Is there a Purely Selfless Act?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by JosefVStalin, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    So, are you saying I'm stupid, or agreeing with me, or what?
  2. Onyxja Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Q:Is there a purely selfless act?
    A:Only if you act when you are brain dead.
    bender likes this.
  3. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I am agreeing with you, and also stating that whatever you say will be lost on half the people who read it anyway.
  4. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    You know why my brother in law joined? Not because he wanted to kill people. It was because he could not get a college degree so joined the Marines so he could have a good life and provide for his future family. That's why most people join. They join for the benefits being in the military has to off, like healthcare, and their post-retirement benefits. If you think for a second these people joined just to go kill some evul moozelamz, you are gravely mistaken. A lot of them pray they don't have to kill somebody.
  5. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Maybe some good will come of it.
    It hardly matters if they pray to not have to kill someone. If they knowingly join the military knowing that they may have to, they are still entirely at fault. Whether it's right or wrong is situational, but their prayers don't change their actions or the consequences of those actions.
  6. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    People join the military to kill, this is not true. All people in the military kill or are in combat, not true either. However, yes, some people do kill while in the military. But 99% of the time they are killing other people who also joined their own country's military (or your friendly neighborhood terrorist cell).
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    But the reason they join is not to kill someone.
  8. Spartacus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hey Comrade, you have yet to reply to my post, you wanna to get to it sometime or are you just gonna ignore my points because they are sarcastic?
    General Mosh likes this.
  9. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    But, in joining, they view it as an acceptable risk, and so they are to blame.
  10. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    People are going to argue to defend their loved ones. Nobody thinks their loved ones are capable of evil.

They are. As are we, and we shouldn't be judging these people for it but trying to understand the social reasons for this occuring so that we can actually change the world instead of randomly calling people evil like we're somehow special and independent from that fact.
  11. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Comrade Ler's argument is that they join specifically to kill people. That is what I am arguing against, because even though they accept it as a risk that they are willing to take, that is not why they sign up.
  12. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Well, that's preposterous, then. You can't possibly know their motives, nor can Ler. At least what Ler is accusing them of is in their job description, though.
  13. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    My father is in the Air Force, he has never fired a gun in combat. Hell, he does not have too much combat training either (although when he was in Korea a few years back he received some pretty extensive training). He is a mechanic and an expert in USAF aircraft. My father didn't join because he couldn't get a college degree. In fact, my father is respected by his superiors for his brains and worked with Lockheed Martin on an aircraft once. The whole point of this is, the military is made up mainly of support personnel who don't ever expect to see an enemy, much less get the chance to kill. I myself want to join the Navy one day, or perhaps work to be a USAF pilot. Although, given my health conditions I would most likely not make it in =P. The point of my rambling is that not everyone joins for glory or killing. There are so many different things people join for. And, in fact, as I have learned over the course of being an "Air Force brat", that killing is not in the job description and that a relatively small amount of our troops see combat.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  14. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    Pretty sure airforce people don't ever fire guns in combat. Not in any normal combat, anyway.
    So, he doesn't have much combat training except for his extensive training? Whatever you say.
    They are risking it, though. In joining, they are making a conscientious choice to kill people or be a part of the process of killing people. This is not up for debate. It is their job description.

That's like a landscaper saying it isn't his job to cut the grass because it happens to be short most of the time.
  15. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think your missing the point mosh that the entire organization your father works for is DEDICATED to eliminating enemies of the united states. It has absolutely no other purpose LOL. What do you think support workers do anyway? Perhaps the engineers work on planes that will never go into combat ever and DEFINITELY never contribute to bombing any civilian targets in a war I don't think I need to mention.
  16. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Have you ever heard the term collateral damage? Yeah, look it up.
  17. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Have you ever heard the term shooting missiles at people fully knowing that they will die? Make all the excuses you want too.
  18. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    Are you saying that the people we are firing at had absolutely NO IDEA they were in harms way? Gimme a break.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  19. Comrade Temuzu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Stupid civilians, thinking they could escape the justified wrath of the United fucking States of motherfucking America.
    slydessertfox and General Mosh like this.
  20. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah if someone decided to bomb your town because there were some people they didn't like in there and you died you would be totally responsible for that fact. God what were you thinking being killed by a bomb LMAO that orphanage was just asking for it.