Prostitution Laws

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by 0bserver92, Mar 28, 2012.

1. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Nothing good comes from drinking soda. It's unhealthy. Should that be illegal? Nothing goog comes from internet gaming. Kids waste their time with it when they could be playing outside or doing other beneficial things. Should it be illegal?

Also, don't tell me you support criminalizing cigarettes as well. It's a matter of personal liberty. It's not the governments job to protect people from themselves, or tell them what they can or can not do when it doesn't harm others.

And "fucking for amusement"? Why the hell else would anybody fuck? To get pregnant? Nobody wants kids! What the hell?
    Sparticus 1244 likes this.
  2. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    I think your forgetting there are lots of other things that do that, like gaming wastes a lot of money that "America needs."
  3. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Multi-million dollar industry and stress/aggression relief. Also may be used to simulate and train individuals, as well as interactive instruction.
    Sexual tension relief.

True, but it is also a multi-million dollar industry and tends not to have major negative impacts if consumed in moderate amounts.
    See above.
    Playing outside and physical exertion is not as appealing as it seems. Beyond the obvious chances of bodily injury in the process of doing so, the chance that it is beneficial is primarily reliant on the interactions with others. The problem with that is that how that interaction proceeds [as in whether the relations with others that are established are benefcial or detrimental] is based on uncalculable and uncontrollable circumstances for the average person. While a benefcial interaction could potencially foster a lifelong relationship, equally possible is a negative interaction that could be the root of a tensions and stress, both of which are just as [and infact moreso] detrimental to the individual in the long run.

I would also remind you that doctors don't hold the dangers of a couple of hours of video games or a few cans of soda in any kind of proximity to the dangers posed by the smoking of cigarettes or unrestrained sexual intercourse.

Except that it has a massive impact on others.
    Second hand smoke is even more dangerous than first hand smoke since the smoker has the benefit of the poor, but present filter built into the cigarette. For those with impressionable individuals around such as dependents [specifically children] it teaches them an unhealthy habit. It is also an economic drain on a family unit, not only taking away what are likely much-needed funds, but also lowering the value of the property both housing the smoker and the surrounding properties.

Wow. That is an incredibly generalized statement born of misconception.
    How old are you?

You realize that reproduction is part of the NATURAL cycle of any species, right?
    You realize that approximately 10% of women are infertile, but still want to have children, right?
    You realize that surrogacy is a booming industry, right?

While fools may buy into the whole idea of 'bachalor's life', the truth is that the vast majority of people will settle down and have families. It is these people on which the world of tomorrow is built on.
    Not that it would matter to people who have clearly absolutely no concern for the world of tomorrow or their fellow humans, nor the natural urge to continue their lineage by fostering progeny. Truely are these people less than parasites in the society that should be erraticated. They are detrimental to the continuation and success of our species.
  4. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Oh boy. Let's take this on..
    Prostitution could become a huge industry. And I've seen quite a lot of kids who waste their lives with things like videogames.

You heard it here kids, don't go out and socialize, you might get hurt, or worse, you might have to experience real social interaction.

True, but it is also a multi-million dollar industry and tends not to have major negative impacts if consumed in moderate amounts.
    See above.
    Besides, I enjoy smoking cigarettes, who are you to tell me I can't smoke them just because they're dangerous to me? And if secondhand smoke is so bad, how come I've never seen anybody hurt from it? Secondhand smoke, while real, is extremely over-exagerated and over-hyped.

Okay, you completely missed the point. I made a joke, and it was to prove the point that people are allowed to "fuck for amusement" as Kara put it.
    Sparticus 1244 likes this.
  5. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Imperials entire argument was "It makes people money, therefore non-productive behaviour is okay"

So who's side are you on again Imp? Oh and Obesity(caused by unhealthy lifestyles which are an obvious waste of time) is a LOT more dangerous then having a lot of sex, and more dangerous then cigarettes. Obesity effects virtually every part of your body in a negative way , people who are overweight or obese put a huge weight on our health care system and in Canada cost people a lot of money.

Your video game argument is like but.. but.. no!! Like seriously lots of drugs are multi million dollar industries that give you stress relief (aggression relief doesn't exist unless your a fucking psychopath) . Oh and train individual's, LOL tell me what practical skills you learned in total war recently? It's a total waste of time just like drugs , eating too much food or watching TV.

You're arguing against cigerettes and that industry makes plenty of money. I think your second hand smoke argument is pretty hilarious because when you breath out smoke it has not only gone through the filter but also through your lungs sucking out the nicotine. the amount of a cig that is burnt off from you idoling is TINY, it burns slowly enough that you must be in a very small space to even inhale it.

You are not innocent. Admit it you are arguing against these things because you feel special when you persecute others for what they do with their life. Get over yourself.
  6. Lenin Cat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Prostitution should be legal, buts its wrong. Any sort of sex work, especially in a patriarchal world, is degrading of human sexuality, women in particular.
  7. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    So long as the brothels are clean and the nice ladies get paid, no one should give a fuck. ( Feel free to buy one though!)
  8. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:
    I used to be alive, when it was legal. *sadface*
  9. JosefVStalin El Presidente

Message Count:
    For those of you wanting to get some context around this issue in Canada, the CBC did segment about this. They talked to the lawyer involved in the case and the head of the sex workers of Canada.

