The Ottoman Empire

Discussion in 'Historical Events Coffee House' started by TheFriendlypie, Oct 29, 2011.

1. TheFriendlypie Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I only know bits and pieces of their glorious history. None the less the Turks have remained one of the few non-western countries to become western on their own desires (Japan and Russia the only ones I can thing of). For me its that they were a nomadic tribe from central Asia that pushed into Anatolia and Iraq, then went to war with the Byzantines and Crusader States. Eventually where destroyed by Mongols, then came back and took Constantinople. Forged the Ottoman Empire from there on. And from The fall of Constantinople to the siege of Vienna is a complete grey spot for me (also from Russia's conquest of the Northern Crimea to about the Crimean war is a grey spot for me too).

So yeah, throw in anything you know about them. Nothing too negative (If you're a Greek dont complain, Ottomans conquered you fair and square.), just throw in stuff.
  2. General Mosh Citystates Founder!

Message Count:
    I'm mad they were destroyed after WW1...
  3. Toast Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Why? They were the "sick man of Europe". It's better that they went out with a bang as opposed to beating the shit out of each other in the streets.
  4. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    Fun fact: They weren't losing in WWI, and were actually the last nation to surrender, and then only because they realized that now that Austria and Germany were out of the picture, the Allies would focus on them. Following that, the allies, particularly France and Greece, attempted to split the empire up between the Allies, much how the did with the rest of the Middle East, as well as awarding large parts of Anatolia to Greece and Armenia. This resulted in the so-called Turkish War of independence against the Allies and a separate war with Greece, practically a continuation of WWI, from which the Turkish Republic emerged amidst an Armenian genocide.
    Interesting shit, in my opinion.
  5. Kalalification Guest

Rather detestable lot. On the one hand I commend them for playing an active role in European geopolitics, but on the other I despise the way they simultaneously betrayed Islam and Western ideals.

Even at their highest high points I would consider them a worthy replacement to the Abbasids or to the Byzantines.
  6. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I think you are mixing the Ottomans with the Sejuks.
  7. TheFriendlypie Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sejuks were the first real "truks" in the middle-east, but my knowledge of the Turks is sketchy so I wont disagree with you.
  8. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Well the Sejuks were the Turkish tribe that migrated to the area like you said. I believe the Ottomans were a Turkish tribe from (Nicaea?), and proceeded to take over the declining rule of the Sejuks. I am no expert on the Turks though. Might wanna just wait for Byzantines Revenge to come along.
  9. TheFriendlypie Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'd, rather he not arrive. Most Greeks I've come in contact with are... lets say "hateful" (as an understatement) toward Turkey. Then again, he shows no signs of Greek nationalism.
  10. The Shaw Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second

Message Count:
    The Seljuqs were the first Turkish Empire.
    [IMG]
    After the dissolved several Turkish States emerged, among them the Sultanate of Rum, which I believe became the Ottoman Empire. But, for the beginning anyway, there was no unified Turkish state attacking the Byzantines, but several states each trying to carve their own slice of empire, until the Ottomans unified them.
  11. Romulus211 Proconsul

Message Count:
    I don't know why but whenever I play EU3 I always have urges to utterly Humiliate, Ravage, and Obliterate them. I really respect their empire and I enjoy learning about them.
  12. Tito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Care to explain?
  13. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    They are a fun topic to learn about. Its cool they lasted so long. Reading about them attacking Europe in the 1500s is just as cool as hearing about them in World War I. Also, Turks like Mehmed II, and Suleiman the Magnificent are very interesting.
  14. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Hes not Greek hes Scottish...
  15. thelistener Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well one of their best army troops were slaves and I think that's fascinating.
    But why did they conquer Balkans and try to invade Austria?
    I also find funny that slaves took Egypt away from ottomans and they never really cared to fix that :D
  16. PineappleJoe Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    In theire early days they were superior to all theire european counterparts, they alsoo had fredom of religion.
  17. D3adtrap www.twitter.com/d3adtrap | Mr. Choc: Coco Fruits

Message Count:

Well they lost in almost every single battle they got them selves into and what about Erzurum Offensive?(Russian offensive) Russians lost 1 000 men as opposed to Ottomans 79 000 + 5 000 captured. If they do that bad when defending, its just sad.
  18. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Didn't Germans and Austrians-Hungarians try to help out the Ottomans on certain fronts?
  19. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Thats what I find interesting, that Germany and Austrio-Hungary were actually on the same side with the Ottoman Empire.
  20. battleearl Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Austria had fought numerous wars against the Ottomans, but in WW1 they had a common enemies.