How you want to go out.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by GreatGranpapy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Now you're just finding loopholes, but the undeniable fact is that eternal youth and an indestructible body would be the ultimate gift.
  2. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Even then, you'd have to live with the knowledge that every single person you'll meet will die before you will. In the end, you'd have no one. Not to mention the torture that will occur when the sun dies. Everything will be obliterated except your body, which as you said was indestructible, but I guess still susceptible to pain.
  3. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    People die anyway. Besides, you would always meet new people.
    You'd live forever, so, on the contrary, you'd always have somebody.
    Tryin to find more loopholes, but pain is just your nervous system communicating to your conscience that it is being destroyed, and so an indestructible body would have no reason for pain. You wouldn't feel pain.
  4. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't know if anyone close to you has ever died, but infinitely (well, until all humans are dead, of course) losing people you care about seems rather depressing to me.

That is, until there inevitably are no humans left.

Loopholes? If you live forever, this will happen. Even if an indestructible body has no reason for pain, it'd still feel it. We have no use for our appendices, nor do whales have a use for their legs. Still, they're present. Evolution only goes so fast.
  5. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    "... I find the thought of taking one wife after another throughout the long centuries rather depressing."
    - Eragon Shadeslayer
    Humans are social creatures. We seek out company.
    Its all well for a person to be alone for a brief amount of time and think that they will be alright that way forever, but that is simply not the case.
    Social isolation is arguably the cruelest punishment that can be imposed on an individual.
    And you would be outcast.
    "You are not human if you don't feel pain."
    Haven't you ever heard of that?
    "The idea is so... vast, its almost inconceivable. Death is part of who we are. It guides us. It shapes us. It drives us to madness. Can you still be human if you have no mortal end?"
    - Roran Stronghammer

You would be a monster.
    "We answer to Angvard, in his realm of eternal twilight. We answer to the Grey Man on his grey horse. Death. We could be the worst tyrants in the whole of history, and given enough time, Angvard would bring us to heel... Humans are a short-lived race, and we should not be governed by one of the Undying.
    - King Orrin

You would be alone.
    "Alas that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the final days of my house."
    - King Theoden

What life is it to live alone. Not of your own decision, but by the decision of the others, who shun you.
    That you should live to see the greatest good done on this Earth, but also the greatest evils. And to bear them alone, in shadow.
    That none could know you, for you have ascended beyond what is human, into what is not.
    That you would lose all that makes you human. You would lose your empathy, for, what is pain, when you do not know it; do not feel it.
    Warburg likes this.
  6. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Say what you will, but it definitely wouldn't be as bad as everyone thinks it would be.
  7. GreatGranpapy Member

Message Count:
    I think Shaw has a point though. I would love to be able to move the little bits and pieces of humanity to ensure their survival. I think eternal life/immortality should be coupled with super powers for the greatest effect though.
    I have to say that I loved the Eragon series quotes from Imperial. It's a shame they botched the movie in about as many ways as possible.
    Imperial1917 likes this.
  8. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Eternal life doesn't make you all powerful. Just because you can't die doesn't mean you will get superpowers. Your mind will eventually excede the understanding of normal humans, and both you and they would question if you were even still human. Why do you think you would have the ability to make humanity survive?

Oh and Inheritance is probably my favorite series after A Song of Ice and Fire and Arn(Jan Guillou).
  9. Kalalification Guest

I believe I've already answered this one: in a blaze of nuclear glory, along with the Eastern hemisphere.
  10. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Just as you have done with other arguments, choose as you will. Just don't expect me to envy your decision.
    In morality, I will see the end of my troubles.
    He does have some points.
    I would probably, given immortality, give my life and time to helping others than myself.

Lol. Yeah. The movie was horrible.
    Anyone who has ever really read the books [or any decent book for that matter] and considered how to make it into a movie knows that one of the greatest hurtles is getting the inner thoughts of the characters over to the audiance. In the case of the Inheritance Cycle, it makes use of inner thoughts more frequently than most others and is very much based on it, so making a movie is tricky.
    But the movie was so bad that I cannot even congradulate them on the effort. It was a waste of time, energy, and money for everyone involved, including the people who paid to watch it. I feel sorry for Paolini and the series, as the movie probably drove away some of the fans that a good movie would have attracted.

Yes, you did. And it is in my sig. :)
  11. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    I hardly see you as the kind of guy to hand deliver a nuke, you'd just push the button.

Tbh though, I'll probably die trying to find out if D.B. Cooper could really have done it.
  12. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah I can't believe he approved of that monstrosity. Probably the biggest disappointment regarding movies in the 00's.
  13. GreatGranpapy Member

Message Count:
    Detonating a very large explosive to save a greater cause (or something of the sort) and dying in the blast would be my second preferred. Also, how would you not want to die. For me, any method of slow, painful torture while watching loved ones die is the worst way I can think of.
  14. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Suicide must be the worst way to die.
  15. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Its also known as martyrdom. And its increadibly popular.
  16. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Is jumping off a building because your drunk and depressed really all that noble and popular? Why, I had no idea. What a way to fight for the cause of.... alcoholism, or something. Indeed.

If I meant martyrdom, I would have said martyrdom. But I didn't, because I meant regular suicide, and that's what I said.
  17. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    "Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
  18. GreatGranpapy Member

Message Count:
    You come up with that or did some wise man say that?
  19. Warburg Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sure.... Chosing yourself to die if you've had a long and rich life and now have a extremely painful disease is the worst way to die...
  20. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Now I'm no expert on death, but if I were asked, and I was, I would say that suicide is definitely the weakest way to die, and that's why I think it is the worst. Now I'm sure I have offended people, but I stand by my words.