origins of racism?

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by TheFriendlypie, Oct 29, 2011.

1. TheFriendlypie Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Seriously, where did this plague come from? I mean medieval Europe and classical Arabia hated each other for centuries but real, known racism didn't emerge until slavery became a huge European import. None the less Im puzzled as to how only us European/Americans (but for some reason not Latin america) have embraced racism, while blacks, Arabs, Asians, etc remain oblivious.
  2. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    That is a huge misconception with racism. That it only stems from one part of the world. We know this form of racism the best because we live with it.
  3. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Racism has existed forever. However, most 'races' have not been in contact forever. Racism began with: Your not from here so I think of you as less. Simple as that. Slavery existed around the world, the only reason we know the Western one so well is because we live here.
  4. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Asians? Oblivious to racism? Lol.
    Chinese were some of the first Asians to form a distinct, settled, agricultural civilization. Soon after [and indeed, believed to exist before], Shi Huangdi's formation of the first Chinese Imperial Dynasty, Chinese became very isolationist. The WEST'S name for the region is China. The people's name for it translates to 'Middle Kingdom'. This name dates back to the formation of the Chinese civilization. Literally, it is pretty much saying 'We are the center of all that is civilized and the universe. All others beyond our borders are barbarians.' This mindset can still be found in China today. Look in an [I believe that you refer to it as an] AP textbook on World History. It must be mentioned there.
    Civilizations heavily influenced by China's cultural sphere of influence such as Japan, Korea [both], and Vietnam also share this mindset to a certain extent. Its part of the reason why in most of these places you cannot become a citizen of the country without a strong blood tie to the people of the nation.

And the word 'barbarian' comes from a Greek word meaning 'those who cannot/do not speak Greek'.

I'm sure that there are also psychological precidents as to why people become racist. I believe that it has to do partly with our determination to make the world around us make sense; make everything have a definite place.
    Maybe a "I cannot/will not take the time to study and learn to accept other, strange cultures so different than my own, so I will just be hostile towards them." kind of thing.
  5. Link NO SWAG

Message Count:
    You are one of our stupidest members.
  6. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I think racism as always been around since the first people traveled to other places, that they were unaccustomed too.
  7. 4zac1 Member

Message Count:
    :lol: Funny because its so random. Would you care to elaborate?
  8. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    Holy shit I just noticed this.

We are racist, ESPECIALLY our older people against Whites and Blacks, I think your racism (Or what you think racism is) Is some sort of Slavery thing?
  9. noelsoong This machine does not require caffeine to operate.

Message Count:
    Racism existed every where.
  10. MayorEmanuel Do not weep, for salvation is coming.

Message Count:
    Have you noticed this Sunni/ Shi'ite fighting that has been going on for about a thousand years. Arabs are not immune to this. Zap Brannigan said it best, "when we first say a man who speaks a different language and had a different way of looking at things it has been our dream to kill him so we don't has to learn about his different language or his different way of looking at thing".

I think this thread is pretty much over.
  11. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    I think that qualifies as a religious dispute, not a racial one.
  12. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If you really, truly believe what you are saying then you really need to get out more. Seriously. Do you live in some fully educated rural community and have no access to any minorities?

History is full of examples of the thought process that goes with slavery, namely ignorance. If you lived 1000 years ago you wouldn't have a damn clue what the world looked like. You'd just live your life and be afraid and competitive with anything new you ever encountered.
  13. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    Well one day some fairly colored skin guy was walking and saw a white guy, the white guy was like holy shit hes different and then summoned the powers of Kali to kill him, and that is how Racism started with the Jews.

*I agree with Link.
  14. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    All the different Arab sub cultures (Sauds, Iraqi's, Jordanians, Egyptians, etc) look down on one another, and have engaged at one point in time with ethnic cleansing of the Kurds, so while Mayor's semantics may have been wrong, his spirit was correct.
  15. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Japan is unquestionably the most racist country on the planet.
  16. noelsoong This machine does not require caffeine to operate.

Message Count:
    Nope.avi
  17. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    I donno... China has more people... :lol: :lol: :lol:
  18. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    No Japan is pretty uhh racist when it comes to outsiders, tough with there ageing population and there eventually need for more immigration in due time its going to come back to bite them on the ass.
  19. Byzantium's Revenge Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This is a country where you can get turned away from bars just for being the wrong colour. Also, Japanese-only nights? Come on.
  20. noelsoong This machine does not require caffeine to operate.

Message Count:
    Racist my ass have you ever been to Japan? Wait actually i'm asian so that doesn't actually matter.