Kids doing Adderall to score better on tests

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by The Shaw, Jul 3, 2012.

1. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:

I completely agree Pedro. The one thing I think needs clarification is the way kids with ADD or ADHD act. Trust me on this one, I work with kids on a daily basis, as my job. You can 100% tell when the kid has one of these conditions, no survey necessary. I am working with one now who cannot pay attention to you for more than 3 words before bolting, or, in many cases, attempting to run away.

What I disagree on, is the reason for such a high rate of kids diagnosed with the disorder. From my work with kids and their parents, most of the time they want there to be something wrong biologically, especially among parents. They want there to be any easy explanation to why their child is not progressing socially, or just being abnormal. It is the same as we get older. Take for example my recent Freshmen Orientation. While there, we broke into smaller groups and did an activity where a statement would be made, and if that statement applied to you, you would step forward. It basically, as I so eloquently put it afterwards, was to show that, "We all got problems." In any case, as specific statement came up that goes as follows. "I am taking medication for a physical or mental defect or disorder." Out of the seven, four stepped forward. Now, seeing no external physical defects, and assuming that they had not internal ones, I assumed that they must be mental. In my personal opinion, none of these people had anything wrong with them other than an inability to accept flaws. I understand that there are people that actually have these issues, but what I find is that we are constantly told, ironically, that there is something wrong with us if there is nothing wrong with us.
    slydessertfox and The Shaw like this.
  2. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah I have ADD and the doctor said to my mother " The only way he can get the pills is if I diagnosis him and if he is positive it iwll go on record and he will proably get the job " bear in mind guys the reason my parents got me checked out if because I was depressed over my schoolwork and me failing school so yeah her telling us this really didnt help. and aprently my mom didnt want me to get diagnosied so the doctor just reccomended these shady looking pills and they literally do nothing but my parents think its a fucking miracle and now they jump at any chance they get to get my on pills, vitamin C, Vitamin D, Happy pills, etc.

Edit- Yeah also aparnetly my parents think I am getting smarter because of it because aparently when I go from 1.7 GPA to 1.8 a pill makes me smarte.... yup.... totally.
  3. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    I used to have horrible grades, and so everyone thought I had something wrong with me, went to see doctors they diagnosed me with stuff. But you want to truth I was just lazy and had no desire or ambition to do the work, however after years of almost being held back I have up my grades alot the last year making almost all As. I also think a change in my diet did help, especially going from only drinking pop to mostly drinking water.
  4. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    You are mixing my statement of what laws are instituted for and my opinion/argument on drug laws. They are related, but not the same.
    Society makes drug laws to prevent people from harming others with their drug use as much as protect people from themselves. Like it or not, there are victums of the drug use besides the drug users themselves, especially for the harder drugs. Legalizing them will not simply make all the cartels and other issues associated with drugs go away.
    People bicker about everything, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be laws. By your argument, laws themselves should be abolished.
    Tell me in what ways the protection of an individual from themselves only serves to harm them. That seems contrary to its purpose.

And if I am blind, then enlighten me.
    And you would just love for him to be a multi of mine, wouldn't you? Just like with Kura. Get us both banned.
  5. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Remind me to respond to this later, tomorrow or later tonight possibly.
  6. DukeofAwesome Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't think kids get put on drugs because they can't accept their flaws. Hell, I'd be surprised if the kids getting drugged up even had a say in the matter. It's the parents who can't accept that they made some kind of mistake with their child, and so they get some magic pills to feed to them.

Also, your freshman orientation sounds boring. My group played Ships and Sailors for 15 minutes, and then some teachers walking by joined in.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  7. Lenin Cat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    It hasnt been made official yet.
  8. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    I have epilepsy. I hate the pharmaceutical corporations to the core, and I know they are poisoning me. But in the end, It's either that or constant round the clock seizures.
  9. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    No, they aren't.
  10. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    I remember when this one kid had epilepsy at are school and he had a seizure and fell of the bleachers onto the concrete and his brains went everywhere. 1/2 the school cried for like weeks, the other 1/2 just didn't give a fuck and went on with there lifes.
  11. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    That is a horrible story.
  12. TheEmperorAugustus Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    What half were you? Or are you the guy with epilepsy?
  13. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    I legit laughed at that shit.
    But I agree with Link.
  14. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    It was some rich athlete who treated everyone like shit who had the seizure, To be honest I was part of the camp that really didn't care, but some people took it really hard and kept crying forever.
  15. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    I think I might have used the word kids to represent to large a swath of age groups. The ones that like to use it to cover flaws, and, again, this is not to say that all older teens don't take these drugs for legit reasons, are the older teens, roughly 16-19.
  16. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Jesus Christ man.
  17. theteremaster Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    the deepest depths of the Australian netherworld
    Ban them everywhere. If you aren't smart enough to pass a test then you shouldn't be in school.
  18. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    I really, really don't want to write the essay that would be necessary to tell you everything that is wrong with what you just said.
  19. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    ^Damn no Link essay I am disappointed.
  20. theteremaster Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    the deepest depths of the Australian netherworld
    They should be using the governments time in a useful manner, like digging coal or working in a factory.
    UtterlyImpeccable likes this.