Btw the prostitute they brought on to talk about this issue is amazing. Definitely the smartest sex worker I have ever seen and is probably smarter than 99% of the population.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/1244504890/ID=2215622538
  10. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    I'm assuing you see a lot of sex workers then?
    OH SNAP!
  11. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Looks like Canada will soon be getting a shitload of sex-tourists.
  12. Dreagon Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't think prostitution should exist but it's impossible to get rid off. That's why it's best to legalise and regulate it. But I might be biased, I'm from the Netherlands after all.
  13. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Thank you for countering half the of the sentence that you quoted. Now to the next level.
    Now you are just dismissing an argument rather than addressing it.
    Furthermore, you are claiming that something that is a valid concern is not.
    Wrong.
    Smoking once can still damage your lungs. There is no such thing as a 'first time, the All-Mighty protects you from damage, so you can experience the good side of smoking with no consequences'.
    And the second paragraph just contradicts itself. On one hand, you say that there is no damage to others; on the other hand, you try to downplay the damage, hence acknowledging that it is there.
    And the degree of damage isn't really as important as the presence of the damage itself. If a man hits his wife JUST ONCE the damage is considered to be roughly the same as if he beat her on a regular basis. Similarly, if a child is exposed to second-hand smoke just once, the damage, though lesser, is considered just as severe as if it was a lifelong condition that the child lived under.
    It was an exceptionally bad joke.
    I was literally dismayed for the whole of the human species at your post.
    Wow, I get hate mail.
    My arguments are not folly, you just refuse to admit to their ligitimacy.

I said in moderate amounts. Key term was 'moderate'.
    And the degree of danger posed by obesity is easier negated and thrown off than the permanent damage of smoking.

My argument about video games is only slightly lesser than my point about second-hand smoke. There are military and police organizations around the US that use simulators for training. Where did they get the idea? Guess.
    Furthermore, note that UC Berkley has actually started a class for Starcraft.

I can only advise you to look up the dangers of second-hand smoke.
  14. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yeah being obese doesn't cause any permanen- AHAHOFQHHOFQWOHFQOIHFQOIHf oh man I almost said it too.

Your response to my arguments is "you just refuse to admit their legitimacy"...

People can chain smoke all their life and only die far past their expiry date(my grandmother who started at 12 died at 80 for instance). Someone who's obese all their life with type 2 diabetes isn't like to make it past 55. If you were to live in California your lungs would be just as bad as being a smoker from all the air pollution.

Okay so people have soldiers play video games, super good initiative for everyone to play video games, making your shooting reaction time better will really help out in modern day life, the vast amount of hours people pour into it is justified because now they are slightly better candidates for the local militia.

Again your just prosecuting people because they made life decisions you did not make.
  15. shlacka Member

Message Count:
    guy: "Bill, we had a vote, fucking's out, you were asleep."
    Bill Hicks: ". . . . . . . can I still vote?"

But seriously, paying for something otherwise completely acceptable doesn't make it wrong. I don't see sex itself being "degraded", it's not exactly the "purest expression of love" sort of nonsense some people imagine it as. Also, it's not the cause behind women being degraded and criminalizing it doesn't help.
  16. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Ok. It looks like I have to clear some things up.

There are degrees of reasoning, I suppose that you can call it, when placing something into any catagory.
    Basically, whether something should be illegal is a measure of the pros and cons that it produces.
    Take video games for example, as it was [I freely admit] not the strongest of my argument points. While one can debate that it produces its greater attributes [some of which I listed] to only a miniscule level, the fact of the matter is that it still resides on a 'good' side of the scale. While yes, individuals could be doing alot more productive actions in place of playing video games, the fact of the matter is that it does not carry any major negative reprecussions. At any one time, one can take a snapshot of the activities of the populations in First World coutries and likely find numerous activities being done that can be substituted with something more productive. However, that is not a reason in those societies to ban it.

Leading up to my argument about prostitution, I will make something clear.
    There are at least three definitions of analysis to the determination of whether something is good or bad.
    The first is morals and ethics. The second is logic. The third is evidence/hard proof.

In the case of prostitution, I am objectent on the basis that it is a literal breeding-ground for STDs, which could cause havok in the population.
    It is true that it has been argued [as Lenin Cat duly pointed out] that it is degrading. Whist I believe this to be true, I would probably not use it in a debate with such an unpredictable audience.
    It is also true that one can make a ethics argument [related to the one above] about the morality of prostitution, but I would not use that as a point in a debate either, unless I was certain of the audience.

As for the argument that smoking is not necessarily life-threatening: yes, I know that you can smoke and still live long. But that is not necessarily quality life. Even if it is, the affects on others need to be accounted for. Just because a child will potentially live for 80 years does not give you the right to shorten his/her life with second-hand smoke. Its not a choice that you have the right to make for them when they cannot, in many cases literally, decide against it.

While the link is not as strong as it ought to be, I would point out that the class at UC Berkley advises its students to read the Art of War, which, contrary to popular belief, is increadibly useful in exercises in judgement, if nothing else.

On the contrary, I don't give two ****s about what you do with your life, so long as it does not negatively impact myself or someone I care about.
  17. shlacka Member

Message Count:
    If we want to stop the spread of STDs, we need to stop raising irresponsible little children. There's a multitude of reasons for the little brats not maturing until, well, never, but mainly I blame compulsory education and bad parenting.
  18. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Good parenting wouldn't necessarily stop STDs. As for the compulsatory education system... care to elaborate?
  19. shlacka Member

Message Count:
    Basically, education (in America at least) isn't designed to educate, but to create passive, boring little cookie-cutter office drones and factory workers with no interest in anything and no minds of their own. They are therefore stuck as immature children who obey authority on command, unless they are lucky enough to find a couple of sparks of inspiration in their bland little worlds. For the most part, you are either of the irresponsible, idiotic masses or of the smaller "elite" who grow to resent them. I can easily see why you would disagree with this and I'll create another thread if you want to discuss it further, but that's basically how I feel.

And I know there's more to it than parenting, I just think that's a major factor.
    The Shaw likes this.
  20. Imperial1917 City-States God of War

Message Count:
    Go ahead and create the thread.