The irrational disdain of the wealthy

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by The Shaw, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Chives Newest Member

Message Count:
    That statement is undeniable proof that you're 13.
    slydessertfox, The Shaw and UnitRico like this.
  2. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Care to explain Kali? This is, after all, the point toward which humanity has been heading toward for the past couple of hundred thousand years, at which point we started to move out of the central African plains.
  3. Chives Newest Member

Message Count:
    Couple hundred thousand?

Are you like a reverse Christian?
  4. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Anyone who knows anything about anything knows that Chinese workers are treated slightly better than slaves. I almost didn't post that statement because I thought I'd merely be repeating common knowledge. I guess some people are just too ignorant to stay informed about the world.
  5. Jingles Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Is it seriously news to everyone that not everybody actually wants to be a multi-billionaire? And that such people are as a result justifiably wary of the amount of power the rich hold in our society? And even if everyone wanted to be rich, the truth is that realistically not everybody can be. It's in the best interests of democracy for people to be critical of any one group that holds a very large portion of wealth and influence. I think perhaps the rich should stop taking it personally. Or rather, people who are supportive of the rich should stop taking it personally, since I'm quite sure Bill Gates et al really don't care and have far more important things to occupy their time with.
  6. Chives Newest Member

Message Count:
    Again, more proof.
    If he wasn't 13, he'd understand market economics better.
  7. Nick Richards New Member

Message Count:
    Most rich people are extremely irresponsible i hate the owners of production because they are 'given' the task of supplying the working class with jobs, but care more about making money than contribuiting to society.
    And i also dont think that greed is a natural human thing and that a lot of people strive not for success but for the furtherance of the human race.
    General Mosh likes this.
  8. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    This particular statement has little to do with market economics. And I don't see why you'd even both to quote me if you wont can't bother to directly refer to me in your post.
  9. Demondaze Xenos Scum

Message Count:
    Define greed.
  10. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    We need to remove the working class, not the rich. It's natural that people are envious of the wealthy, but it's far more important that we crush the festering underclass than try to leech off of the rich.
    First, what Chives said. Second, a "global society" is an unfathomably terrible concept. The idea that the average person has an obligation to everyone else on the planet is terrible, but the idea that we should sacrifice anything of our own for the sake of those nameless masses is truly disgusting.
    Yes. I'm pretty sure everyone wants to have access to whatever their heart desires. It's true that not everything can be bought with money, but all of the cool shit can.
    The Shaw likes this.
  11. Achtung Kommunisten! Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, European Union
    So, the original post asks why there's an irrational hatred of rich people, and no-one's brought up that Jesus quote about camels and needles? I thought you Americans were a bunch of christian fundamentalists! If I hate rich people for any reason, it would be that wealth for wealth's sake is surely immoral. It's like everything else really though; there have been 'good' rich people and there have been 'bad' rich people.
  12. Jingles Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well sure, everyone would love to have huge sums of money in their posession, but that's not really what I meant. Realistically, not everyone wants to be a multi-billionaire, because not everyone wants to actually work in fields that can lead to that kind of wealth. I, for instance, ideally want to be an illustrator for a publishing company. Maybe branch into set design, or if I'm really lucky, end up working on a small videogame development team. None of these career paths are going to give me a billion dollar bank account, but neither do I want to go on a career path that would. As nice as it would be to have that kind of money. And this is basically true of most people - they, obviously would love to have all the money in the world but realistically don't actually want to try and become part of the so-called 1%.

If you see what I mean.
  13. Nick Richards New Member

Message Count:
    The carefree trampling of others for personal gain.
  14. Mobmaster Is Ozan

Message Count:
    To answer the question, people who want to be rich to be better than people/feel more succesfull are bad people.

I grew up in a shitty neighboorhood (Pretty much the Dutch Projects(that means it was probably okay-ish by US standards), and now live in 'Rich' Suburbia. And have had extensive contact with all the classes. In my experience moderately-rich people tend to be miserable, because usually they are too money oriented, keeping up with the joneses, gossiping etc.

