Meet Five Historical Figures

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by Augustus Magnas, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ya, I wouldn't be surprised.
  2. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    I would honestly like to meet the people he meet and take into account there thoughts on him.
  3. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Henry Ford?
  4. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't know, actually, I should probably look it up some time.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  5. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    UnitRico likes this.
  6. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's my birthday. That's my fucking birthday. This car has been introduced exactly 29 years before I was born. This isn't a coincidence.
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    You were meant to ride in a mustang.
  8. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I know, right?
  9. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You also share your birthday with Paul van Loon who was born in 1955. That can't be a coincidence either!
  10. Leonard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Herodotus
    Magellaen
    Polybius
    Hanno the navigator (the Punic navigator that travelled really far down the African coast in like 500 B.C.)
    Marco Polo

There's more, but that would be my top 5 (in no particular order). I only picked explorers/historians because they have seen a lot of things that are no longer around. It would be really interesting to compare their knowledge with our own.
  11. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    He invented the heaven and earth fighting style.
  12. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'll go and find some more noteworthy things that happened that day!
    battleearl, Bart and slydessertfox like this.
  13. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    April 17th may be an ordinary day for all of you, but me and my family, its different. April 17th 2011 was the day my thumb began to twitch. I went to the doctor to have it checked out and my treatment started immediately. Going back every other week for treatment was a real hassle for not only me, but my entire family. They hated seeing me in this condition and frankly, I hated to have to watch them watch me suffer. After the second treatment i began to loose my hair. On my thumb. It got more and more painful with each visit to the doctor for check ups and treatment. I started loosing my friends closest to me, I never had time to talk to them. They came to visit me as much as possible to keep me company in my time of need, but for some reason we just grew further and further apart. Although, on December 13th, the doctor said my condition was improving. The twitches slowed from about 70-80 twitches a minute to about only 20-30 a minute. on February 2nd, 2012, I was confirmed to be twitch free and have been ever since. I couldnt have done it with out the support of my family. Thank you all.
  14. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    So what happened?
  15. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I was confirmed to be twitch free and have been ever since
  16. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    This is a bunch of the noteworthy stuff that happened on April 17th.'

edit: damnit thats only music stuff.

edit 2: here we go http://on-this-day.com/onthisday/thedays/alldays/apr17.htm
    On April 17th...
    1492 - Christopher Columbus signed a contract with Spain to find a passage to Asia and the Indies.

1521 - Martin Luther was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church.

1524 - New York Harbor was discovered by Giovanni Verrazano.

1535 - Antonio Mendoza was appointed first viceroy of New Spain.

1629 - Horses were first imported into the colonies by the American Massachusetts Bay Colony.

1704 - John Campbell published what would eventually become the first successful American newspaper. It was known as the Boston "News-Letter."

1758 - Frances Williams published a collection of Latin poems. He was the first African-American to graduate from a college in the western hemisphere.

1808 - Bayonne Decree by Napoleon I of France ordered the seizure of U.S. ships.

1810 - Pineapple cheese was patented by Lewis M. Norton.

1824 - Russia abandoned all North American claims south of 54' 40'.

1860 - New Yorkers learned of a new law that required fire escapes to be provided for tenement houses.

1861 - Virginia became the eighth state to secede from the Union.

1864 - U.S. Civil War General Grant banned the trading of prisoners.

1865 - Mary Surratt was arrested as a conspirator in the Lincoln assassination.

1875 - The game "snooker" was invented by Sir Neville Chamberlain.

1895 - China and Japan signed the Treaty of Shimonoseki. It was the end of the first Sino-Japanese War. In the treaty China ceded Taiwan to Japan.

1916 - The American Academy of Arts and Letters obtained a charter from the U.S. Congress.

1917 - A bill in Congress to establish Daylight Saving Time was defeated. It was passed a couple of months later.

1935 - "Lights Out" debuted on NBC Radio. It ran until 1952.

1941 - Igor Sikorsky accomplished the first successful helicopter lift-off from water near Stratford, CT.

1941 - The office of Price Administration was established in the U.S. to handle rationing.

1946 - The last French troops left Syria.

1947 - Jackie Robinson (Brooklyn Dodgers) performed a bunt for his first major league hit.

1961 - About 1,400 U.S.-supported Cuban exiles invaded Cuba at the Bay of Pigs in an attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro. It was an unsuccessful attack.

1964 - Jerrie Mock became first woman to fly an airplane solo around the world.

1964 - The Ford Motor Company unveiled its new Mustang model.

