Web on Strike, JVS joining?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Bart, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Not only Google. Wikipedia relies completely on donations. Now, they may not have a huge office somewhere in the States, but they do have servers which would be a huge pain to move to Canada or the Kingdom, if possible at all. After all, it's private property of some volunteer, and I can easily understand that person doesn't want to give away some $1.000,- server.

And as for the article: This doesn't mean the plans are off, far from. They will just wait until all the attention is over, and they can quietly enact the bill.
  2. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If a dystopian future comes from the bill, what will you do?
  3. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Of course, smaller organisations and businesses will suffer under this bill a lot, but in the end, after a few years, I suspect that these sites will rise again in another country. Then, they can be accessed again by the entirety of the world, except for US citizens who don't know how to use proxies.

The White House itself said they were against the bill. Something with the scale of this isn't going to pass quietly.
  4. Karakoran Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If we go on strike, could that possibly cut into the tribune elections?
  5. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    No the elections finish tomorrow and the proposed day was wednesday.
  6. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Probably not. I think the elections will end tomorrow, right?

Except for US citizens who don't know how to use proxies? Do you know how many people that would be? Hell, 90% of the people I know don't even have an idea what a proxy is! And it's those businesses will not survive. The voluntary organisations just won't survive, and the small businesses will probably not survive either. They would have to move to a foreign country, including the owner, and set up the company there all over. It's easier just to find another job.

And it's up to us to make sure it won't. If a Republican rises to power this year (which I strongly hope won't happen), the White House probably will not be opposed. It's better to kill it off now, and make it clear the people, all over the world, are strongly opposed.

EDIT:
    I got ninja'd. :-(
  7. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nah, it's easier to be apathetic.
  8. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    -_-'
    Why would I take you seriously?
  9. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You want an honest answer, this bill sucks. Yet I just like opposing this shit because I want to make everyone feel the same way as me: apathetic.
  10. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    And again, you didn't gimme a serious answer.
  11. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    And the sad thing about this all is that you're absolutely right. And even better, it won't stop piracy whatsoever, as those sites can and will easily move to a different country. But really, I did hear several companies say they were going to move to some random island to avoid this bill. Smaller businesses usually don't have millions of dollars of data stored, so moving, while tedious and expensive, is still an option. Finding another job, especially in the current economic situation (god, I feel like El Presidente now) isn't very easy.

The thing is that most of the users of the sites that are joining the strike are already aware that SOPA is a ridiculous idea. The people who made this proposition quite clearly have no understanding of the internet whatsoever, and I doubt a few sites going down for a single day is going to do anything, especially a small and insignificant one as this one.
    FeyBart likes this.
  12. UnholyKnight800 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Why so serious Fey? Ok, I'll see if I can do this:

My serious answer is no, I don't see the point in shutting down the site because I see no evidence of the other smaller sites and forums will be joining a strike. Our impact will be minimal but maybe more seen. The major sites will probably get more attention than others. Also this bill has a huge chance of being defeated as any House or Administration will be hit with a major backlash and most likely this bill will not survive long if passed.
  13. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    And that's my whole point. The main sites which distribute torrents aren't in the US at all. I think The Pirate Bay is in Sweden/the Netherlands, but I'm not sure about Kick Ass Torrents, though. I think it's European, but I'm not sure.

This site isn't small and insignificant. We have hundreds and hundreds of users besides the ones that actually log in. Most of those people aren't very involved in politics, they just want to watch some gaming video's, and that's exactly the public we want to get. The people organizing the strike would be cheering if they see us joining.

But what if it does pass? Our impact will probably be bigger than expected. And what would we have lost if it has little to no impact? A few hours of chatting with friends. No big deal.
  14. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I think most have their servers somewhere in Eastern Europe or something.

Hundreds and hundreds of people (most of which already oppose SOPA) are still very insignificant if you're talking about the internet.[/quote]
  15. Bart (Moderator) NKVD Channel Maintainer

Message Count:
    Fun fact: Did you know that The Pirate Bay actually tried to buy Sealand to place their servers on? Too bad it didn't work, though.

It isn't for a petition. And again, if we have ten of websites comparable with ours, it wouldn't be so insignificant anymore.
  16. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    There's only one true Sealand, and that's Zeeland!

I know it isn't for a petition, but what the replacement frontpage seems to do is tell people what SOPA is and why it's bad, which basically everyone on the internet knows. Not to mention even 5000 people is very insignificant for the internet, most of which people already know about SOPA, what this seems to be all about.
    As for this being an action to show Congress people are against this, then it's really going to do nothing. I mean, take down the site all you want, but especially for a day, it's going to do barely anything.
  17. LeonTrotsky Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, we could just write our Congressman. It actually does work, as long as you have good grammar. Google is a multibillion dollar company used by billions of people a day. If they go down, shit goes down.
  18. bread8756 Member

Message Count:
    Well Wikipedia has joined this protest offcially.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.