The super-rich are allot of fun though, as long as they're not stuck up. As for them money is not a problem, they do not worry about whose richest etc.

I am one of those people who hates the greedy, and they tend to be people who are rich. For example, Healthcare, anyone who is against universal healthcare is in my oppinion immoral, and it tends to be rich people who dont want it. And why??? Because they would have less money, i mean they value 5% of their income higher than human lives, and allot of them.

You also mentioned striving to be succesfull, i think to be honest it is outrageous that you can link this so closely to wealth, but i think this is a diffrence in culture, and why the standad of living and happiness of your country is so much lower than in the Social-Democracies of Western Europe. Is wealth really that big of a factor in what you would say to be succes?

To sum it up, it is not wealth wich is the enemy it is greed and retarded priorities, if being wealthy is your main ambition, you are a blight on humanity, and must be eliminated imo.
  15. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    Your question wasn't "Is it seriously news to everyone that not everybody wants to be a venture capitalist?" or "Is it seriously news to everyone that not everybody wants to be a venture capitalist?" It was, "Is it seriously news to everyone that not everybody actually wants to be a multi-billionaire?" There's no reason at all for me to infer that you're talking about how people don't want to assume the responsibilities of a big-time businessman. You stated very plainly that you didn't think that everyone wanted to be a multi-billionaire, which is a preposterous assertion. A multi-billionaire is not defined by any profession or lifestyle, it is defined by its wealth. Everybody in their right mind wants wealth, and a lot of it.
  16. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hardly, until we transfrom this planet's population into a global society then it will be impossible to keep in check the various variables that effect the quality of life of every single person that currently live on this planet. And it is people like you, with that unfathomably selfish opinion, that truly holds back human society. All that you care for is the power that your own country holds for itself, because then you are in a position of greater power and have greater security for the time being.

Anti-progressionist beliefs such as this cause immense harm and damage to what the world needs in order to survive this next millenia.
    Jingles, General Mosh and Mobmaster like this.
  17. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    And it's supposedly desirable to do so? What interest do I have in establishing control over the lives of every single person on the planet?
    Progress is one-directional, and of course you know the direction and how to get there. Far be it from me to question your no doubt watertight understanding of the human condition.

Excuse me for disagreeing with your incredibly vague notions of authoritarian "progress".
    I'm only going to be around for a few decades. I have no desire to reshape the world, nor do I think that doing so is ever conscionable. Life as it is now is good, and if that life is not conducive to the survival of the human race, then so be it. Whether or not our species is going to be around in a century has no impact on my life, so I certainly won't be sacrificing anything on the behalf of your amorphous "global community" to ensure that all of those nameless, faceless people can have a greater share of this planet's resources.
    Again with this nonsense. My happiness is not dependent on the survival of the human race in the next millenia. Nor is yours. To expect me to give up something of my own for the sake of "the human race" is to expect me to sacrifice my personal happiness for the sake of your self-righteousness and misguided ideals. Far more disturbing than the man who will not give to the dying is the man who would take from others to do so.

It's just a fundamental truth that the left is incapable of solving problems without applying force. They cannot get their way without trampling all over the people they are supposedly trying to protect. What's worse is that 99% of the time they don't expect any good to come of their actions until long after they're dead and gone.
    The Shaw likes this.
  18. Mobmaster Is Ozan

Message Count:
    @Kali

Are you a troll, a retard, very sad sad man, or just evil?

I mean seriously what the flying fuck...
    General Mosh likes this.
  19. Kali The World's Best Communist

Message Count:
    Such an intelligent response you have there. I am not a troll, I'm not retarded or in any other way mentally impaired (and am, in fact, a genius), I very much enjoy my life, and I obviously don't consider myself evil.
    slydessertfox and The Shaw like this.
  20. Mobmaster Is Ozan

Message Count:
    You're response is just as stupid according to the rules of rethorica.
    If what you say is true, i think you are emotionally impaired, or atleast socially, maybe that's it you're just really autistic
    General Mosh likes this.