How the Columns work

Discussion in 'NKVD Newsletter' started by Bart, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Pedro3131 and I have set up a plan and system for people to write their own columns, and every month, the columns that are good enough, will be put in a monthly blog post on the home page. This is how it works:

Vinkje.png The topic.
    We will have a different topic to write about every month. At the bottom of last months blog post, we will announce next months new topic.

Vinkje.png Off topic.
    Writing off topic posts is also allowed. This can be about various political issues, but also on gaming, history, politics, or the political history of gaming. Or anything else, such as literature, films, sports, or whatever. Just make it interesting to read.

Vinkje.png Submitting.
    So you've just written a column about the political history of gaming, and you want us to post it? Mail us at NKVDnewsletter@gmail.com and we'll edit it, check it for grammar, and post it on the blog at the end of the month.

Vinkje.png The rules.
    As with everything on the site, there are rules and restrictions.

- You must use proper grammar.
    Of course, if English is not your native language, and you make some mistakes here and there, we frankly don't care. But if you are too lazy to check your own grammar at all, we'll just return your column and not care for it at all. We do this in our spare time, don't waste it.

- There is a deadline.
    Every month, we will add the deadline for sending the columns in the previous blog post. That will probably be three weeks for writing the column, and one week for us to edit the whole thing. We will post the exact date every blog post.

- No length limit.
    There is no limit in length, neither is there a minimum. We will judge it only on quality, so it is for yourselves to decide what you think will be the perfect length. The advised maximum is around 1200/800 words, but you may judge that on your own. It's all about the overall quality, and these details don't really matter.

There are no limits in the amounts of columns you may send in, but if there are too many columns (which is very unlikely), we might have to choose, or just split the post into two. We also might not post your column because we think the quality is not high enough, or because we think you don't have any supporting proof for controversial statements. Racist and insulting columns also won't get posted, but I think everyone had guessed that already.

I will keep this thread sticky but open for a little while, so people can send in some questions. I am not entirely sure if I've mentioned everything yet. You may also speak about the plan if you don't have any questions, but all off topic stuff will get deleted. Keep it on topic.

If there still are any unclear points, just ask me via pm, or in the comment section.
  2. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    I will now also mail everyone who mails us here, telling us they want to get in the list. They will get the column list every month in their mail too.
  3. theteremaster Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    the deepest depths of the Australian netherworld
    i happen to know quite a bit about Bethesda's history so that's what i could work on
  4. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Sure, but please keep in mind that you have to do your best on grammar. Nothing personal, though.

EDIT: I have just updated the OP, going further into the restrictions, and advised length.
  5. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Wait, what do you exactly mean with this? Do people have to mail to that adress if they want to sign up for the newsletter?
  6. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    People mail there if they want to get the columns in their mailbox too.
  7. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up.
  8. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Are you going to write a column?
  9. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I might, at some point. Right now, uni related stuff is taking up quite a bit of my attention, with me having failed all my classes and needing to redo some tests.
  10. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Don't you have your Christmas break tomorrow? I do, so I think I am going to write a quasi-philosophical column, and one on the topic, although I'm not entirely sure about how I'm going to do that one.
  11. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, Christmas break starts tomorrow, I'll be having two weeks to get some extra uni work done.
  12. Surfusa Lost in space-time

Message Count:
    Parradise Valley, Arizona, United States of Americ
    I could do the history of the Fallout pre war or better yet I could do a small column on the 'thought of succeeding" in Scotland. The latter maybe a liitle bias but I'll try my best.
  13. matthewchris Guest

You need to learn how to spell "Seceding" and "Scotland" first.
  14. Surfusa Lost in space-time

Message Count:
    I'll be on Microsoft word when I write it, but good point.

P.S. You spelled succeed wrong too
  15. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Sure, I'm looking forward to it.

I am currently working on why I think evil doesn't exist. Sounds boring, right?
  16. Surfusa Lost in space-time

Message Count:
    That sounds good, which topic would you rather? The Scottish one or the fallout universe
  17. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'd personally say the Scottish one, the history of Fallout sounds more like a standard atricle you might as well look up on the Fallout Wiki, the Scottish one really sounds interesting.

Also, I've been thinking of things I could write about at some point, most will relate to my study, which isn't much of a surprise, even though I don't know too much about it yet, I can write up some stuff about IT in society and such. I do want to write something about "hacking" at some point, and especially what isn't hacking, as people seem to get that mixed up a lot.
  18. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Can you explain me the Scottish idea? I think I'm going for Fallout, anyway. Maybe you could write a story based on the Fallout wars?
  19. Surfusa Lost in space-time

Message Count:
    Recently a few politicians have stepped foward to state that the Scottish want their independence. The Scottish Parliament will have a vote on it in the near future. Now Scottland contains oil and have a strong belief that they would thrive as a nation. In the article I would mention the possible outcomes if I were to happen.
    FeyBart and Viking Socrates like this.
  20. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    Do the Scottish article, and I will most likely not be able to complete an article in the required time to which i apologize for this, and hope to make one next time.