was the best tactician of the age... and saying Wellington was better because he bested Napoleon once, when Napoleon bested countless others before him, is simply ludicrous... Napoleon was better than Wellington in nearly all other aspects... Wellington just got lucky and had he lost, I'd be speaking French or German right now.
  17. Emperor Napoleon Mr. Multi

Message Count:
    I dont think wellington had any OMG achievements did he like any of Napoleons?
  18. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    Shit leader, low morale, light armor was forth of crap pretty fucking peasant "army". Some people wavered right when they came to arrows range. We are talking of greatest military leaders, not how much one accomplished. You should read before you post, so I wont have to repeat these same fucking thigs over and over and over again: Alexander was born to be king, Caesar had to work to get in power and even then he was restricted by senate, politics etc. etc.
  19. Alexon the Comissar Member

Message Count:
    he was a master of logistics true he could put together large armeis in short periods of time but he had a habit of over reaching him self,( russia) on the field he was a good comander and his men would do anything for him but I do not think the column is a good tactic its just no one new how to stop it
  20. Alexon the Comissar Member

Message Count:
    wellington beat Napoleon ergo Welington is better Welington never lost a major battle Napoleon did ergo Welington is better