Should the IRS Be Banned?

Discussion in 'The Political/Current Events Coffee House' started by BRC98, Feb 15, 2011.

?

Should The IRS Be Banned

Yes 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No 7 vote(s) 100.0%
  1. BRC98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    A argument put into action recently.
  2. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Nope... And I wish Ron Paul didn't believe this and the flat tax... It would be nice to see someone else in power.
  3. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    If it will stop all the bad jokes hell yes even though I'm Canadian and don't care really.
  4. Chenobyl New Member

Message Count:
    Taxes pay for everything from the streets you drive on to the schools librarys you're educated in to the Fire department and police stations, and if your not in the US healthcare. Its Naive to think modern society would function without taxes. Unless you just mean tax enforcement, in which case its still needed to keep track of everything. :ugeek:
  5. Ahobowithaids Member

Message Count:
    Simply "banning" the IRS doesn't solve anything, nor is it truly plausible. As to whether or not it needs reform- somethings gotta change, but I'm not sure if its the Agency itself or the Federal System.

If the problem does lie with the U.S. system, the solution is NOT a flat tax.
  6. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Well the alternative is a smaller government where things like that are privatized. Anarcho libertarians argue that since the competition derived from the private sector ensures that the public is getting a better product, everything but national security should be privatized. In such a system taxes would be almost unnecessary (it's also coupled with a more isolationist foreign policy, so you wouldn't see the giant defense expenditures you do nowadays)
  7. Fenrir 1576 Member

Message Count:
    Well, just because it's privatized doesn't necessarily mean it is a better product all round, my father is an electrician from a state run sewage treatment plant, and he has some horror stories about privately run sewage facilities and the lines they used running into total disrepair (imagine raw sewage leaking into the ground, yeah). Honestly I wouldn't trust a private company with the water I drink or any of the sewage lines near my house.
  8. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    I agree there are certain things that need to be run and maintained by the Government (if you read the rest of my posts on here I think that'd be fairly obvious). Just merely playing devils advocate and showing there all alternatives that would allow for a different method of taxation that would make the IRS unnecessary.
  9. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    Sorry to say it but taxes are needed for social survival. Though they may take different forms in different societies. Banning taxes is like banning food. Ben Franklin said their are only 2 things to be sure of in life, Death and Taxes
  10. Fenrir 1576 Member

Message Count:
    Ah, sorry, haven't perused as much of the forums since its expanding so rapidly, I just went on what you said.
  11. Ahobowithaids Member

Message Count:
    There's simply no way to deny the fact that there must be at least some taxes (and quite a bit of government control, since many of you seem to be opposing that as well). I think you guys are confusing taxes in general with the IRS, the Administrative Agency in charge of regulating them. Dismantling the IRS is not the same as removing taxes, and the reason for wanting the IRS gone is not just "so there aren't any more taxes."
  12. pedro3131 Running the Show While the Big Guy's Gone

Message Count:
    Well as the theory goes, the less taxes you need the less government agents you need to collect those taxes. If you listen to the Paul's or any libertarian talk about why they want to eliminate the fed it's primarily because they believe in less taxes and it naturally stems the IRS would shrink in that event.