1967 - "The Joey Bishop Show" debuted on ABC-TV.

1967 - The U.S. Supreme Court barred Muhammad Ali's request to be blocked from induction into the U.S. Army.

1969 - In Los Angeles, Sirhan Sirhan was convicted of assassinating U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy.

1969 - Czechoslovak Communist Party chairman Alexander Dubcek was deposed.

1970 - Apollo 13 returned to Earth safely after an on-board accident with an oxygen tank.

1975 - Khmer Rouge forces capture the capital of Cambodia, Phnom Penh. It was the end of the five-year war.

1983 - In Warsaw, police routed 1,000 Solidarity supporters.

1983 - In New York, a transit strike that began on March 7 ended.

19840 - In London, demonstrators outside the Libyan Embassy were fired upon from someone inside. Eleven people were injured and an English Police woman was killed.

1985 - The U.S. Postal Service unveiled its new 22-cent, "LOVE" stamp.

1985 - In Lebanon, the cabinet resigned as Shiites took W. Beirut.

1987 - In Sri Lanka, Tamil guerrillas killed 122 people in a road ambush.

1989 - In Poland, courts gave Solidarity legal status.

1993 - A federal jury in Los Angeles convicted two former police officers of violating the civil rights of beaten motorist Rodney King. Two other officers were acquitted.

1996 - Erik and Lyle Menendez were sentenced to life in prison without parole for killing their parents.

1999 - In India, the government of Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee collapsed after losing a vote of confidence.

2002 - At the National Maritime Museum in London, the exhibit "Skin Deep - A History of Tattooing" opened.
    Shisno likes this.
  17. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You can actually find quite a large list when you type in any date into Wikipedia.
  18. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I am surprised a lot of important stuff happened on April 17th.
  19. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I know, some pretty awesome stuff. I hardly knew any of the other people who shared my birthday, though.
  20. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Here's some important things that happened today...
    April 26

Today's: Famous Birthdays - Music history

1478 - Pazzi conspirators attacked Lorenzo and kill Giuliano de'Medici.

1514 - Copernicus made his first observations of Saturn.

1607 - The British established an American colony at Cape Henry, Virginia. It was the first permanent English establishment in the Western Hemisphere.

1819 - The first Odd Fellows lodge in the U.S. was established in Baltimore, MD.

1865 - Joseph E. Johnston surrendered the Army of Tennessee to Sherman during the American Civil War.

1865 - John Wilkes Booth was killed by the U.S. Federal Cavalry.

1906 - In Hawaii, motion pictures were shown for the first time.

1921 - Weather broadcasts were heard for the first time on radio in St. Louis, MO.

1929 - First non-stop flight from England to India was completed.

1931 - New York Yankee Lou Gehrig hit a home run but was called out for passing a runner.

1931 - NBC premiered "Lum and Abner." It was on the air for 24 years.

1937 - German planes attacked Guernica, Spain, during the Spanish Civil War.

1937 - "LIFE" magazine was printed without the word "LIFE" on the cover.

1937 - "Lorenzo Jones" premiered on NBC radio.

1941 - An organ was played at a baseball stadium for the first time in Chicago, IL.

1945 - Marshal Henri Philippe Petain, the head of France's Vichy government during World War II, was arrested.

1952 - Patty Berg set a new record for major women’s golf competition when she shot a 64 over 18 holes in a tournament in Richmond, CA.

1954 - Grace Kelly was on the cover of "LIFE" magazine.

1964 - The African nations of Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged to form Tanzania.

1964 - The Boston Celtics won their sixth consecutive NBA title. They won two more before the streak came to an end.

1968 - Students seized the administration building at Ohio State University.

1982 - The British announced that Argentina had surrendered on South Georgia.

1983 - Dow Jones Industrial Average broke 1,200 for first time.

1985 - In Argentina, a fire at a mental hospital killed 79 people and injured 247.

1986 - The world’s worst nuclear disaster to date occurred at Chernobyl, in Kiev. Thirty-one people died in the incident and thousands more were exposed to radioactive material.

1998 - Auxiliary Bishop Juan Gerardi Conedera was bludgeoned to death two days after a report he'd compiled on atrocities during Guatemala's 36-year civil war was made public.

2000 - Charles Wang and Sanjay Kumar purchased the NHL's New York Islanders.

2002 - In Erfurt, Germany, an expelled student killed 17 people at his former school. The student then killed himself.

2012- @UnitRico discovered all the awesome stuff that happened on his birthday.
    UnitRico likes this.