Obama to cut military budget

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by Byzantium's Revenge, Jan 5, 2012.

1. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, you could say that, to be fair. But you could also say Obama did jack about trying to get them in line.
    Back on topic
    In the past that was true. However, it could be foreseeable that US presence in Europe will decline, with the focus being more on the Pacific.
  2. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Since the war on terror is now offically over I see this as a good thing and I think the economy might be back on track within 5 years. Of course they thought the same thing back in 2007.
  3. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    To me I think is a good idea to cut back on military spending. The only problem is that a large amount of the money goes to paying military personal and Veterans. Also Lighthouse the hole "war on terror" is not over, troops are still in Afghanistan and if I remember correctly were not leaving in till 2014.
  4. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well on the Colbar or however you say it he had a US general that said the war is offically over. We dont need to be at war to have troops in foreign countries.
  5. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well to me we are still at War as long as they are in Afghanistan. A US military base is Afghanistan is diffently more likely to be attack then lets say one in Europe.
  6. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    From what I understand Obama isn't really "cutting" the military, he is just slowing down the growth in terms of spending on the military. The USA will still be spending more on its military 5 years from now than today.
  7. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    From everything I've read there's about 450 billion in cuts, with the potential to add another 500 billion to that total over the next 10 years. Also they're dumping up to 100k troops (1/10th of our force depending on how it's spread out (it's roughly 500k active duty 500k reserve/national guard) so it's actually a pretty significant drawback. It's similar to what Clinton did in the 90's only they're letting the troops go over the span of 2 years instead of all at once
  8. J.F.K the communist Member

Message Count:
    If I was to cut state funding and i was the U.S leader the first thing I world cut would be the army. america dose not and should not need such a big army it should only have another military power to stop it from being invaded. well coming to think about it that means they will need quite allot as they have so many places hating them. well coming to think about it if they cut the army to a smaller another size i would attack so YES its a good idea.
  9. 3man75 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Give or take different countries need different things and what works for a European country might not be too smart for us.
    We also don't have any kind of North American union "NU" to get help from.
  10. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    You don't need to have one as you know North America is only made up of three countries.
  11. CubaLibre Member

Message Count:
    That is a "cut" in federal budgeting (and, I should say, any long-term budgetary accounting).

I am absolutely 100% all about massively slashing the defense budget, as long as all of that slashing is in R&D and munitions contracts and not veteran's benefits.